DMXIS lighting control software - beta testing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dbaudioware

DMXIS lighting control software - beta testing

Post by dbaudioware » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:44 am

Hi all,

db audioware is currently developing DMXIS, a new lighting control package for DJs & live performers.

DMXIS runs inside Live as a VST plug-in, and controls a DMX lighting rig through a USB to DMX adapter - there's no need for an external software package or lighting console. Running inside Live, the lighting cues & effects stay perfectly synced to audio at all times.

We have successfully tested a prototype at a few local gigs. and we now want to enlist some beta testers to help us fine tune DMXIS for the first public release.

If you are interested in helping out, please email me directly at dave@db-audioware.com.

Thanks,
Dave Brown
db audioware limited
Glasgow, UK.

gafferuk

Post by gafferuk » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:00 pm

Im releasing one too!! I showed off mine last night in Bristol.

Looks like I might have competition.

Best of luck :lol:

PS I hope you not using Velleman DMX interface because it's not good.
It only uses HID(Human interface Driver) to connect to usb, as such the latency for 512 channels is about 2 seconds. So you can't move all your lights at same time(Try sending 512 commands). OK just for a few lights though, just not pro.

Most DMX interfaces on the market are made this way so we decided to design our own DMX interface using USB2.
Last edited by gafferuk on Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gafferuk

Post by gafferuk » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:12 pm

It's a bit sad youve only had 25 views in this forum in about 3 hours.
Lighting inside ableton works well! I have ladies dancing past my home.

Mesmer

Post by Mesmer » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:42 pm

what about that pocket PC thing?
-h
http://www.mesmero.net
---
---
Hidden Driveways wrote:This doesn't answer your question at all, but I said it anyway simply for the joy of making a post.

dbaudioware

Post by dbaudioware » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:05 pm

Looks like I might have competition. Best of luck
And the same to you :D
I hope you not using Velleman DMX interface because it's not good.
It only uses HID(Human interface Driver) to connect to usb, as such the latency for 512 channels is about 2 seconds. So you can't move all your lights at same time(Try sending 512 commands). OK just for a few lights though, just not pro.

Most DMX interfaces on the market are made this way so we decided to design our own DMX interface using USB2.
I can't speak for the Velleman kit, but we've had no such problems with other interfaces. DMX only produces about 22k/sec data at full tilt - standard USB is easily capable of handling it, assuming the driver is well written.
I know what you mean. Some nights, my neighbours must think the aliens have landed :)

Dave.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:20 am

That looks like a really useful tool. I've been doing audio, video, and lighting in Live for two years now. Got 29 DMX fixtures running perfectly. It's especially powerful when you get Follow Actions, virtual MIDI buses, dummy clips, and MIDI effects working together with audio, lighting, and video, and using Live audio to auto-launch lighting and video clips and scenes.

Lighting and video are really powerful tools in enhancing performance, especially when you get all three choreographed and synched. It's the old synergistic effect, and AFAIK Live is the only program that lets you perform all three simultaneously. It definitely gives you the edge over audio-only live performance.

gafferuk

Post by gafferuk » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:13 am

Mesmer wrote:what about that pocket PC thing?
-h
I got a bit bored with it, after all all it's ever going too be is a remote control. I might build a small version for my dmx interface.

dbaudioware

Post by dbaudioware » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:23 am

Hi guys,

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, we'll get back to you with more details of the DMXIS beta testing program soon.

I forgot to mention an important fact - unlike most lighting software, DMXIS supports both Windows and OS X Universal. We need beta testers on both platforms, so if you're a Mac user who wants to create some really cool DMX light shows using Live, get in touch!

One other thing - you'll need access to some DMX lighting equipment to help out with the testing. Although props to the guy who wanted me to buy him an intelligent lighting rig as part of the betatest deal :lol:

Dave
db audioware

gafferuk

Post by gafferuk » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:34 am

dbaudioware wrote:
Looks like I might have competition. Best of luck
And the same to you :D
I hope you not using Velleman DMX interface because it's not good.

I can't speak for the Velleman kit, but we've had no such problems with other interfaces. DMX only produces about 22k/sec data at full tilt - standard USB is easily capable of handling it, assuming the driver is well written.
I know what you mean. Some nights, my neighbours must think the aliens have landed :)

Dave.
Yea, velleman kit uses HID (when you first plug it in it installs a standard windows driver, doesnt require you too use a CD). HID which is meant for mouse and keyboard control, as such the data rate is only 4500k/sec.

You are mistaken though, DMX is 250k/sec. 512 channels * 8 bit's is about 4000k just to send 512 commands. Multiply that by a decent frame rate (say 40 frames a second).

Im wondering if you would like to agree on some sort of standard mapping for lighting.

Someting like this:
Channel 1 - Left X Movement
Channel 2 - Left Y Movement
Channel 3 - Left Red Level
Channel 4 - Left Green level
Channel 5 - Left Blue Level
Channel 6 - Right X Movement
Channel 7 - Right Y Movement
Channel 8 - Right Red Level
Channel 9 - Right Green level
Channel 10 - Right Blue Level
Channel 11 - Center Strobe Speed
Channel 12 - Center Strobe Level
Channel 13 - Smoke Machine Level

I know all lighting hardware is different, but I do like the idea of a standard mapping. So DJ's can walk on stage and just plug in and play.

dbaudioware

Post by dbaudioware » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:52 am

gafferuk wrote:You are mistaken though, DMX is 250k/sec. 512 channels * 8 bit's is about 4000k just to send 512 commands. Multiply that by a decent frame rate (say 40 frames a second).
I was talking in kbytes/sec, you're talking kbit/sec. This is getting way off topic, but just to reassure you that I know the numbers:

- A full DMX frame = 512 bytes = 4kbit.
- At 40 frames/second, 4kbit*40 = 160kbit/sec.
- USB 1.1 supports a minimum 1.5Mbit/sec = 1500kbit/sec
- Therefore DMX requires 160/1500 = 11% of USB 1.1's minimum bandwidth rate.

It would appear the Velleman driver has some serious issues, but I assure you that most USB-DMX interfaces do NOT suffer from this problem. The manufacturers would have a helluva tough time selling them if they did.

If you want to discuss this more may I suggest PMs, as I suspect our dear readers are getting bored with all the numbers.

Bottom line - DMXIS runs fine with commercially available USB-DMX interfaces, at a full 40Hz frame rate with all 512 DMX channels active, alongside a busy Live set. It's not vapourware, we are running it for real in gigs and it works great.

Oh, and as I mentioned in the noise above, we're looking for betatesters ;)

Regards,
Dave.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:02 pm

Signed up. Haven't heard anything yet.
Wonna test this on my mac with some RGB's and scanners.

Are you guys doing anything with LED's?

dbaudioware

Post by dbaudioware » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:57 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Signed up. Haven't heard anything yet.
Sorry, I don't see an email or PM from you. Please resend, thanks.
That's a very broad question :). What specifically are you thinking of?

Regards,
Dave
db audioware

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:32 pm

dbaudioware wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:Signed up. Haven't heard anything yet.
Sorry, I don't see an email or PM from you. Please resend, thanks.
That's a very broad question :). What specifically are you thinking of?

Regards,
Dave
db audioware
Actually you already replied ;)

I guess i'll just have to check it out to get an idea what its capable off and ask questions later.
I'm using enttec DMX USB Pro as DMX interface.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:38 pm

http://www.cinetix.de/interface/english/midmxbox.htm

MIDI>DMX, 512 DMX channels, using CCs (128 x 4 MIDI channels) directly in Live. No VST/etc required. Once you've made a library of CCs, it's easy to create drag 'n drop lighting control straight from Live's browser.

Using Live CCs gives you access to Follow Actions, virtual MIDI buses, dummy clips, MIDI effects, and always keeps everything synched. Even fade ins/out, pans/tilts/etc will stay synched. A four-beat laser tunnel sweep is always four beats long, irrespective of Live's tempo. It's the advantage of lighting control being tempo- instead of time-based.

And using the same MIDI control to edit an audio parameter can also control the lighting, so the filter sweep knob can not only do the filter sweep, but sweep the hue/brightness/etc of LED PARs at the same time. And if you're doing video, it can sweep the video hue/brightness/etc, too.

Live auto CC generation can automatically control lighting & video, too, so everything stays synched even with unwarped tracks.

Using a step sequencer with CCs is great for lighting and video programming and performance, too.

dbaudioware

Post by dbaudioware » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:02 pm

MIDI-DMX boxes are great if you like getting your hands dirty with MIDI controllers. But they only provide low level control over the lights - you need to patch your DMX equipment manually, and build your own library of CC curves & special effects from scratch. It can be difficult if not impossible to scale up, when you want to add or change your rig. Try swapping 4 old scanners for 8 new ones with different DMX channel maps, and it all becomes a little tricky to manage.

I understand that you have a lot of experience with MIDI-DMX technology, and have achieved great results. But it can be quite intimidating for someone who doesn't want to get too deep into the lighting technology.

That's why I figured there is room for a product like DMXIS. A simple to use VST lighting controller which is quick to patch up, and has a library of special effects which will automatically run on any DMX rig.

Dave
db audioware