12 hours left til this Macbook Pro is going back!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:33 am

scottevil wrote:
Although all of my plug-ins are PC and I have no interest in working in Mac just yet, ill install it and see how its performing in OSX.
now thats hilarious.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:50 am

inmazevo wrote: Be aware that as of the santa rosa models, Macbooks (including Pro as well) do not have a Texas Instruments FW chipset... it's agere.

If you're using a FW audio card, make sure the agere chipset is on their supported list (probably won't be recommended, but maybe supported).

Serious error on Apple's fault, and took the entire line of Macbooks off my radar until I see that the Agere's work (RME is/was having problems with that chipset, which is pretty telling... RME makes good stuff).

Luckily, I have the one-model-old Macbook. Slightly slower CPU, but TI Firewire, and it works great with Windows and OS X and my MOTU 828 and Focusrite Saffire (depending on whether I'm mobile or not).

Good luck with it,
- zevo
Wow, that's crazy. I guess I'm glad I didn't wait for the next product cycle last summer. :)

blank

Post by blank » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:25 am

apfEID wrote:dual core systems go to up to 200% in activity monitor, because there are two cores.
Sorry but I'm on a quad and can't go over 100%

Just noticing

-B
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

Verbal

Post by Verbal » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:14 am

It's already been said, but I'll say it again..

Why buy a Mac if you're using WinXP exclusively? Part of the price you pay for a Mac is for the excellent operating system. OS X is known to be great for audio, why not use it?

snowtires

Post by snowtires » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:03 am

Verbal wrote:It's already been said, but I'll say it again..

Why buy a Mac if you're using WinXP exclusively? Part of the price you pay for a Mac is for the excellent operating system. OS X is known to be great for audio, why not use it?
because how else is he going to use all of those pirated plugins?!

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:45 am

inmazevo wrote:
Emissary wrote: thats insane, i have the new santa rosa macbook 2ghz and i can only get the buffer to 512 and run about 7 copies of analogue before The whole system starts glicthing out at around 60% cpu and top says i'm using 120% what the heck?
Be aware that as of the santa rosa models, Macbooks (including Pro as well) do not have a Texas Instruments FW chipset... it's agere.

If you're using a FW audio card, make sure the agere chipset is on their supported list (probably won't be recommended, but maybe supported).

Serious error on Apple's fault, and took the entire line of Macbooks off my radar until I see that the Agere's work (RME is/was having problems with that chipset, which is pretty telling... RME makes good stuff).

Luckily, I have the one-model-old Macbook. Slightly slower CPU, but TI Firewire, and it works great with Windows and OS X and my MOTU 828 and Focusrite Saffire (depending on whether I'm mobile or not).

Good luck with it,
- zevo

Are these specs on the www.apple.com site ?
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset

Gnosis

Post by Gnosis » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:26 am

Because my macbook pro runs ableton live, and serato scratch live with less latency and more stability in XP than OSX. I paid the extra cash for OSX's great audio but it simply does not run as well as XP ... besides this is not really a mac v windows debate... trust we have our reasons.

The issue Scott E and I are having is in relation to the on-board sound card in windows (not extrenal... TI firewire does not really have anything to do with it either).

Firstly, In mac OS I can get the test tone to stay stable with at around 70 samples on my new 2.4 mbp so I know what the machine is capable of. It's fast.

I also know what windows is capable of as my last mbp was able to achieve 64 samples in windows compared to about 120 in mac os. It should really be faster on my new machine... not ~800.

What has clearly changed on the new MBPs is the audio driver supplied with bootcamp... it sucks. Realtek HD audio seems to be in a lot of windows based machines so it stands to reason that there might be an alternate driver out there or some form of mod to turn off all of the 'surround sound/entertainment setup' crap.

Has anyone using Realtek (windows users) found a way to get better performance from the drivers?

tricil

Post by tricil » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:42 am

Gnosis wrote:
Because my macbook pro runs ableton live, and serato scratch live with less latency and more stability in XP than OSX. I paid the extra cash for OSX's great audio but it simply does not run as well as XP ... besides this is not really a mac v windows debate... trust we have our reasons.

The issue Scott E and I are having is in relation to the on-board sound card in windows (not extrenal... TI firewire does not really have anything to do with it either).

Firstly, In mac OS I can get the test tone to stay stable with at around 70 samples on my new 2.4 mbp so I know what the machine is capable of. It's fast.

I also know what windows is capable of as my last mbp was able to achieve 64 samples in windows compared to about 120 in mac os. It should really be faster on my new machine... not ~800.

What has clearly changed on the new MBPs is the audio driver supplied with bootcamp... it sucks. Realtek HD audio seems to be in a lot of windows based machines so it stands to reason that there might be an alternate driver out there or some form of mod to turn off all of the 'surround sound/entertainment setup' crap.

Has anyone using Realtek (windows users) found a way to get better performance from the drivers?
Obvious answer, ASIO.

Second most obvious answer, External Interface.
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL