How do you find new music?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SPAWNmaster

Post by SPAWNmaster » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:39 pm

rather than sit around and have tv/friends/culture tell me what music to like, i actually go out and search directly from label shops both digitally and in record stores or make my own music. as a DJ/Producer if i talk to someone and they already know which track I'm talking about, its essentially obsolete.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:38 pm

musicmachine wrote:+1 for soma fm.Check out groove salad for a eclectic mix of good music :)
+1, I find most of my music by writing down songs and artists I hear on that station (and Space Station on soma). Usually trying to track down those songs leads me to the far corners of the net and invariably I run across a ton more music I like in the process.

marky

Post by marky » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:02 pm

Someone put me onto Boomkat.com recently, it's fantastic.
Awright Bawjaws, that smells lovely son, gies a wee taste!
--------------------------------
www.myspace.com/interposition

compositeone

Post by compositeone » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:51 pm

When I'm looking for drum and bass its a combination of listening to loads of DJ mixes downloaded from all over, plowing through the new releases on http://www.redeyerecords.co.uk & going to the record shop and talking to the guy who I have bought from for the last 4 years.

The latter is always the most satisfying chatting in the shop, thumbing through boxes of records, but I always find that the time:music-I-want ratio is always higher when buying online.

Any other style of music generally finds me in that I have alot of DJ mates who play all sorts of music from funk, jazz and soul to dub step, breaks and electronica.
http://www.myspace.com/compositeswerve

"So what kind of music do you make?"
"Both kinds...... drum and bass."

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:54 pm

Tarekith wrote:
musicmachine wrote:+1 for soma fm.Check out groove salad for a eclectic mix of good music :)
+1, I find most of my music by writing down songs and artists I hear on that station (and Space Station on soma). Usually trying to track down those songs leads me to the far corners of the net and invariably I run across a ton more music I like in the process.
I use radiolover on cliqhop (another soma) which records directly into my radiolover playlist in itunes. after a workday I have 8 hours of new random music I can quickly sort through. I end up deleting like 95% of it but the 5% is pretty interesting (ie David Last, John Tejada, Thomas Fehlmann, Burnt Friedmann, etc)

Then proceed as described by Tarekith. There is a world of excellent music out there that you never knew existed.

dabedoo

Post by dabedoo » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:01 pm

beatport is your friend :idea:

http://www.beatport.com/

robin

Post by robin » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:30 pm

dabedoo wrote:beatport is your friend :idea:

You really have to wade through the dross on there though (like most digital stores - junodigital isn't much different).

Let's face it all the best tunes still come out on vinyl.

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:53 am

i love bleep.com

leandrogonza

Post by leandrogonza » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:22 am

many ways

radio stations here in Argentina.

friends, hehehe

www.metacritic.com

that is a good one. I check the list of the greatest albums of 2004-2005-2006-2007

the critics are a balance of all major critics in the real world.

that is how i started listening to sufjan stevens 3 years ago.
I download music from everybody i don't know, listen to it, if i like it get much more of that artist, if i dont i check a new artist on the list.

see ya

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:46 am

my friend down the street - he's always on top of who the new hot producers are and what they're making

beatport charts

C89 / KEXP radio station

MTV Jams / Hits

BET

my cousin in Mississippi
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Dominik

Post by Dominik » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:56 am

MTV
bah this rubbish.

nate_D

Post by nate_D » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:37 am

theres tons of good stuff out there. myspace can be confusing, but theres hope out there. look through some of your friend's list at some of the bands. for instance the other day i found amanda blank, which lead to sweatheart, which lead to ratatat (which i knew about, didn't know they had a myspace page, just using it as an example), which lead to dan deacon, and so on and so forth.
tv on the radio is the best shit out there right now. i'd highly recommend checking those guys out if you haven't heard them yet.
then after you do find stuff that you like a lot, beatport or itune that shit :wink:
Macbook 2ghz c2d, 2gb ram, osx 10.5.5, live 8.0.8, fw-1884, ms20, x-session, 2xLP

dabedoo

Post by dabedoo » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:53 am

robin wrote:
dabedoo wrote:beatport is your friend :idea:

You really have to wade through the dross on there though (like most digital stores - junodigital isn't much different).

Let's face it all the best tunes still come out on vinyl.
here's another idea..... go clubbin and make tons of dj fiends like me, they'll give you their
sources on where to look on the net and you exchange good findings on
messenger like I do :idea:

But one thing is for sure, it asks alot of time to find hot unknown tracks :roll:
I mostly down like 50 or 60 new tracks each day and I hardly keep 5 of
them :idea:

I got like 5 places I go regulary (2 mp3-sites and 3 private forums)
and I never miss a good track :)

Greatz

robin

Post by robin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:59 am

dabedoo wrote:here's another idea..... go clubbin and make tons of dj fiends like me, they'll give you their
Better yet, all my mates are djs/work in record shops/work in record distributors.
But one thing is for sure, it asks alot of time to find hot unknown tracks :roll:

It's nice to pay for the music artists produce though no?

dabedoo

Post by dabedoo » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:13 am

robin wrote:
dabedoo wrote:here's another idea..... go clubbin and make tons of dj fiends like me, they'll give you their
Better yet, all my mates are djs/work in record shops/work in record distributors.

It's nice to pay for the music artists produce though no?
I buy some of them in order to have 320kbs, I'm human.......let the one that never downed an
mp3 throw the first stone :twisted: