Daft Punk - Is it me?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Patch

Post by Patch » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:02 am

b0unce wrote:please daft punk, if you're reading this...
LMFAO!

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:54 am

Discovery is ridiculous.

OK, there are a few good songs, but it's mostly filler. Homework is one of the best electronic albums EVER, and Human After All is worlds better than Discover. Check 'em.
I'm flying to Seattle to see them this weekend. :p

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:09 am

I know alot of people who be lik " 8O " when i say i dont like daft punk.
I just dont think there music has that solid touch... to empty and repeatative. :?

Patch

Post by Patch » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:12 am

I'm not a huge fan. But I loved Homework back in the day. And I'm sure I've lost my mind in a club to many a Daft Punk track without knowing it was a Daft Punk track.

knowhatimsayin'?

And let us not forget - they are ROBOTS - not people...

robin

Post by robin » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:16 am

Patch wrote:I'm not a huge fan. But I loved Homework back in the day. And I'm sure I've lost my mind in a club to many a Daft Punk track without knowing it was a Daft Punk track.

knowhatimsayin'?
I'd be surpised if you didn't recognise a Daft Punk track Patch, but the above is probably true of Bangalters solo work. Some of that Roule stuff is very good indeed. It heavily influenced a lot of people at the time.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:19 am

I'm not a big Daft Punk fan, but I really liked Discovery.

matsimpson

Post by matsimpson » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:20 am

I think they're great, and their live show is fantastic - saw them at the 02 Wireless festival in London. Their live music eclipses their albums by far. the sampling on discovery is a bit..well they dont really try and change it too much do they? :P Aerodynamic is great though, as is digital love, harder better faster stronger, crescendolls...the rest of the songs are still pretty good. Human After All is abit too repetitive for me really; all the synths sound the same on it and there are about 5 good tracks(technologic, robot rock,television rules the nation, human after all, prime time of your life) but the rest feels like filler.
But for the Daft Punk I like best, check out their live show. It's incredible!

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:30 pm

funky shit wrote:I know alot of people who be lik " 8O " when i say i dont like daft punk.
I just dont think there music has that solid touch... to empty and repeatative. :?
Yeah, it doesn't really go anywhere. I was watching a live video and the lights were amazing, ruined by a flanged out one measure 70s sample and stale beat. Boooorring. BORING!

And FYI, if you disagree, you're stupid. :) :twisted:

pixelbox

Post by pixelbox » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:41 pm

Whatever.
I want to be an android when I grow up...or a fire truck, maybe. I dunno.

phil909

Re: Daft Punk - Is it me?

Post by phil909 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:02 pm

pulsoc wrote:Ok here is a good troll-bait thread. I spent about an hour yesterday listening to Daft Punk and watching videos trying to find one good redeeming thing about them. I failed.

What's the deal??
how long do you think it would take daft punk to find anything redeeming about you?

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:03 pm

mdme_sadie wrote:They basically appeared at a time to bring back a lot of the sounds of bands such as Kraftwerk when there was nothing else sounding like that. That made them a bit of a breath of fresh air, fusing the electronic with a more uptempo disco beat.

I think they owe more to italo stuff than kraftwerk.

and i like italo stuff better.

just an opinion.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

BoimB son of BoB

Post by BoimB son of BoB » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:10 pm

in 2006 they had a liveshow that was a total rip-off from kraftwerk in my opinion. although it was a good party, the fact that they actually covered the kraftwerk intro completely always bothered me.

and most of their work isn't even original... they are more like cover/remix band, bur rather keep this info for themselves.

they lost my respect, whether that's justified or not...

BoimB son of BoB

Post by BoimB son of BoB » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:17 pm

mdme_sadie wrote:They basically appeared at a time to bring back a lot of the sounds of bands such as Kraftwerk when there was nothing else sounding like that. That made them a bit of a breath of fresh air, fusing the electronic with a more uptempo disco beat.
well what a coincidence that this same year kraftwerk did a mayor tour again after how many years??

how convenient. and ok, let's face it, i went to a kraftwerk live performance, and it's not as uplifting as the daft punk material, but it was cool in it's own niche.

maybe daft punk got asked to do this, but i don't think so, and i wonder what the kraftwerk grandpa's thought about it

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:16 pm

Homework

binarywords

Post by binarywords » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:20 pm

Daft Punk is like Jazz. If you have to ask, you'll never know.