[ot] glasgow / edinburgh.. any opinions?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
marky

Post by marky » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:49 pm

dmacintyre wrote:
marky wrote:
dmacintyre wrote:FFS they are 45 mins apart. It doesn't matter - live in one visit the other. Both are depressing for many reasons which is why I'm moving to the US next month.

D.
I moved from Glasgow to the US 6 and a half years ago and there's plenty reasons to be depressed here too, believe me. Fortunately, the weather isn't usually one of them (unless you're moving to a hurricane zone).
Maryland. Don't know where yet - I'm going over in a few weeks to check out the different areas.

D.
Maryland, good luck with that one! :) At least the birds will love you with your accent!
Awright Bawjaws, that smells lovely son, gies a wee taste!
--------------------------------
www.myspace.com/interposition

dmacintyre

Post by dmacintyre » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:57 pm

marky wrote:
dmacintyre wrote:
marky wrote: I moved from Glasgow to the US 6 and a half years ago and there's plenty reasons to be depressed here too, believe me. Fortunately, the weather isn't usually one of them (unless you're moving to a hurricane zone).
Maryland. Don't know where yet - I'm going over in a few weeks to check out the different areas.

D.
Maryland, good luck with that one! :) At least the birds will love you with your accent!

:lol:
I invented coffee

synthpopkid

Post by synthpopkid » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:40 am

Awww Glasgow's the best place I've ever lived.

Lovely, charismatic people, great music scene and real character.

Edinburgh is nice for a visit but seriously, if you like music there's a lot less going on there. More bands stop by Glasgow on tour and the Arches is a hive of activity for electronic music and culture.

Great place :D

marky

Post by marky » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:13 pm

mosca wrote:glasgow is full of whiney glasgwegians and therfore must be avoided at all costs.

the music scene is made up of all the same people going to all the same gigs and patting each other on the back - as an outsider you will not be welcomed into it. the club scene was great about 10 years ago but if of course there's still optimo where you can see haircuts done with butter knives, leg warmers and all manner of ironic t-shirts whilst listening to frankie's relax mixed into joy division with a UK grime acapella over the top - it's oh so exciting and cutting edge. i worked there for many years and couldn't wait to get away from the place.

my advice - don't go to either of them.
Every city is full to folk like that, you tell me which of the great cities for music doesn't have tons of groups of clicky um.. "hipsters".

So unless you want to live in the sticks you always need to put up with it..
Awright Bawjaws, that smells lovely son, gies a wee taste!
--------------------------------
www.myspace.com/interposition

the girl next door

Post by the girl next door » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:42 pm

If you want to get stabbed by some druggie then go to Glasgow

Hercules Robinson

Post by Hercules Robinson » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:02 pm

Glasgow, Edinburgh, Berlin, Timbuktoo... The Ableton forum looks the same from wherever you view it. :?

Strauzzie

Post by Strauzzie » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:51 pm

thanks for the feedback, everybody!

i laughed when I read your description, mosca. that's sort of how it is around here (in Cleveland).

now, off to pitch the idea to the wife!

the_antagonist

Post by the_antagonist » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:26 pm

marky wrote:
mosca wrote:glasgow is full of whiney glasgwegians and therfore must be avoided at all costs.

the music scene is made up of all the same people going to all the same gigs and patting each other on the back - as an outsider you will not be welcomed into it. the club scene was great about 10 years ago but if of course there's still optimo where you can see haircuts done with butter knives, leg warmers and all manner of ironic t-shirts whilst listening to frankie's relax mixed into joy division with a UK grime acapella over the top - it's oh so exciting and cutting edge. i worked there for many years and couldn't wait to get away from the place.

my advice - don't go to either of them.
Every city is full to folk like that, you tell me which of the great cities for music doesn't have tons of groups of clicky um.. "hipsters".

So unless you want to live in the sticks you always need to put up with it..

i will aloow the optimo comment.

optimo sucks the big one.

rewind

Post by rewind » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:37 pm

I lived in both places. You won't be sorry whichever you choose. Glasgow has the better music scene. Edinburgh has the festival, which means every digeridoo-laden motherfucker in the world descends on the place, and gigs get rather hard to find. In general, Edinburgh is more oriented towards tourists, Glasgow for the locals.

In choosing between the two you should ask: do I prefer to be wet or cold?

Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:23 pm

rewind wrote:I lived in both places. You won't be sorry whichever you choose. Glasgow has the better music scene. Edinburgh has the festival, which means every digeridoo-laden motherfucker in the world descends on the place, and gigs get rather hard to find. In general, Edinburgh is more oriented towards tourists, Glasgow for the locals.

In choosing between the two you should ask: do I prefer to be wet or cold?
I think both places have loads to offer. Glasgow is a bit more exciting and friendly, Edinburgh is very beautiful and nicely chilled out.

Edinburgh also features the excellent event Laptop Lounge, a must for any electronic musician or fan :D

stallos

Post by stallos » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:44 pm

Edinburgh is more chilled and prettier to look out but theres definitely way more happening in glasgow in terms of nightlife, shopping, buzz

I live in Edinburgh but grew up in Glasgow so I know both places well.

It relly depends what you are looking to get out of the place

Mosca's comments are pretty spot on really...
The weather is shite in both cities thats for sure - which is why there are so many talented artists around :)

Szwagier

Post by Szwagier » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:00 pm

Edinburgh man for 22 years. Left for Kraków 15 years ago.

Never looked back.
HP Omen | 12GB RAM | Windows 10 Home| Presonus Audiobox iOne USB | NI Kontrol A49| Behringer BCR 2000 | Korg nanoPAD2

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:28 pm

dmacintyre wrote:

D.

It is a pretty nice state, a fair variety of things. One thing to note is that unless you live near one of the cities or near one of the commuter rail stations, you have to have a car to get around.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.