Users of the Mackie Onyx 400f?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
quadrant6

Users of the Mackie Onyx 400f?

Post by quadrant6 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:07 pm

I'm not able to try one out first but after reading some very positive reviews, I'm strongly considering ordering one asap (instead of a motu828 or konnekt24d).

I'm aware there have been some issues but I think most have been sorted with mackie updates?

Very keen to hear from anyone using one with an intel mac? latency? any niggles, glitches etc?

Geraldo

Post by Geraldo » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:32 am

Works great for me. I have not had the problems others have reported on the Mackie site regarding the drivers. Works great with OSX and Vista for me. Most important it sounds beautiful. The Onyx preamps are very good quality. The dsp mixer software is very logical in its layout. I've been very happy.

quadrant6

Post by quadrant6 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:55 pm

Awesome, thanks for the reply. What is latency like when using with ableton or soft synths etc?

Geraldo

Post by Geraldo » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:34 am

About the same as other interfaces I've used. I had a motu 828 before and they both start breaking up around 98 samples. On large projects you can use direct monitoring if you start getting hiccups while monitoring through the software. I record mainly guitar & bass with drums so your mileage may vary if you record a lot of virtual instruments. Again, I have had no problems and the pres are superior to other interfaces I have used.
I will say that I prefer it to my Digi 002 Rack which has fixed choices for buffer size.