Os X drivers (Delta Audio Cards)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
twelve

Os X drivers (Delta Audio Cards)

Post by twelve » Mon May 20, 2002 10:09 pm

Hello,

i was wondering if anyone has used the delta audio card with the os x drivers they released and how recording, the card itself, and software (live, etc) performed???

Post by Guest » Wed May 22, 2002 2:32 am

I've got the Live demo working with a Delta 66 Omni I/O mixer combination on OS X. At leat, I can tweak the demo song, and play along with my bass.

I'm not sure what I'm doing yet...

twelve

Is it stable

Post by twelve » Wed May 22, 2002 6:02 pm

How is the stability? How long before a crash or an audio break-up?

Geraldo

Post by Geraldo » Thu May 23, 2002 3:41 am

I am running Live 1.5 (I bought it) on a Titanium 800Mhz/1Gb RAM under OSX using the built in sound manager and it crashes constantly. I have a email in to ABLETON tech support so they might sort it out. But who knows? LIVE promises a lot but I have to say so far I am not impressed. Even Cubase on my PC is more stable. Unless you have money to burn, I would stay away until they work out some more bugs in OSX. It may be more stable under another OS. I would like to try it on my other Mac using OS 9.2 or my PC with Windows 2000 but the registration process is more difficult than an audience with the Pope. I using Cubase at the moment ;)

os

Post by os » Thu May 23, 2002 7:55 am

Live 1.5 has never given me any trouble on my Titanium 667 under OS X or OS 9.2.2, using the built-in audio.
What have you set the audio buffer size to?

Mac osxer

performance

Post by Mac osxer » Thu May 23, 2002 2:11 pm

hi,
you have a problem with your system i would say. i use live 1.5 on a powerbook g4 550Mhz/512MB Ram with os x 10.1.4 and on os 9.2.2. Live runs great on both system and i never had a crash in the last four and a half month. it runs very,very stable.
take a look at your system or your installaion first.

MaCosX

Post by Guest » Thu May 23, 2002 3:31 pm

OS & Macosxer,
I have the same system as you, what do you mean, "check my system"? Its a Mac.
The only difference is I have 1Mb of DDR L3 cache memory. I am praying this is not the cause of the problem because there is nothing that can be done about that. -OS:I have used an array of different buffer settings and changing the buffer does make it more stable. It still crashes after 10 or 15 minutes. The installation is fine. The software is not.

twelve

Post by twelve » Thu May 23, 2002 10:32 pm

I have the same problem running os 9.2. After 15 minutes audio breaks up. Thats why i started this post because i was hoping os x would be more stable and would migrate over if i heard success but seems the same problems exist in both os. Does anyone understand why some people have no problems with mac and other seem to have no problems? Ableton, do you have problems running on mac, or if you have -then how did you solve these problems?

twelve

Post by twelve » Thu May 23, 2002 10:33 pm

I have the same problem running os 9.2. After 15 minutes audio breaks up. Thats why i started this post because i was hoping os x would be more stable and would migrate over if i heard success but seems the same problems exist in both os. Does anyone understand why some people have no problems with mac and other seem to have no problems? Ableton, do you have problems running on mac, or if you have -then how did you solve these problems?

twelve

Post by twelve » Thu May 23, 2002 10:34 pm

Sorry i type too fast. In the last reply i meant to ask "why do some people have problems on the mac and others do not"?

Geraldo

Post by Geraldo » Thu May 23, 2002 10:49 pm

I emailed my crash log to Mr. Kleine and he replied ,"Unfortunately we haven´t heard of this before... Please be a bit patient."
So Twelve, it seems that no one knows why.

os

Post by os » Fri May 24, 2002 7:51 am

My guess is that it's something to do with the new model TiBooks, which has brought to light a problem with either
- Live, in which case Ableton will have to fix it, but fair enough that they hadn't tested it, as these machines were only just released, or
- CoreAudio, possibly because these new TiBooks are the first ones with an audio input

With the latter in mind, is there any way to disable the audio input, and see what the stability is like just running with the audio output?

stid

Delta Audiophile 24/96

Post by stid » Fri May 24, 2002 12:05 pm

I use a Delta Audiophile 24/96 in Mac OsX with Live 1.5 (PPC 800 DP).

I have found just a little bugs in the preferecens if you change the sample rate to 96 during play... nothing terrible. You have just to stop the song. Ableton know the bugs.

The performance at 44hz are grat. No crash, no bugs. I have played and record loops for about 3-4h without problem.

No problem when you play and recording at the same time, also at high sample rate (48,96... with 5-6 loop).

I don't know if other sound harware work well... but the delta Audiophile for me is absolutely a good product and work well under OSX.