Firewire soundcard bus-powered from a C2D Macbook Pro?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
noborders

Firewire soundcard bus-powered from a C2D Macbook Pro?

Post by noborders » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:20 pm

So which firewire interface out there can actually be bus-powered from a Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro (without having to plug the power adaptor initially)?

So far, I've heard the following all fail to be truly bus powered from a C2D MBP:
firebox
konnect 8/24d
metric halo
saffire le (also reports of buzzing sound unless external power supply used)
earlier fireface 400
onyx satellite

and it's my understanding that core duo MBP don't have this problem except for the 17"s but all new core 2 duos have the overcurrent protection limit for the firewire bus.

robbmasters

Re: Firewire soundcard bus-powered from a C2D Macbook Pro?

Post by robbmasters » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:59 pm

noborders wrote:So which firewire interface out there can actually be bus-powered from a Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro (without having to plug the power adaptor initially)?
Definitely the MOTU Ultralite.

I think also the Echo Audiofire 2/4 - but you'll probably need the SDK driver to avoid channel swapping problems.
noborders wrote:and it's my understanding that core duo MBP don't have this problem except for the 17"s but all new core 2 duos have the overcurrent protection limit for the firewire bus.
I think that's right. All Core 2 Duo MBPs have this problem. All Santa Rosa MBPs have this problem. The 17" Core Duo MBP has this problem. Only the 15" Core Duo doesn't. It seems to be related to Firewire 800 support: MBPs that support Firewire 800 can't bus power most Firewire audio interfaces.
OS X, Live 9, Microbook II

Knob_Alchemist

Post by Knob_Alchemist » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:52 pm

Hi to all! This my first post, I was always a lurker... :D

I have bought a Saffire LE and make noise with a MacBook Pro CoreDuo 2 and disappear only when I plug the power supply....any suggestion???

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:07 pm

i use an audiofire 2 while playing out..

edit: on a new C2D MBP Santa Rosa. I've never plugged in the powerpack for it and have had zero issues.