OT: Vista Home/Premium RAM requirements

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
compositeone

OT: Vista Home/Premium RAM requirements

Post by compositeone » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:42 pm

I see on the microsoft site that for vista home you need 512MB of RAM but for premium you need 1GB. I have this feeling that the Home version only needing 512MB is bullshit and that really you would need 1 GB, as its the same OS really.

Agree ? Disagree? Am I talking shit?

(Forgive my ignorance I know almost nothing about vista, and I thought I would check before recommending a laptop or not to my girl friend's mum..... )
http://www.myspace.com/compositeswerve

"So what kind of music do you make?"
"Both kinds...... drum and bass."

aburgener

Post by aburgener » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:49 pm

Agree - you're not talking shit.

There's no way the Aero visual effects are going to run worth a shit with 512, especially if that memory is being shared for graphics.

They might assume that if you have 512 you can get by with using the Vista Basic theme, and that's probably true - but I'd go with 1gb for sure.

inmazevo

Post by inmazevo » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:49 pm

I've been using Vista Ultimate and Vista Home Premium as "side-DAW" machines since they came out in final form.

NO version of Vista will run happily with less than 1GB memory. Even Basic, with no Aero, isn't happy with that.

I'd suggest getting at least 2GB for it, to be honest, if you are planning on using it for audio.

Keep a few other things in mind though:
ASIO performance sucks on Vista. Some, me included, are having better luck with WDM, but don't expect it to perform as well as XP on an identical machine.
It won't.

Not saying it won't work. It works, but it's heavy.

Take care,
-zevo
infinite density, zero volume

compositeone

Post by compositeone » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:40 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Muchos help.

This machine will not be doing anything heavier than some email, surfing and if its really unlucky a bit of Word.

My girlfriends mum is not really into producing the latest trance dance floor stompers. :lol:
http://www.myspace.com/compositeswerve

"So what kind of music do you make?"
"Both kinds...... drum and bass."