Echo Indigo PCMCIA card users and laptop users please help

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
UknowWho

Echo Indigo PCMCIA card users and laptop users please help

Post by UknowWho » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:59 am

I need to know the following...
This is very important in my decision making here...
Tried out a Dell 5150 3.2ghz lappy / Hyperthreading + Speed Step an 1 gig ram.
The Echo cards are noiseless when running on batteries only but exhibit noise problems when running off an AC power outlet (with the laptop) of course :? .....
Do other laptop users have this issue.
If NOT then which laptop are using with your Echo Indigo series soundcard.
I need a lappy that will give me equally good prformance off mains or battery power with the Echo Indigo series.
The unit's blazing fast otherwise and works well.
I still wan't to use the Echo PCMCIA card though and really need a mains powered lappy for home studio work that is NOT going to bump up the noise floor when not running on battery power ..
Any help here greatly appreciated.
Thanx in advance ....

FAChiro1

Post by FAChiro1 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:13 am

The noise you hear is referred to as a ground loop problem and can occur on note books because of electrical grounding issues. The RME site has more info regarding this.

I run an HP Pavillion notebook with the Echo Indigo IO and had the same problem. I also had the same problem with a usb Tascan us122. After muh searching, I didcovered that there are several solutions to the problem.

1. Use a 3 to 2 prong converter (from Radio Shack). This does eliminate the noise, but now you lose the ground, so it can be potentially dangerous, ie. if you spill water on your gear...electric shock. But I've also read that it is no more dangerous that turning on one of your lights in the bedroom, which also have no rounding third prong.

2.Use a DI box when connecting your audio to your recorder/amp/speakers.

3. Use a ground loop isolater (another Radio Shack product) but I've heard that it is hit or miss.

Most of the posts I've read regarding this issue seem to conclude that the user just has to run off batteries.

Personally, I would like to know if Mac usuers have this issue too.

Rog

UknowWho

Post by UknowWho » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:28 am

Thanks for the prompt reply ...
Well I'd like to know if mac users have the same problem also.
If using a 3 too 2 prong adapter works I'm quite pleased.
1)I never keep liquids near the PC or gear anyway.
2)All circuits in the studio are run of seperate electrics with surge protectors and breaker circuits in the fuse box itself (not all my gear has a grounding pin).
So if the solution is that simple I'll give it a bash ....
Once again cheers.
Any other users PC or Mac feel free to add your thoughts....

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:30 am

i've got a centrino panasonic w2 lets note, whether I'm using battery power or the adapter there is no difference, no sound what so ever no matter how loud I turn up the volume.

dubslug

powerbook grounding - not a problem

Post by dubslug » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:55 pm

i'm running a powerbook with an indigo dj card, and with both the grounded plug or the ungrounded plug i've never experienced a noise problem.

a friend of mine has that dell and has the same issues, even with usb breakout devices... as soon as he lifts the ground, the problem goes away.. just buy a power adapter, and you'll be sorted.

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:56 pm

what exactly are the noise problems that the original poster was referring to? Do you mean a hum? or is it some sort of pops? I personally have experienced noise problems with my indigo io... for me it's a glitchy/popping very sporadic kind of noise, but I don't know of any work arounds or fixes (haven't looked into it really). If that's what you guys were talking about I'm all ears!

thanks,
scotty

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:47 pm

Clicks and pops are usually associated with audio latency/ soundcard issues.

RME also speaks of a sort of "digital noise) that may be hardware related.

The hum coming from the speakers is a ground loop problem.

It would appear that some notebook have better electrical shielding than others. Poor ones, like my HP Pavillion, suffer from this poor shielding that results in the ground loop noise.

drez

Post by drez » Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:21 pm

I have, and my buddy has, Dell 5150's and we both have the same problem. I use the 2prong Ground lifter and it works perfectly...hum eliminated. Maybe its dangerous, but I've used them for 20 years and I'm sure most of the musicians out there have used them on stage many times for various stuff, and I've never been blown up :D

lariamat

Post by lariamat » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:06 am

i'm using a sony vaio z1 centrino. no problems with my echo indigo dj.
my card works just great.

arar

Post by arar » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:58 am

Dj card works fine on my old toshiba satellite laptop..