New plugin development resource

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Vors

New plugin development resource

Post by Vors » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:50 pm

Just over a year ago, I was working on a tune, and having some real difficulty transferring the content of my brain onto my computer. It occured to me that I really should just crack on with developing my own plugins, to help extended my creativity and knock down the computer/brain barrier. This proved more difficult than I'd originally imagined, mainly due to the lack of resources on the net and the complexity of the subject. So I thought it best to create a community site to aid developers of audio plugins by creating a central resource for information and tutorials. You're going to be able to do a lot of nice things, like work with other like minded developers/musicians on projects of your choice using the built in version control system. You'll also be able to use the wiki to upload or view tutorials on how to start developing. It's nearly ready, but I need some help, and that's what this post is all about.

I need people:

Site/Forum moderators
Skin artists to help with the front end.
Plugin Developers ;)
Nice people

This is going to be a heavily community driven site, ultimately, the more talented people that are behind it, the better it's going to be.

If want to get involved, or if you have any ideas you'd like to see on the site, PM me, post in this thread or email vorspan {at} plugins4ears {dot} com.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Vors x

sqook

Post by sqook » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:19 am

Developing plugins is a lot of work. Enough work, in fact, that I seem to fill up 40 hours a week doing it. ;)

Some advice then:

- Unless you already know how to program, you should stick to software environments such as synthedit, max/msp & pluggo, reaktor, etc. If you really want to create your own effects and instruments for making music, this is a much more time-effective solution.
- Such communities already exist; creating your own won't really go off the ground unless you have existing content/resources to offer people. I suggest checking out KVR's developer forum and urs heckman's site, for starters. For software-based (ie, non-programmed) stuff, most of these products have their own user forums.
- You won't find good developers or artists who work for free, so be prepared. Sorry, but that's just the way the world works.
- "Community driven" is really a euphemism for "I wish someone else would do this for me". Successful communities are created as a consequence of someone taking the lead and developing a successful idea or product, not by a bunch of people wishing for the existence of such a thing.

Good luck. :)

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:30 am

Im a nice person, more than happy to help :D

Could monitor the site :D

DIgiDennis

Post by DIgiDennis » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:53 am

go ahead
just in case you dont know the sdk..

Vors

Post by Vors » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:11 am

Thanks for your responses and advice.

sqook:

I am a programmer and I have lookied into using some of these apps in the past. You are correct about content, this is obviously one thing I do not have, and I would be relying on other people to provide this, at least until I have created my own work. I guess really the best place to really find out if there is a need for a site like this is the kvr forums, I'll drop a post in there, if enough people are interested, then the site will go ahead.

funky shit:

Thanks, I'll let you know if I need you.

Thank you for your time.