Did your mother tell you to take things slow?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:11 am

mosca wrote:Image
lol - fuck you asshole :)
spreader of butter

robin

Post by robin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:46 am

wavejumper wrote: scanned those tunes in juno and all i'm hearing is the same old minimal trancey shit...that's not house mate. go listen to theo parrish and moodymann, larry heard and decent house music producers, honestly, you're pointing people to this trendy 'deep' stuff. what's the fucking use? point them to chicago, ron hardy, trax records and from there move to current undergorund producers who do it with soul. see newworldaquarium, juju and jordash, omar s...i mean what the hell, do your homework.
agreed.

there's also whole generation of house producers like ksoul, dj jus ed, patrice scott, keith worthy, ra.h...

wavejumper

Post by wavejumper » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:48 am

robin wrote:
wavejumper wrote: scanned those tunes in juno and all i'm hearing is the same old minimal trancey shit...that's not house mate. go listen to theo parrish and moodymann, larry heard and decent house music producers, honestly, you're pointing people to this trendy 'deep' stuff. what's the fucking use? point them to chicago, ron hardy, trax records and from there move to current undergorund producers who do it with soul. see newworldaquarium, juju and jordash, omar s...i mean what the hell, do your homework.
agreed.

there's also whole generation of house producers like ksoul, dj jus ed, patrice scott, keith worthy, ra.h...
we're on the same page...

Oscar F

Post by Oscar F » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:49 am

My Mother never told me to take things slow.
She did however make me a homosexual and if you're willing to pay for the wool and labour costs I'm sure she can knit you one too 8O .
Somewhere between a rock and a hard place is actually nowhere.

robin

Post by robin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:52 am

wavejumper wrote: we're on the same page...
i thought we might be... :)

wavejumper

Post by wavejumper » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:54 am

Oscar F wrote:My Mother never told me to take things slow.
She did however make me a homosexual and if you're willing to pay for the wool and labour costs I'm sure she can knit you one too 8O .
can't stop grinning

SPAWNmaster

Post by SPAWNmaster » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:23 pm

wavejumper wrote:
SPAWNmaster wrote:try this:

Marc Romboy, Stephan Bodzin- Callisto

Minilogue- Inca

Bienmesabe- Plumas De Mar. The aforementioned tracks are quite a step up in quality and diversity in my opinion, compared to downtempo loungey deep house and may give you some inspiration if thats the field you're interested in.

cheers,
andrew
scanned those tunes in juno and all i'm hearing is the same old minimal trancey shit...that's not house mate. go listen to theo parrish and moodymann, larry heard and decent house music producers, honestly, you're pointing people to this trendy 'deep' stuff. what's the fucking use? point them to chicago, ron hardy, trax records and from there move to current undergorund producers who do it with soul. see newworldaquarium, juju and jordash, omar s...i mean what the hell, do your homework.

get with the times bud, they're more techno than trance anyways, with a modern deep feel. music is evolving and if you cant let go of chicago house then I'm sorry.

you want to talk about producers with soul why dont you check out:

francois k, gui boratto, danny howells, funk d'void.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:47 pm

I think there are alot of people why try and make dance music because they think its often musically simple and it fits their keys playing skill or whatever and end up missing the point.

Forget it - just go with whatever works for you and what you enjoy doing. You could allways take something that you have done and later remix it yourself if you want to inject eneregy into it.

Until you get good at making you own rhythm parts from scratch, I would suggest building the music against rhythm loops that do something for you - Live is bloody useless for this as it has no groove templating capability, but the advantage is because you have to slide hit manually, you get to learn what make a nice groove form pulling apart sliced beats.

Dont use the template loop in the final track, instead just use it as a template to set the feel. Dont be afraid to not have everything perfectly aligned to the whatever groove you have on snares/HH/bass etc - that can really sap energy. Figure out what needs to be very tight and what can be loose - you find that out when you play something and record it - it either works great as is or sound like shit rhythmically against whats there - learn from that :)

You may find that consistently stuff you play sounds like shit against what you trying to do - thats telling you something - your natural groove fits something else (or your just in the wrong mood at the time) - find that soemthing else and persue it. That a huge advantage of actually playing drum whether on a real kit, or just playing out drums on an MPC/PadKontrol/keyboard - you quickly get to find out what you natural groove tendency is (if your a player rather than just a mixer/dj etc) rather than trying to force yourself into something that just isnt you.

I used to try and make trance - then realised that actually my natural groove when playing just doesnt suit it, but it does suit some flavours of house and breaks etc and rock, so now I try and blend all of that. Tie will tell if it works, but for now - it at least feel like Ive find my place as it were.
Nothing to see here - move along!

wavejumper

Post by wavejumper » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:09 pm

SPAWNmaster wrote: get with the times bud, they're more techno than trance anyways, with a modern deep feel. music is evolving and if you cant let go of chicago house then I'm sorry.

eh, frankly if all these new times have to offer is those 2nd rate club fodder sounds I'll stick to what I feel is the more soulful and adventurous producers...after all, house at the beginning was challeging and different, your soulful producers sound like the ones who haven't moved on. good luck.

SPAWNmaster

Post by SPAWNmaster » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:29 pm

wavejumper wrote:
SPAWNmaster wrote: get with the times bud, they're more techno than trance anyways, with a modern deep feel. music is evolving and if you cant let go of chicago house then I'm sorry.

eh, frankly if all these new times have to offer is those 2nd rate club fodder sounds I'll stick to what I feel is the more soulful and adventurous producers...after all, house at the beginning was challeging and different, your soulful producers sound like the ones who haven't moved on. good luck.
well i suppose we simply disagree. i'm of the exact same opinion about your own tastes but of course this is all opinion.

cheers

robin

Post by robin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:30 pm

SPAWNmaster wrote:music is evolving
Hasn't Kerri Chandler been knocking this sound out for 15 years now?

Not that I don't like some of what you're talking about and by crikey it's better than trance but it's a bit too polished for me
and if you cant let go of chicago house then I'm sorry.
...that's the bit where you lost me mate. Why let go?

wavejumper

Post by wavejumper » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:42 pm

SPAWNmaster wrote:well i suppose we simply disagree. i'm of the exact same opinion about your own tastes but of course this is all opinion.

cheers
as they say over here, we'll agree to disagree. peace.

SPAWNmaster

Post by SPAWNmaster » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:51 pm

robin wrote:

fair enough. i mean classics are great don't get me wrong but a lot of chicago style I've heard over the past 10 years, in my opinion are very recycled, cookie-cutter similiar to the state of trance. .02 ;)

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:01 pm

robin wrote:
SPAWNmaster wrote:
I think he means to expand your mind a bit and don't have such a narrow mind to reject everything that isn't chicago house. Don't be such a purist firmly anchored in a 5 year window of the past, and be open to other things that have happened or evolved since then.

So nobody who is making house right now is valid unless they were sweatin' on the scene during the "roots" of house music? :roll:
Last edited by icedsushi on Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:01 pm

Sorry I haven't been able to respond to all the responses on this topic but I have read them all.

I am fine with my sound I suppose, but I would just like to mix it up a bit. I DJ and dance to the type of music I would like to work on from time to time. All the recommendations and comparisons aside, I listen to this type of music probably more than anything else...although I am getting burnt out on it. My point is that this isn't from a lack of exposure.

I think part of it might be used to writing in a certain style, or my style, for such a long time. As I comparison I have a friend that has DJed for probably about 10 years but never wrote music before. He just got into writing music a couple months ago and already what he has written in that time is way more dancey then what I come up with. So I think part of it might be a combination of what you have been exposed to and spend your time listening to, and at what point you start writing music. When I started writing music there wasn't really any House, or maybe it was at the beginning of House. At the time electronic music was mostly Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream.