Motu Ultralite, RME Fireface 400, TC Konnekt Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Motu Ultralite, RME Fireface 400, TC Konnekt Live

Post by 4.33 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:08 pm

while my m-audio 410 is slowly dying I'm scratching my head between these three interfaces. I'll get one of them for both studio and live job.

Crucial points:
- sound clarity (converters)
- stable drivers (no crashes)
- lowest possible latency
- mic pre quality (for vocals and random object sampling)

during live i'll run a lot of audio (one giant set for the whole show) sending to 2-3 effect racks with a lot of chains.

system is Core Duo 2.13, 2Gig RAM, 5400RPM internal drive, WinXP, Texas Instruments Compliant FW port.

so having studied forums here and manufacturers websites I see each one has its pros and cons:

1) motu has 8 analog input, which is good for the studio - i happen to use quite a bit of ext instruments.
motu has received a lot of awards and stuff - but some people here find motu unsatisfying. a dilemma here!

2) rme gets most praises in these forums. is its sound really different from, say, motu? i could live with 6 inputs if the sound is unbeatable

3) tc konnekt claim to have good DSP. how good is that, anyone? my current pack is IK Multimedia CSR for reverbs, FabFilter Timeless for delays, FF Simplon and Volcano for filters, Wave Arts FinalPlug for limiting, compressors live built-in.
can that DSP beat that?

Please could you comment. I'll sure appreciate your feedback from the hands-on use. Comparisons (if any) will also add a nice touch. Thanks

nz

Post by nz » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:24 pm

I have the Konnekt 24D and I think it is great. The built in DSP really makes a difference and sets itself apart from the other interfaces. I have never had any problems with the unit and it has been rock solid for me. I also think the preamps sound fantastic. In fact, I was surprised how good clear and articulate they sounded when I first used the unit.

The majority of work I do with the unit is with Ableton Live and it has been a very smooth and trouble free existance.

Hope that helps.
MacBook Pro/Mac Mini
Ableton Live 10

Pitch Black

Re: Motu Ultralite, RME Fireface 400, TC Konnekt Live

Post by Pitch Black » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:40 pm

4.33 wrote:Crucial points:
- sound clarity (converters)
- stable drivers (no crashes)
- lowest possible latency
- mic pre quality (for vocals and random object sampling)
The ff400 really scores big on all those points.

Incidentally, th Fireface has 8 analog ins, not 6. 2 Mic/line, 2 Line/inst plus 4 Line ins.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

musick

Post by musick » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:58 pm

If you can afford it get the RME, it's not only about sound quality but also about driver support!

Post by 4.33 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:21 pm

thank you all for your feedback

****The built in DSP really makes a difference and sets itself apart from the other interfaces.****

****The ff400 really scores big on all those points.****

ok, here's the dilemma:
on one hand, RME converters are hyped be the best.
on the other, hardware DSP processing still beats software (eq, comp).
and i will not be getting an outboard processor in the visible future.

so is there any point in having such card as FF400 if the signal is going to be "spoiled" a bit by the software plugs anyway?
in my case, wouldn't it be better to go for a DSP card instead?

****the RME, it's not only about sound quality but also about driver support!****

driver support? do you mean they update them frequently? why?

musick

Post by musick » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:45 pm

****the RME, it's not only about sound quality but also about driver support!****

driver support? do you mean they update them frequently? why?
I mean that RME not only sounds good but also has very solid drivers.

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:31 pm

As a previous owner of a Motu 828 and a current owner of a Konnekt24D and Fireface800 here are my thoughts.

One, you have to understand that the Konnekt24D's onboard DSP is only able to run 1 Reverb (Fabrik R) and Compressor (Fabrik C) at the time. So nothing really mind blowing. I do like the sound of the Konnekt. I use it with a 1.86GHz core 2 duo laptop, and trying to run it at 128 samples and higher CPU does give me pops and clicks. Everything above 128 is rock solid though.

I used to have a 828 for my studio and liked it. I replaced it with the Fireface 800 and in my opinion there just isn't anything better. The only complaint I have about the Fireface is that it doesn't have a main volume control knob. Other than that I love it.

Bottomline is that both, the Konnekt24D as well as the Fireface are excellent audio interfaces. You get a lot of bang for the buck on the Konnekt. The drivers are good, but imho not as good as RME's. Also, both interfaces have great pres, but I think here too I would prefer the Fireface.

My 2 cents...

Ken

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:38 pm

4.33 wrote:driver support? do you mean they update them frequently? why?
Quite often Apple and Microsoft upgrade their Operating Systems and sometimes outboard drivers needs to match this to keep up the good performance
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

Post by 4.33 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:50 pm

thank you ken! extremely useful to know! the bastards do not say that on their website! so in a live situation you've only got a master limiter and a touch of reverb on a return track. in the sudio you'll have to resample everything..

please more opinions on ultralite. is it stable enough under xp?

Post by 4.33 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:53 pm

Per Boysen, I'm on windows, an OS update here can be done only 2 years after its release :D

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:04 pm

4.33 wrote:Per Boysen, I'm on windows, an OS update here can be done only 2 years after its release :D
Oh... I didn't know that. I use Windows a lot, but only for music, and the last time I upgraded XP was three years ago when I bought my recent laptop :P

BTW - I also use Mac a lot and have an RME FF400 that I swap between the two lappies. I'm very happy with the RME and can recommend it for both systems (have also used RME Multiface, Digidesign stuff, Echo AudioFire2)
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

Post by 4.33 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:21 pm

ken, do front panel inputs on the konnekt 24d steal from the rear inputs?
so is there 6 individual ins or only 4?

edit: found that myself. only 4 individuals alanogue inputs :(

Post by 4.33 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:53 pm

ken, and can you actually use the Konnekt's DSP effects AFTER the mixer (on the master/return tracks)? or only as the inserts BEFORE it goes to the application?

Post by 4.33 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:13 pm

anyone any idea how else does konnekt live differ from konnect 24d except for the price?

Konnekt Live is based on the same hardware as Konnekt24D. http://www.tcelectronic.com/Default.asp?Id=10340

$400 more for what then? :?

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:19 pm

4.33 wrote:ken, and can you actually use the Konnekt's DSP effects AFTER the mixer (on the master/return tracks)? or only as the inserts BEFORE it goes to the application?
Yes, now you can. In the beginning you had to route things back to the mixer portion of Konnekt, which was kinda useless. Now they are "real" standard plugins, including the Assimilator Konnekt version.

I think the Konnekt Live is more, because it's more sturdy, offers a filter plugin and just looks cooler. :)

Don't get me wrong the Konnekt is a great bang for the buck, and I am TC fan, I own 3 Powercores. However, the Fireface is just really, really good!

Ken