EMX-1 or ESX-1 w/ Live and MPC1000?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
noborders

EMX-1 or ESX-1 w/ Live and MPC1000?

Post by noborders » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:02 pm

I want to get one of the Korg Electribes to go with my MPC1000 and laptop running Ableton Live but not sure whether to get the EMX-1 or the ESX-1. The MPC or Live will most likely be the master sequencer. I want an Electribe to use as a supplementary fruity loops-style matrix step sequencer in sync with the MPC and as a sound module.

I was leaning towards the EMX-1 since it's more of a full blown synth and think it would be fun to have a hardware synth with actual physical knobs (i've only used soft synths with midi controllers so far but want more immediacy). I'm also looking over the ESX-1 since it seems pretty unique. But would the ESX-1 be redundant if I already have the sampling capabilties of both the MPC1000 and Ableton Live? Perhaps the ESX-1's own way of messing with samples would be complementary?

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:29 pm

get EMX, you have the sampler already Had them both, ESX was disappointing. MX is fun and great for live use. Use MPC as master and with the 3 you can go sync, de-sync as you need, very flexible kick ass live setup.

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:27 pm

+1 for the EMX1... :D

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:36 pm

for that kind of money....if you have a fast enough computer go out and get stylus rmx it's got 7.4GB of drums and sounds plus effects and only for $279US, plus you can easily lay down four on the floor grooves. I would keep the 1000 though just to shoot out some raw gritty samples. what's the specs on your laptop?
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

noborders

Post by noborders » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:44 am

v00d00ppl wrote:for that kind of money....if you have a fast enough computer go out and get stylus rmx it's got 7.4GB of drums and sounds plus effects and only for $279US, plus you can easily lay down four on the floor grooves. I would keep the 1000 though just to shoot out some raw gritty samples. what's the specs on your laptop?
It's a Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz 2gb ram. I also use it to do video.

I'm actually trying to move towards a live-performance oriented hardware setup with the MPC as the main sequencer and Live as a very powerful sampler/sound module/effects box. I prefer hands on control with dedicated knobs so it'd be nice to have a hardware synth. I know I could try to find the right combination of soft synth and midi controller as a solution but I'd rather get something that feels more like an instrument and doesn't force one to stare at a computer screen as much. I also like the idea of getting one machine for a particular purpose and knowing it really well. Something that I can just turn on and immediately start sketching ideas. That's why I'm looking at these electribes.

scientist

Post by scientist » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:34 am

there are pros and cons to both...but i'd say go with the emx. even though its all rom samples you can do so much with the effects section that the sounds don't get old easily. but since you're looking for a synth, you should be aware that the emx as a synth is pretty limited. if you want something that can do pads/leads/basses... go for a microkorg, ms2000, ion or something along those lines. the emx's strength is in sequenced synths...think arpeggios and 303s. btw, novamusik is selling reboxed emx's (and esx's) for $425...pretty good deal.

noborders

Post by noborders » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:01 am

scientist wrote:but since you're looking for a synth, you should be aware that the emx as a synth is pretty limited.
yeah, I realize the electribe's are somewhat limited but that can be a good thing.

I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with the emx. It'd be nice to have its step sequencer to complement the MPC and Korg seems to have thought a lot about the performance interface aspect like having a dedicated knob for each function. My main priority is hands-on immediacy/fun factor and live-performance oriented workflow. And I can always look to Live for other types of sounds I may want.

I'm still open to other options though. How about Yamaha AN200 or DX200? I'm guessing they have more synthesis options and are just as hands on.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:01 am

If you get chance to get AN200 do it. It is nasty, wicked sound, unique nothing tame about it. EMX interface is so good specially performance wise that once you hit its sonic limits you can expand it with some modules. ESX is weak, cheap and lame sounding and you cannot do anything about it,, it has some cheesy internal compression which kills any sample you put in.

illsub1

Post by illsub1 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:32 pm

EMX is essential for me. All the classic drum machine sounds. Flexible synth (5 parts). Innovative controller for sequencing. Drive on the filter plus real tubes. Sure everything is hard quantized but so what. Do your free stuff on another box or in live. Step program your stuff in live. Its great. I use it in conjunction with a nord lead to program it and sequence both the EMX and the nord together. LOVE IT. And for 425 bucks its a steal.