Dual Core vs. Quad Core

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mesmer

Post by Mesmer » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:40 pm

I'll be playing your devil's advocate today:
donnydonny wrote:As unnecessary as I think having a quad-core machine is, by looking at the price difference... I don't understand why anyone WOULDN'T take the quad. You can get the 2.4ghz E6600 (c2d) for $225 US or the 2.4ghz Q6600 (c2q) for $60 more. Tough choice. IMO, it'd be stupid to "be on a tight budget" for the cpu.
The thing that's been holding me, and several others is this:
Apparently, on the Intel Camp, doubling up on core count, essentialy halves the memmory bandwidth available to each one. This means that each core in a Quad Core can address half the memmory per cycle, than a Double Core. They try to make up for this, by adding more cache's MB and what not, but it get's mad expensive... it gets Quad2Extreme expensive. Yes, this is the big fuss about the new AMD's Barcelona's... Their Hyper-Transport CPU/Memmory strategy is generally understood as being better ... if only they finally get it mature (up to DDR3 spec) and scaled (up to Quad opterons, in dual motherboard means 8 ... well, I think 6 because one of the Memm. controllers need to talk with the other CPU.. Someone CII'mW)

This line of reasoning is very valid for me, in the desktop realm. For Laptops I am all sold towards the core2duo camp as far as value for the money. Couln't really back that up scientifically. I ad mit it. Still that's were my money will go.
SubQ wrote:When we'll see quadcore on notebooks?
When humans develop some sort of fiberglass-thermal-foreskin for the skin directly above their femur. That and, big easily recharcable non-toxic-waste non-fire-accelerant not-needing-recall non-exploding-fumes-fireball type battery that can last, more than, oh 20minutes or so from charge to charge.

-h
http://www.mesmero.net
---
---
Hidden Driveways wrote:This doesn't answer your question at all, but I said it anyway simply for the joy of making a post.

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:26 pm

Landser wrote: And, what is very important for me, absolutely all stable in the actual project (Battery, VStation, 6x Kontakt, 2x Zeta+ (2x oversampling), Sampler, 24x EQs {Waves SSL, URS}, 9x dynamics {SSL, L2, TransX, Marquis, Elephant2, Sonalksis 315}, 6x reverb {Princeton, ArtsAcoustic}, 2x MultiTap2, 3x Waves S1, 4x MS-Matrix, RBass, PSP MixTreble, BBE), PAZ.
A dream.
8O 8O
Life is Good

CWoodOne

Post by CWoodOne » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:54 pm

Landser wrote:I decided for a Gigabyte with the new P35 Intel-chipset (DS3) (after the initial nightmares with the non-Intel VIA KT133 chipset i decided to go back to Intel, still being famous for it's stability). It is the cheapest of Gigabyte's P35 mainboards, uses extra durable components, has 3 PCI slots (and even TOSLINK and SPDIF outputs).
It has 6 SATA connectors, is RAID capable and offers one IDE-channel for two IDE components (master & slave).
I use the staudio DSP2000 PCI-audiocard on WinXP without any problems.
No hw-configuration problems.
And, what is very important for me, absolutely all stable in the actual project (Battery, VStation, 6x Kontakt, 2x Zeta+ (2x oversampling), Sampler, 24x EQs {Waves SSL, URS}, 9x dynamics {SSL, L2, TransX, Marquis, Elephant2, Sonalksis 315}, 6x reverb {Princeton, ArtsAcoustic}, 2x MultiTap2, 3x Waves S1, 4x MS-Matrix, RBass, PSP MixTreble, BBE), PAZ.
A dream.
Just bought the same board, coming Monday!

redpunk

Post by redpunk » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:55 pm

but the power consumption and paybill after 1 year intensive use of a QC = ? if only used for audio, ok, but most people play games etc..surf the net with a quadcore not uttilized at all anymore...suking power for nothing, hmm...they need to do someting about this problem of sucking power for nothing thingy...

dB Mania

Post by dB Mania » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:22 am

A Quad-Core Q6600 is good but the FSB is 1066.MHz compared to the Core.2.Duo E6750 with a FSB of 1333.MHz.

A Core.2.Duo E6750 with a FSB of 1333.MHz for just $200.(USD) a saving of almost $90.(USD) would be more than enough to record well over 32 audio tracks plus more than enough midi tracks fully loaded with all the best plugins of course, and still have plenty of CPU to watch DVD's and play games whilst Live.6 fills the room with monstrous layers of pure audio ecstasy!!

Pair that with a decent Intel Motherboard, with FSB: 1333.HMz, and high speed (800.MHz) 8.Gig RAM. Oh YEAH!! Image

-

CWoodOne

Post by CWoodOne » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:01 am

For those building around Q6600's, are you going Vista or XP?

aburgener

Post by aburgener » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:51 pm

Vista... i will only dual-boot xp on there if for some reason i absolutely have to.

Landser

Post by Landser » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:11 pm

CWoodOne wrote:For those building around Q6600's, are you going Vista or XP?
Strictly no Vista here. IMO the EULA alone is absolutely unacceptable (besides the technical garbage it is).
I can only suggest to stay away from Vista as long as possible. It is not accepted by industry and universities and hopefully it will be a dead horse and M$ being forced to bring out a much better product.
And jumping on Vista withpout being forced to, means supporting this ripoff and totalcontrol-policy!
Most people not building their own systems also don't know, that the big computer sellers still offer the same systems with XP installed - but you have to insist on XP, otherwise they tell you the story about "not available".
There is absolutely no technical advantage Vista offers - except it eats ressources, is slow and forces users to buy new hardware.

aburgener

Post by aburgener » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:41 pm

*edit*

but it's so pretty...

yourmom

Post by yourmom » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:01 pm

nowtime wrote:
Landser wrote: And, what is very important for me, absolutely all stable in the actual project (Battery, VStation, 6x Kontakt, 2x Zeta+ (2x oversampling), Sampler, 24x EQs {Waves SSL, URS}, 9x dynamics {SSL, L2, TransX, Marquis, Elephant2, Sonalksis 315}, 6x reverb {Princeton, ArtsAcoustic}, 2x MultiTap2, 3x Waves S1, 4x MS-Matrix, RBass, PSP MixTreble, BBE), PAZ.
A dream.
8O 8O
8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

Shoma

Post by Shoma » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:10 pm

I wonder why the quads were released so soon after the dual cores....Maybe we will have next CPU with 8 cores in 1 year

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:32 pm

Shoma wrote:I wonder why the quads were released so soon after the dual cores....Maybe we will have next CPU with 8 cores in 1 year
waa waa wee wah!

glu

Post by glu » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:35 pm

are you all building or any of you going through an online store?
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

Landser

Post by Landser » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:01 pm

aburgener wrote:*edit*

but it's so pretty...
Sure. But do you optimize your music-computer, that the graphics of the OS eat it? Or do you want high efficiency (=more plugins), be able to use your old hard- and software? Do you really want a company collecting data from your computer without notifying you about it?
Ofcourse they catch people with the eye candy. Imagine that wouldn't be there. What technological aspects stay, that make it necessesary for you?

CWoodOne

Post by CWoodOne » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:23 am

glu wrote:are you all building or any of you going through an online store?
Building here.... but I have some decent stuff I can recyle. Still haven't decided Vista vs XP though