Remove / disable pitch bend?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kernspin

Remove / disable pitch bend?

Post by kernspin » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:14 pm

Hi,

is it possible to remove / edit / disable pitch bend messages in midi clips?

Thanks in advance, Christian

Background:

Some time ago, my midi controller's pitch bend 'broke' (it was sending random pitch bend messages).
I used a plugin called nf_mungrack to filter pitch bend messages (together with a vst inside energyXT-VST).

Now I got a new midi controller and wanted to replace the energyXT-instances with the VSTs to save CPU.
But when I do this, the random pitch bend messages seem to be stored in the midi clips and everything sounds awkward again.

laird

Post by laird » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:30 pm

you can remove the data after it gets recorded... may not sound great as you play... http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58492
also:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60053
note user who diabled his pitch bend wheel due to similar problems

kernspin

Post by kernspin » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:00 pm

Thank you.

bibaswan.datta

Re: Remove / disable pitch bend?

Post by bibaswan.datta » Sun May 19, 2019 1:46 pm

Hi All.

I too have been facing 'pitch bend wheel' issues with my Novation Launchkey 49. I tried a number of things but here are 2 solutions that have worked best for me:

1. Most articles suggest that we record our data and remove any pitch bend envelopes in the clip view. Well, that didn't help as my track was still 'off-key'. We will additionally need to stop the arming on the track and then switch the existing instrument with something else and then switch it back again to our instrument of choice. That should work and the MIDI notes would play correctly! #YAY moment, finally!

2. Tweak the settings on your .vst plugin so that the pitch bend wheel does not have any associated upwards / downward range. On my piano vst, it was set to 2 semitones by default and I had to change it to zero. I'm sure that Kontakt players also have something similar in the settings window. Ableton stock instruments don't have this feature.

Hope this helps.

ridiculous guitar

Post by ridiculous guitar » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:52 am

I discovered a similar issue with my Novation Impulse 49 MIDI Controller. The keyboard was always flat by almost a half note. I tested this by inserting a MIDI channel in Ableton, added a Grand Piano Instrument followed by a Tuner Audio Effect, and played a middle A on the Impulse which was flat. Next, I removed the Impulse USB input from the computer, restarted Ableton, and using the same track played a middle A on the computer keyboard which was in tune.

Being both a software and hardware guy, I considered filtering the pitch bend from the Impulse using various schemes but decided that if I could fix the hardware I wouldn't need to consider different OS/DAW dependencies. So I removed the bottom cover from the Impulse and coated the pitch bend wheel with contact cleaner to no effect. I have no use for pitch bend anyway so instead I disconnected the pitch bend ribbon cable from the motherboard. Voila! Now the Impulse tuning is correct.

pottering

Post by pottering » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:12 pm

Another way is MIDI assigning the Pitchbend CC to some useless knob (like a macro in a empty MIDI Effects Rack).
♥♥♥

bibaswan.datta

Post by bibaswan.datta » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:49 pm

I have been facing this issue for a year and no solution on the internet worked. Moreover, the pitch bend is not something I need all of the time. I finally gave up today and wanted to buy another midi controller. However, before placing the order, I mustered up some courage and opened up this MIDI controller myself using a screwdriver in order to investigate the issue. I accidentally clipped one wire connected to the pitch bend (there are 3 wires soldered to a blue connector with 4 pins connected to the wheel. I clipped the wire on the side and not the other two in the middle.) To my surprise, the controller stopped sending MIDI signals to my DAW. Yay !!!

jakespracher

Post by jakespracher » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:10 pm

Sucks you have to do this per track but I've gotten around this using the max for live MPE Control midi effect and setting the pitch range from 62.5 to 62.5. Hoping M-Audio fixes my keyboard... This should really be a feature built into Ableton. Logic supports this globally https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/view ... hp?t=46647

pottering

Post by pottering » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:32 am

With MIDI Assign or Remote Scripts it works exactly like that linked post, MIDI used in remote control is not sent to the Tracks anymore, but recorded Clips will play it just fine.
♥♥♥

sidhunehemiah24

Post by sidhunehemiah24 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:22 pm

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... idi-filter
Try Install this max for live device in user folder then open it on midi instrument and you have to filter the pitch bend in this m4l device.

jakespracher

Post by jakespracher » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:20 pm

This was a DIY hardware solution that took me a few hours and cost $35. Saves the trouble of dealing with a software filter. Hopefully helpful to anyone else in this situation.

https://medium.com/p/b2dfdfd9ec80