End Program But Process Stays Active Help Please

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Advent57

End Program But Process Stays Active Help Please

Post by Advent57 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:47 pm

Ive just installed Live 6.0.7 on a new pc and this has started happening, i shut down the program and all seems ok until i load it again and i am told that Live is already running, any ideas please? The program will still load again but i have it listed twice in Task Managfer Processes.

Thankyou
Advent57

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:48 pm

yeah i get tha too.

i dont know if its live or a rogue plugin not closing properly or maybe a sound port isnt letting go but i resort to task manager too.

Advent57

Post by Advent57 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:57 pm

sorry i forgot to mention this is on a dual boot XP 32 and Vista 64, Live is on the Xp os

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:59 am

Sometimes unplugging a usb midi device will help

Tofuik

Post by Tofuik » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:32 am

I'd had it happen on my XP machine a few times with 5 and once with 6 so far, I just manually end process, I think it might be my mbox2 that makes it happen sometimes
Broken urban soundscapes with an ambient aftertaste.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:07 am

I get that all the time...
I think it has to do with closing midi ports...

zsazsa

Post by zsazsa » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:27 pm

i get that when i switch off my fast track pro before closing live (same happens to itunes).
As long as I don´t remove any device, it works fine.
This is on XP, though.

Rainstorm

Re: End Program But Process Stays Active Help Please

Post by Rainstorm » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:01 pm

I am getting the same problem in opening post, except i am using ableton live suite 11 (11.0.10). After close of the software the following processes as seen in task manager do not close and stay in memory indefinately...

Ableton Index.exe (71MB)
Ableton Live 11 Suite.exe (337MB)
Ableton Web Connector.exe (21MB)

If i open and close more than one ableton then i get multiple processes above kept im memory.

On another note i do not like Ableton Web Connector.exe taking up my cpu on and of all the time, takes 5-10%. Would like to know how to stop it starting/running, I would guess it is not essential.

Rainstorm

Post by Rainstorm » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:16 pm

I checked again, by loading ableton first time, closing it, then waiting and opening it 2nd time and closing it 2nd time. Of the processes below...

Ableton Index.exe (71MB)

I end up with...

2x Ableton Index.exe (71MB)
2x Ableton Live 11 Suite.exe (337MB)
1x Ableton Web Connector.exe (21MB)

So the Ableton Web Connector does not multiply like the others.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:40 am

Probably not the same issue as reported 14 years ago, often best when that many years passes to open a new ticket!

Your "issue" is probably more one of 2 things:
- Live is doing an automated update and so when closed is downloading files and updating the application in the background.
- Live is doing some database maintenance or scanning files for the file database it uses.

The processes will almost always quit on their own eventually. If you do not want the updates then disable that in options.

Rainstorm

Post by Rainstorm » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:49 pm

I solved this issue, read on...

I use Ableton Live 11 Suite.

Of the three ableton processes below, I would have all three left open and running after I close ableton, all three still running (as seen in task manager processes tab) even hours after I closed ableton.

Ableton Index.exe (71MB)

If i then ran ableton live again and then closed ableton live I would be left with 2x each of the three processes above. These stayed running for hours after close too.

Solution...

1) In ableton Options -> Preferences under Licenses / Maintenance tab I unselected "Get automatic updates" which had been turned on by default on instrall. Note I believe "Send usage data" was always off, its set to off now anyway.
Doing these things in step 1 stopped one of the processes (Ableton Web Connector.exe) from still running after I close ableton. So thats one down.

2) Both other processes still stay running after ableton closes, to stop them running I did a few things and I am not sure which worked. I did this... A) I set sound forge as my sample editor. B) Under File / Folder I set Minimum Free Space to 5GB. I set Maximum cache size to ON and 2GB. I clicked cleanup. I left the default cache folder the same. C) Link Tempo Midi has my midi controller settings in here already I did not change them, I use a Korg microkey air something 37. D) Under Audio tab - I was on asio4all v2. I changed it to driver type asio then "Magix Low Latency 2016" which I must have had installed from other Magix programs I have. Under Input config I unselected "Mono Inputs 1 & 2", I also unselected "Stereo Inputs 1/2" (previously i had seen level meters bouncing up and down going green so they were recording or listening to something, maybe out of my jack sockets with nothing plugged into them. I left Output config as it were with Mono Outputs 1 ^ 2 selected on and stereo outputs 1/2 selected on. Under hardware setup I set the asio buffer size to 512 samples. (fyi my soundcard is inbuilt called "Realtek High Definition Audio". In out sample rate of 44100Default SR and pitch conversion set to on. driver error compensation 0.00ms. everything else on page as default.
DOING THIS STEP 2 - Solved my problem completely, now when I close ableton live 11 suite the ableton index process lingers for a few seconds then closes and ableton live 11 suite process closes immediately.

Problem is now completely solved.
FYI as a side effect of having this problem previosuly i was having to end process tree the ableton processes and i found sometimes project save files in my recycle bin, i dont know if that is normal behavior, sometimes lots. Anyway i no lobger have this problem.

similiar/same problem thread...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=105038&p=1795538#p1795538

Rainstorm

Post by Rainstorm » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:53 pm

Note, ableton cache was turned off completely before i enabled it, I suspect that was a main cause of this problem.