New Plugin For Ableton! Lighting , in development

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ava

Post by ava » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:38 pm

Thanks for the interest from the 17 people that downloaded my movie.
Now you can see how it works anything just about is possible with little effort.

Im currently moving over to vista and the task of transfering the code. I havent used lighting for about a month now and am quite impressed with the results of my project.

Im thinking about making my own LED lighting hardware. With the small posibility of marketing them.
Small stage LED par lamps on the market cost £55, a bar of 8 would cost £440, so my full Light-Track setup of 8 bars would cost £3520 for a total of 64 LED lamps.

Each PAR lamp comes with it's own microprocessor and the lamps are more powerful than people would need in the average home as they contain about 50 small LED's when about 5 would be enough and you can get led's for under £1 and would also only need 1 microprocessor for each bar(8 lamps).

Im guessing could one day sell an 8 lamp bar for about £60(when selling many!!!) and a full Light-Track setup for about £480 rather than paying £3520, a saving of £3040!

Could be good money... All depense if Musicians are interested in producing Light-Track Music and selling it on the net...

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:37 pm

:roll:
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)

Stan_T

Post by Stan_T » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:44 pm

unsubscribe.

glenwood

preview of Ava's next post

Post by glenwood » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:42 pm

...i just realised that paying for windows adds uneccessary cost to the setup, so I am writing and compiling my own OS.

yeh linux could do some of this (and do it right now!) but not like my custom OS will once its finished. It will do stuff you can't even imagine. In fact it's already runing on my machine and I think it looks awesome. What? When can you see it... erm not yet, just a few months to go... Can you see a video...? erm...... no.

smutek

Post by smutek » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:55 pm

Stan_T wrote:unsubscribe.
come on man, have some faith! show some patience!

It should only be a few more months, right around the corner....

[unsubscribe]

Stan_T

Post by Stan_T » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:01 pm

smutek wrote:
Stan_T wrote:unsubscribe.
come on man, have some faith! show some patience!
It should only be a few more months, right around the corner....

[unsubscribe]
At this point I have more faith in Chinese Democracy being released.

Oh wait...

Stan_T

Post by Stan_T » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:41 pm

At this point I have more faith in America electing an African-American to the Presidency. Oh... wait...

timeline85

Post by timeline85 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:32 pm

Slightly related to this topic, I'm currently developing a midi controlled color mixing RGB LED globe that I call the colorsynth. I'm close (2-3 months) to doing an initial production run of 50 units, sell price will be around $150 each.

http://www.colorsynth.com <- these are my initial proof of concept prototypes that I made 6 months ago. The new version is a globe that's 8" in diameter and uses a single high power RGB LED, so it blends a lot better and is about 1000x more vibrant and bright.

Advantages/features:
- No need to bother with DMX, provides a simple solution for laptop musicians
- Keyboard is mapped to a palete of colors, velocity determines how "fast" the light changes to the new color
- Direct control of RGB values with MIDI CC commands, 2+ million possible colors
- RGB oscillators controlled by CC commands
- Hardware strobe controlled by MOD wheel, scallable from millions of strobes per second to very slow on/off.
- MIDI CH assignment via dip switch for each light for easy chaining
- The first colorsynth in a chain can power up to three more over unused MIDI pins 1 and 3.

I'll be posting more videos of the prototype on my page in the coming weeks. I'd be happy to entertain questions about my project.

Also to the original poster, I really like your concept, and was very impressed by your video. I wonder if you'd be interested in helping me develop a VST plugin front end for my colorsynth? Something simple that would transmit MIDI CC and note messages to the channel which would be routed to a MIDI out?

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:29 pm

Nice stuff...any progress with the plugin?

n0nce

Post by n0nce » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:00 am

bump

mu0p

Re: New Plugin For Ableton! Lighting , in development

Post by mu0p » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:35 am

i lurked this thread awhile back

its a shame to see it went no where.

Im trying my hardest to look for the best midi-dmx solution, in simplest form, all im looking for is to trigger midi clips that send out dmx data to various lights, so that things are more to the "beat"

ava

Post by ava » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:29 pm

Hello again people, have not been on the net for a while so have not looked at this thread.

I won't be releasing this lighting plugin system for reasons below, but am in the process of building a new system on linux. I don't like Vi$ta, won't be able to afford Micro$ofts multi-touch system untill it comes to about £500 - £1000 which won't be any time soon... anyway, i like Linux more, as a programmer it's good as it has a great source code library packaging system which windows has not.

Won't be releasing my plugins due to vst plugins not being able to respond to clip events(play & stop) making it impossible for my lighting sequancer to know when to change sequance, it did know when to change sequance when live's clip envelopes changed but not a clip event. Steinberg knows of ablton live and knows about it's session view design, but they don't add such features to there new version of VST(3), which is understandable due to VST being there design and there a company in it for profit, so no clip events in vst!... :(

I got some great ideas for a new linux music/lighting system, going to be 2 versions, one a software design called LMOS (Linux Music Operating System) running on standard linux desktops/laptops and an embedded version called ELMOS (Embedded Linux Music Operating System) which runs on a single board computer such as : http://www.eurotech.com/en/products/ISIS

They have an 8 inch touch screen and a 1.6G processor, i know 1.6G does not sound that much, but its not running a LARGE operating system like windows/OSX, so things are faster. It's an embedded design, it's VERY easy to add hardware features like pot's fader's clip and buttons etc. Making a great new way of producing music.

Anyways, happy jamming people...

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:39 pm

Sorry, but has to be the lamest excuse ever.
All you need is a MIDI Sidechain (which is possible with VST 2.x) which listens to Clip Status messages (Implemented for R. Hawtin since Live 3) from one or multiple tracks.
Failing that, you could make a custom API script. Just like the monome and Lemur community uses for this very purpose.
These options have been available since you were building your windows mobile controller.

Speaking as one procrastinator to another: I'm amazed at the quantity of work and publicity you've put in projects that eventually and sadly even predictably got canned because of feature creep.
The application you started out with looked simple and functional. Exactly what Live users who do their own lights need.
Then you dropped out, dropped back in with a new (unreleased) version, dropped back out and so on until you came to this inevitable point.

This is no joke, nor am I mocking you. But seriously dude, give this book a try: "Getting Things Done" and the new sequel "Making it all work". http://www.davidco.com/
I wouldn't recommend it if it were crap. GTD at the very least should help you to clear your mind of the 1001 ideas so that you can focus on a single idea.
Not saying it will change your life or even help you finish things. But it can't make it worse.

ava

Post by ava » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:48 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Sorry, but has to be the lamest excuse ever.
All you need is a MIDI Sidechain (which is possible with VST 2.x) which listens to Clip Status messages (Implemented for R. Hawtin since Live 3) from one or multiple tracks.
Failing that, you could make a custom API script. Just like the monome and Lemur community uses for this very purpose.
These options have been available since you were building your windows mobile controller.

Speaking as one procrastinator to another: I'm amazed at the quantity of work and publicity you've put in projects that eventually and sadly even predictably got canned because of feature creep.
The application you started out with looked simple and functional. Exactly what Live users who do their own lights need.
Then you dropped out, dropped back in with a new (unreleased) version, dropped back out and so on until you came to this inevitable point.

This is no joke, nor am I mocking you. But seriously dude, give this book a try: "Getting Things Done" and the new sequel "Making it all work". http://www.davidco.com/
I wouldn't recommend it if it were crap. GTD at the very least should help you to clear your mind of the 1001 ideas so that you can focus on a single idea.
Not saying it will change your life or even help you finish things. But it can't make it worse.

Good points there lol.

Did not know about the midi side chain idea. not too keen on the api script as also wanted it to work on cubase etc. BBut anyway, thanks for the info.

gafferuk

Post by gafferuk » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Just letting icann know my light-track.com has been taken by copyright infringement.
my name is Paul Garry Griffiths(Gafferuk). Bristol, England.

Im trying to find my old accound password for ava on here ableton.com forum. Thank you.

ps im still on windows...