hands free looping with 1 pedal, infinite tracks - 2.0.0

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

Post by forge » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:31 pm

mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:
forge wrote:
Tone Deft wrote: or the UC33 isn't sending the pedal control out, does the pedal work in Live? or do you have a midi monitor program like midi ox to check to midi activity?
pedal works in Live

I get 1/64 on all tracks when i press the pedal

Do you have the UC-33 Turned off in Lives MIDI Prefs? Seems like Live is Getting MIDI Directly from the UC and not Tones dope little app. Also, make sure that the UC-33 ( input ) is activated in Max Runtimes Prefs. You can find that in Max's File Menu.

Peace,
michael
yeah I did turn it off in the prefs

so to get this right Tone - the max patch should send out incrementing note values each time?

how does it work exactly

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:42 pm

this is what it outputs, suppose 3 tracks starting at C

C on
delay 20mS
C off - Live starts recording
delay 1.25*the quantize setting at the set bpm in mS
C on
delay 20mS
C off - Live gets a command to start playing after the quantize amount of time

do the same for C# and D. D# scrolls the scene down, because there's two notes sent, it skips down 2 scenes. I could change that but it'd be a little more tedious to set up, not worth it for users or me.

as for the control input, there's a command 'ctrlin', double right click, select the midi port and it spits out the CC#, the CC value and the midi channel. those values get sent to the input monitor, when the check box is checked they also go to another set of boxes, that's how the midi learn works.

after that the code compares what it hears to the latched values, if they match, it ticks a counter that scrolls through a list of notes that are sent out delayed just right as described up top.

today I added code to ignore inputs during the delays between notes, if it didn't the user can confuse the patch.

the patch not seeing your controller is weird, the path from ctrlin to the input monitor boxes is about as small bit of code I could give you to test the setup.

maybe you can try it with a different controller? one that sends cc#s? maybe your controller is sending notes rather than CCs but it doesn't sound like it.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

forge

Post by forge » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:07 pm

oh ok - so I am meant to change it in the max patch to C#1, D1 etc etc?

so I'm meant to be getting visual feedback from the max patch when i hit the note?

I just tried hitting a note on the midi keyboard and nothing happened

oh but wait you said NOT a note

maybe I'll try the FW410 MIDI port (although I seem to remember having trouble with that in the past)

forge

Post by forge » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:09 pm

forge wrote:yeah no JPGs here either - it says you had them on your desktop ("cant find C:\\documentsandsettings...blah\desktop

also - I take it I need MIDI yoke?

oh and:
Tone Deft wrote:if anyone wants to host, feel free.)
http://alexisforge.co.uk/StompLooper_1_0_4.mxf

and the screenshot:

http://alexisforge.co.uk/StompLooperScreen.jpg
updated for 1.0.4

forge

Post by forge » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:14 pm

:D :D :D :D :D

so it was a problem with the UC33

works with the FW410

schweeeeet

8) 8)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:32 pm

great news!! I appreciate you taking the time to 'kick the tires'.

checking the patch I noticed that the incoming midi channel box is wrong, it's the wrong type. the patch didn't discriminate by midi channel, and didn't show the correct incoming midi channel, it does now.

http://www.4shared.com/file/22212804/57 ... 1_0_5.html
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

forge

Post by forge » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:31 am

Last edited by forge on Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

forge

Post by forge » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:32 am

Tone Deft wrote:great news!! I appreciate you taking the time to 'kick the tires'.

checking the patch I noticed that the incoming midi channel box is wrong, it's the wrong type. the patch didn't discriminate by midi channel, and didn't show the correct incoming midi channel, it does now.

http://www.4shared.com/file/22212804/57 ... 1_0_5.html
it's been fun

I've turned into Imogen Heap man

giessel

Post by giessel » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:08 pm

any chance of distributing the source of the patch? some features, like the learn, i'd love to integrate into some of my patches...

looks great, can't wait to try it out!

cheers,

g

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:46 pm

Has anyone gotten this to work? I haven't gotten much feedback and am curious how it's working for people.

giessel wrote:any chance of distributing the source of the patch? some features, like the learn, i'd love to integrate into some of my patches...

looks great, can't wait to try it out!

cheers,

g
I refining it a bit now, making it so that quantize and bpm from the patch control Live, that way users only have to set it in one spot.

I'm also going to add a feature where loops can be of any length and all subsequent loops will be the same length as the first loop (this comes up as a request every 2 weeks in the tips n tricks forum). Basically set quantize to zero, count out the milliseconds of the first loop and use that to set the length of the following recorded loops.

the midi learn was a happy accident, REAL easy to do, I'll post it in a few hours when I get home. basically it's all about the GATE object. incoming midi goes to 2 numerical objects, one is always on as a midi monitor, the other (the learned parameter) is run through a GATE object toggled by CHECK BOX object. then the learned values are compared to the incoming values, when they match, I tickle a counter.

I'm still n00bing this out, once I refine it a bit and get some feedback that it's useful or not I'll let it loose, at this point it feels unfinished until I can do those other features. I did sign up for 4 2 hour max/msp sessions at a local store, can't wait to check those out.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

giessel

Post by giessel » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:38 pm

this is good stuff- i got it working last night and played around with it- fun times! tonight my friend is going to come over with his guitar and i suspect this could be very nice indeed.

the source would be v nice- esp so you could trigger this using any input, ie: a keyboard key. have you seen: http://createdigitalmusic.com/2007/08/0 ... -required/

let me know if you want help in adding features, could be fun to colab

i'll report back after tonight with comments from my friend and really using it, see if we can think of other features.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:29 pm

great! glad you got it working. one thing I've found while playing with it is that you can move recordings around at will. as good loops are captured I move them off to the side or arrange them in ways that make sense, also you can change which scene is being recorded into by just selecting another scene.

more tweaks to come, soon. how did you find the interface to work with?

as it is it works on notes in, CCs out for control. I did it that way so it wouldn't step on its own commands. would you like to see it differently?
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

giessel

Post by giessel » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:37 pm

i thought it was fine- but i found it a bit non-intuitive to use cc (although i realize thats what the pedal does). was trying to use a note. but basically it only triggers when that controller number hits a given value, right? other than that it was pretty straightforward. took me about 10 minutes to get it up and going well. wish i actually had a pedal, as i needed to use my fingers to hit a button on my novation or my trigger finger.

do you know of a way to isolate given keyboards inside of max? ie: if you plug in a second usb keyboard, can you listen only to events from that port? might have to use some usb parsing object, which i'm sure exists

do you have aim/gchat/irc? pm me if you want to talk about patching in real time

peace!

g

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:42 pm

to catch cc numbers you use the crtlin object, to catch notes you use the notein object. if you want to listen to multiple ports you use more than one ctrlin or notein or set them to 'all ins'. 'all ins' leads to midi feedback pretty easily. I can set it up so that the user chooses cc or note but I really want to keep the GUI simple rather than give the user the option to tweak everything, just find the best options and hard code it.

can't really aim today, I'm at work, the forum is distraction enough ;) I am open to opinions and ideas on the project, having used it from the beginning it's hard to know what's obvious and what's not.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

babkubwa

Post by babkubwa » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:02 pm

sounds very cool! would this work on a mac in the same way?