hands free looping with 1 pedal, infinite tracks - 2.0.0

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

hands free looping with 1 pedal, infinite tracks - 2.0.0

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:52 am

I finished my first max/msp project. take 1 stomp pedal and do Kid Beyond style looping and ANY number of tracks and scenes.

screenshot
http://www.4shared.com/file/22153208/98 ... creen.html

stomp - track starts recording for the length of the global quantize then the clip goes into play mode
stomp again - record and play on the next track, etc.
when you get to your last track another stomp advances the scene twice and you start all over again.

instructions are on the GUI.

download the FREE max/msp runtime here
http://www.cycling74.com/downloads/maxmsp (PC and OSX)

download the file

http://www.4shared.com/file/22212804/57 ... 1_0_5.html

open the .mxf file in the max/msp runtime.
stomp looper reads in through the 'ctlin' menu
it talks out of midi yoke (pc) or IAC (OSX)
setup midi yoke/IAC in Live as a REMOTE IN device
while you're setting up Live, disable your stomp pedal as a REMOTE device, or else Live will listen to both the pedal and the stomp looper output, confusing the MIDI learn proces.

I've been using it the last few nights, works great.

feedback welcome. :) updates will be posted as users find bugs and I can make it easier to use.
Last edited by Tone Deft on Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

bgc

Post by bgc » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:32 am

Whatcha using for the stomper?

Also, looks like a couple of .jpg's aren't showing up.

And nice job! I guess you got your head wrapped around it. Feel like posting some audio output to the board?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:35 am

weird about the jpgs, I'm new to this so anything's possible. I added a link to a screenshot that shows the missing jpgs.

I'm using a random generic guitar stomp pedal, used to go with a delay unit. I run that into my SL25 into the PC.

edit - the setup is based on this thread
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20174

In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

forge

Post by forge » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:57 am

awesome!

cant wait to check it out - I have been wanting to do EXACTLY this - to the letter!

KU

Post by KU » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:24 am

thanks for sharing

does this require also using Ableton Live in conjunction with your patch? or does the patch run and loop on its own and with its own GUI?
:?:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:29 am

it works with Live.

check the thread I quoted with the pic above. motherbrain laid it out.

if you click on a clip to get it recording then click just after it starts recording it'll record for the global quantize amount of time then go straight into play mode.

the patch sends out the same note twice, delayed on an amount of time based on the current bpm and quantise amount. it also midi learns the controller you're using.

it's CC in, notes out.

on PC use it with midi yoke, on OSX use it with IAC to run midi from the max to Live.

forge - me too!!! that's what made it a great way to get into max, I'm happy with the results. still want some GUI bling, but whatever.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

forge

Post by forge » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:43 am

Tone Deft wrote:
forge - me too!!! that's what made it a great way to get into max, I'm happy with the results. still want some GUI bling, but whatever.
I have been finding just voice into a mic looping into clips and mashed in Sampler has restored my faith in making music

like a whole new world has opened up

you have probably just helped me massively

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:54 am

thanx tone...cant wait to play with this one tomorrow
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

forge

Post by forge » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:30 am

yeah no JPGs here either - it says you had them on your desktop ("cant find C:\\documentsandsettings...blah\desktop

also - I take it I need MIDI yoke?

oh and:
Tone Deft wrote:if anyone wants to host, feel free.)
http://alexisforge.co.uk/StompLooper_1_0_3.mxf

and the screenshot:

http://alexisforge.co.uk/StompLooperScreen.jpg

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:37 am

thanks for this Tone Deft, im loving this.

I have a weird problem though. Im using the pedal on a Padkontrol to act as the stomper. I can set it up ok, but occasionally its like the Max patch has a mind of its own and starts transmitting messages by itself. ie while setting the midi triggers, if i leave the focus on an assignment for too long ie Track Launch, i can see the midi assignment rotating through the 5 notes. If i then look at the output monitor of the max patch its also rotating through the notes without me stomping. am i missing something obvious?

but when its working this is inspirational.

forge

Post by forge » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:49 am

okay - some questions

I dont know if it's to do with the pedal I'm using

I have one of those keyboard sustain pedals that has a jack lead I have to plug into the keyboard - when I try to set the midi learn in Live I just get 1/64 for each track - it doesnt say 1/C1 etc like yours

is there any way I can fix that? I dont know anything about Midi Yoke or Max

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:09 pm

adventurepants_ wrote:thanks for this Tone Deft, im loving this.

I have a weird problem though. Im using the pedal on a Padkontrol to act as the stomper. I can set it up ok, but occasionally its like the Max patch has a mind of its own and starts transmitting messages by itself. ie while setting the midi triggers, if i leave the focus on an assignment for too long ie Track Launch, i can see the midi assignment rotating through the 5 notes. If i then look at the output monitor of the max patch its also rotating through the notes without me stomping. am i missing something obvious?

there's a red light and a green light, only stomp when the green light is on.

the problem is in the quantize setting. the patch sends out a midi note, pauses then sends out the same midi note. the length of the pause is dependent on the quantize setting and the bpm setting. if you stomp before the previous track starts playing the two events overstep each other and it gets wonky.

the whole thing is based around the behavior in Live that when you click on a clip to start recording and click on it again once recording starts, the clip records for the length of the quantize setting and automatically goes into play mode. so, it's a matter of sending a midi note, pausing and sending the same note again.

so, during setup set the path quantize to a low amount just so it spits out notes faster, do the assignments in Live. then set the patch's quantize amount to the same in Live and you'll be fine as long as you wait for the previous clip to start playing before you stomp again.

I should adjust this by locking out inputs when the red light is on. I also realized that I can set the quantise and bpm in Live from the patch settings, so you always change them there, not in Live. Once Live 7 has OSC control I can do it the other way around, the patch reads Live, which is preferred.

hope that makes sense. I might not have time until next week to update this.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:13 pm

forge wrote:okay - some questions

I dont know if it's to do with the pedal I'm using

I have one of those keyboard sustain pedals that has a jack lead I have to plug into the keyboard - when I try to set the midi learn in Live I just get 1/64 for each track - it doesnt say 1/C1 etc like yours

is there any way I can fix that? I dont know anything about Midi Yoke or Max
makes sense.

turn off REMOTE for the pedal while setting up the patch.

are you setting the input at the ctlin box? are you seeing the monitor boxes in the patch moving?

midi yoke is a free install. once installed it just shows up in Live's preference as 8 ports that work just like any other midi port. that way I can send midi out of max, into midi yoke and into Live.

I'll get those .jpgs on the download, there might also be a way to include them when I build the final patch for release.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

forge

Post by forge » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:19 pm

Tone Deft wrote: are you seeing the monitor boxes in the patch moving?
no

forge

Post by forge » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:23 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
adventurepants_ wrote:thanks for this Tone Deft, im loving this.

there's a red light and a green light, only stomp when the green light is on.

the problem is in the quantize setting. the patch sends out a midi note, pauses then sends out the same midi note. the length of the pause is dependent on the quantize setting and the bpm setting. if you stomp before the previous track starts playing the two events overstep each other and it gets wonky.

the whole thing is based around the behavior in Live that when you click on a clip to start recording and click on it again once recording starts, the clip records for the length of the quantize setting and automatically goes into play mode. so, it's a matter of sending a midi note, pausing and sending the same note again.

so, during setup set the path quantize to a low amount just so it spits out notes faster, do the assignments in Live. then set the patch's quantize amount to the same in Live and you'll be fine as long as you wait for the previous clip to start playing before you stomp again.

I should adjust this by locking out inputs when the red light is on. I also realized that I can set the quantise and bpm in Live from the patch settings, so you always change them there, not in Live. Once Live 7 has OSC control I can do it the other way around, the patch reads Live, which is preferred.

hope that makes sense. I might not have time until next week to update this.
the annoying thing is in Live 2 Live used to do this intrinsically

you could click record and if the default trigger mode was set to "repeat" then live would record for the quantise amount then start playing

when they brought in Live 3 they broke it and never fixed it

I was really disappointed because I used it alot

but it has still not come back