Which of these hardware synths for analogue sound / bass

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:05 pm

To see the Evolvers potential for classic analogue sounds (including fat basses), download the Analogue soundbank from DSI homepage. That bank was made for the Mono Evolver Keyboard, but of course works fine on all other Evolvers as well.

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:45 pm

Big Fan of the OG NORD,

May I suggest the OG Novation BassStation, (I have 2 and would never let them go)....Drizzling with 100% trans-phatty analogue beefiness. I've blown two sets of monitors with filter sweeps. 8)
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

cosmosuave

Post by cosmosuave » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:10 pm

ChiDJ wrote:Big Fan of the OG NORD,

May I suggest the OG Novation BassStation, (I have 2 and would never let them go)....Drizzling with 100% trans-phatty analogue beefiness. I've blown two sets of monitors with filter sweeps. 8)
Far cheaper alternative than your other choices and it has the built in CV/Gate control for older analogue gear...
MD SPS-1 DARKENERGY JX-3P (PG200) Mbase01
http://soundcloud.com/cosmosuave
http://www.cosmosuave.com/

Silentmusic

Post by Silentmusic » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:25 pm

I have an SE-1 with the Scroggins synquence (on bank B) for extra wackiness and it complements my Virus KC really well.
Plus the guys at Studio Electronics are super friendly/crazy and have turned around a service on my SE-1 in just 1 day.
Although I'm mainly using it for scoring purposes.
G5 Dual 2.7 Ghz, OSX 10.4.11, 8 GB Ram,
Live 7,
Powerbook G4 1.67 Ghz, OSX 10.4.7, 7200rpm 2GB Ram

http://www.virb.com/kimcarroll
http://www.esession.com/kimcarroll GOT GUITAR ?

quadrant6

Post by quadrant6 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:29 pm

Cool, I'm going to check out these others, I like the sound of the microwave xt so will definitely look into the pulse.. never liked novation stuff that I've heard though.

quote]I have an SE-1 with the Scroggins synquence (on bank B) for extra wackiness and it complements my Virus KC really well.
Plus the guys at Studio Electronics are super friendly/crazy and have turned around a service on my SE-1 in just 1 day. [/quote]

Good to hear, is it the sort of hardware likely to need servicing every once so often? this could be a prob because I'm importing it - nobody sells studio electronics where I live.

bytheriver

Post by bytheriver » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:37 am

I downloaded the analogue evolver bank as suggested here, and I gotta say it can make some really impressive bass. Very smooth, very full and warm. 4

On a preset V preset with no extra FX it blows the Arturia minimoog away for sure.

the girl next door

Post by the girl next door » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:20 pm

bytheriver wrote:On a preset V preset with no extra FX it blows the Arturia minimoog away for sure.
Bolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllocks !!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:27 pm

I just picked up an Evovler desktop last week myself, amazing value for the money. It's like a little modular synth in a box with all the mod options. Capable of very deep, smootth basses, and the when you start adding the 4 step sequencers, watch out. Much different sound than a TI (which I used to have as well), and the lack of display or dedicated knobs is no biggy at all surprisingly. While it's easy as hell to dial up massively dirty patches, very good at the clean sounding stuff too if you stay away from the ouput hack and distortion.

Probably one of the best purchases I've made in a long time, highly recommended.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

quadrant6

Post by quadrant6 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:37 pm

Is that the mono or poly evolver desktop?

BTW any particular reason for selling your virus?

JJarvis

Post by JJarvis » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:17 pm

I'm actually looking for a good analogue bass as well. I thought about going with something more vintage like the juno 106. At least it's analogue and has midi and is not as expensive as a tb 303. Does anyone on here have experience witht the juno 106? I hear the midi on some of those older boards can be difficult to work with.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:02 pm

the girl next door wrote:
bytheriver wrote:On a preset V preset with no extra FX it blows the Arturia minimoog away for sure.
You just haven't heard those resonant filter sweeps....:)

minimal

Post by minimal » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:22 pm

my choice is

arp axxe
waldorf pulse
juno 60

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:49 pm

sh101

not to mention that there's a couple of sweet looking mods out for it.

novamod, a DIY mod
http://oldschoolsound2.free.fr/manuels/ ... ovaMod.pdf
you can get folks to do this for you, the sh101 community is pretty big.

and
analogue solutions
http://www.analoguesolutions.com/
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~concu ... -index.htm

basically turns your sh101 into a bit of a modular synth...
he's also up for doing the novamod too, last time I asked he hadnt done one but he was up for doing it. I'm thinking about installing both mods, there's some cross over between the functions of the analogue solutions/novamod ...and its alot of work, but analoguesolutions have a great repuation, and he's a pro.

sh101's are still selling for decent prices, the bass will knock you on your arse, I get the impression its relatively easy to maintain, there's a good community of knowledgeable sh101 users too, check the yahoo group. And basically its the fuckin shitbomb banana in every respect I dont think you can go wrong. And I've compared the sh101 to some premium modern synths....

I think with the synths you listed in your original post you have a relatively high budget, I think you can afford a sherman filter bank too. sh101 + analogue solutions mod + sherman filter bank = 8O ...an analogue sex machine in the style of a modular synth.

www.sherman.be

that's how I'd spend your money. Those synths you listed are great, no doubt, but I'd much prefer this solution....mono, modularity, no saving presets, knobs/switches/faders for absolutely every function...

here's a list of the functions added by both mods
> > NOVAMOD:
> > VCF FrequencyModulation
> > LFO Clock Input
> > PW Modulation Source Selection
> > Pulse width to near 0%
> > External Audio Input **
> > VCF CV Input **
> > LFO Rate Scalar
> > 1/4" CV/Gate In/Out Jacks **
> >
> > **indicates mods redundant in Analogue Solutions mod kit.
> >
> > the Analogue Solutions kit:
> > VCF, PWM, Portamento, Mod CV ins.
> > LFOx2, EG, SH CV outs.
> >
> > VCF, VCA audio ins.
> > VCOx3, Noise audio outs.
> >
> > NEW excellent filter CROSS MOD switch
spreader of butter

quadrant6

Post by quadrant6 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:27 pm

Back to my earlier query - to se-1x owners, what is your experience re: maintenance/servicing of this module? does it need periodic work to keep it in tip top shape

reply from Studio Electronics when I asked this Q:
Figure your SE-1X is pretty much a plunker that will need
light calibration in 5 years or so. It's a keeper––an almost exclusively trouble free one.

That sounds great if its really the case, because i'll be importing it and nobody in my country deals with studio electronics.

Komplex

Post by Komplex » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:46 pm

the girl next door wrote:

Agreed. The Evolver is an awesome unit, but it's no king of bass compared to some of the other units mentioned in this thread. Much better suited to leads and crazy noises/efx