energy for late night music writing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

Post by forge » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:27 pm

actually, the Uni I am going to is built on hills and there are some insane stairs of doom there with about a million steps - I have been thinking for a while I should take advantage of them but I always pike out and take the lift

seems like an oportunity missed

dustspec

Post by dustspec » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:49 pm

The only problem I still have is that the nature of my work involves staring at a laptop screen for 10 hours a day. Last thing I want to do when I'm home is stare at a screen again - any tips?
I know this sounds silly but I was told my our Occupational Health and Safety folks that looking away from the screen at something green is supposed to be good. Not sure why, but it is supposed to help your eyes rest.

Thought it might be interesting to add names of artists and what they do to stay alert and - dare I say it - healthy. I know LCD Soundsystem loves to run (which is why he did the 43min Nike track).

dustspec (I may be middle aged but I refuse to be middle of the road!)
MacBookPro 2.6GHz C2Duo
4 GB RAM, 200GB 7200 Hdd
Ableton 7.0.5
NI Komplete 5, Microtonic, Imposcar, RMX
Novation X-Station 25, Remote SL37
KRK Rokit 5 monitors
http://www.dustspec.com/
http://www.myspace.com/dustspecmusic/

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:49 pm

Substance - I was in the same boat (pun intended, I love wakeboarding) as you concerning looking at a computer all day at work. It might not be feasible, but I use XP at work, so switching to OSX for at home and making music was a nice way to mentally deal with that. It's still a computer screen, but you get a different vibe, don't feel like you're "at work". Otherwise I found that the runs rigth after work really helped me, in that my body got some blood moving through it again, my eyes and back unstressed, and overall I just felt better once sitting down at the computer again.

Forge - Motivation is the only thing keeping most people from getting started to be honest. Runnersworld.com has a whole section of their website dedicated to motivational articles, so I'd suggest starting there. THey also have a beginners section worth perusing too.

Otherwise it's just a case of needing to do it for at least two-three weeks. As mentioned, start slow and take walk breaks. Aim to run and walk 3 times a week for 20-30 minutes each time initially. Don't feel you need to run 30 minutes when just starting, that can be very hard to do. So run when you can, and walk when you get tired and sore. Even runnign 10 minutes and walking 20 will make a HUGE difference after 2-3 weeks. The first two weeks are hardest, you're sore, you're not used to it, and it cn be a bitch to get out there and do it. But I think the key is to get into a routine asap, once you get used to doing it, it's easier to keep doing it. For me the key is to not come home and then relax before I work out, its really hard then to work out. Come home and asap do your work out, treat it like part of your job, just one of those unpleasant things you need to do before your "free time".

After a few weeks I'd bet anything you start to see the 'fun' in it, and you WILL feel much much better.

#1 advice, listen to your body, it know more than your mind when it comes to running. If you're a little sore, go easy that day,if you're really sore, take a day off, if you're feeling great, run faster/further that day, etc.

#2 advice, get good running shoes. Initially, I think Asics GT2100 series are the best for beginners, they're the #1 selling running shoe for just that reason. Once you start putting more miles on, you'll know better what kind of shoe you need and can start experimenting there.

jesQuick

Post by jesQuick » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:52 pm

substance_g wrote:The only problem I still have is that the nature of my work involves staring at a laptop screen for 10 hours a day. Last thing I want to do when I'm home is stare at a screen again - any tips?
That's a classic for me as well...

Try grabbing your guitar, bas, whatever instead of the mouse. Start making your tunes with the instrument and then, further down the production line, go turn on Ableton.

It will evidently give you a different approach to ´come home, start computer, look at screen´-routine.

Usually works well for me...

Best

-j

forge

Post by forge » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:11 pm

this is a really cool thread and I really appreciate it

I have been a musician for years and i have this kind of warped image burned in my brain that musos are all alcoholic druggies who dont give a shit about things like this

I think you're all about to inspire me into action

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:21 pm

forge wrote:this is a really cool thread and I really appreciate it

I have been a musician for years and i have this kind of warped image burned in my brain that musos are all alcoholic druggies who dont give a shit about things like this

I think you're all about to inspire me into action
After not exercising for about 2 years I quit smoking and starting running about 4 months ago. It is hard as shit at first, but I just decided to make sure I get out 3-4 times per week and push myself. Even after 3+months I have a very hard time running for more than 10-15 minutes at a clip, but I run with my sister sometimes (she is seasoned) and she pushes me to go farther. You just need to do 2 things -
1. Make a decision, e.g. From now on I will go out every other day and attempt to run for a half hour.
2. Follow-up DO IT whether you feel like it or not.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:28 pm

My planned power nap turned into an all night coma, but wow what a lot of responses.

It sounds like it comes down to eating right and getting some exercise. And yeah sometimes it sounds like taking even more time away from your day by exercising is going to be hard for your already pressed time but it makes sense that after spending that time exercising you will have more energy and focus as opposed to not doing it and you have 3-4 hours of feeling like shit and getting nothing done.

I'd type more but the guys at my work decided to sit around my desk and talk loudly about home loans like I give a fuck and it's distracting. BLAH.

aisling

Post by aisling » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:45 pm

dustspec wrote:
The only problem I still have is that the nature of my work involves staring at a laptop screen for 10 hours a day. Last thing I want to do when I'm home is stare at a screen again - any tips?
I know this sounds silly but I was told my our Occupational Health and Safety folks that looking away from the screen at something green is supposed to be good. Not sure why, but it is supposed to help your eyes rest.

Thought it might be interesting to add names of artists and what they do to stay alert and - dare I say it - healthy. I know LCD Soundsystem loves to run (which is why he did the 43min Nike track).

dustspec (I may be middle aged but I refuse to be middle of the road!)
ROY G BIV

that is the color spectrum. Green is in the middle so it is the most nutral as far as how light is deflected.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:48 pm

I love making music, but making sure I'm healthy means I can do it for that much longer.

Also, I love beer and pizza, I hate eating healthy :) Running or biking lots and lots of miles is just my way of making sure I can eat what I want without getting fat. :lol:

I don't eat totally unhealthy, but if you stoke fire hot enough, you can burn anything :)

forge

Post by forge » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:54 pm

Tarekith wrote:I love making music, but making sure I'm healthy means I can do it for that much longer.

Also, I love beer and pizza, I hate eating healthy :) Running or biking lots and lots of miles is just my way of making sure I can eat what I want without getting fat. :lol:

I don't eat totally unhealthy, but if you stoke fire hot enough, you can burn anything :)
I dont know where Rocky is from, but I imagine it to be somewhere like Chicago or Detroit and you have painted a nice image like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-KDhVwD0UA

from now on tarekith, you are Rocky in my mind

CatfishRivers

Post by CatfishRivers » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:28 pm

If you're not scheduled to work the next day, and are not morally opposed, I have had results beyond my wildest dreams using low dose psychedelics to write music and stay up. The quality of my writing while using psychs has been repeatedly above and beyond my usual come home from work level of writing.

YMMV.

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:38 pm

small doses of psylopsybin work wonders for me too.
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:41 pm

small doses of psylopsybin work wonders for me too.
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

forge

Post by forge » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:42 pm

Rogue Scrunt wrote:small doses of psylopsybin work wonders for me too.
do you find you forget you already pressed send?

forge

Post by forge » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:43 pm

Rogue Scrunt wrote:small doses of psylopsybin work wonders for me too.
do you find you forget you already pressed send?