the i hate dave matthews thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dhilsabeck

Re: the i hate dave matthews thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by dhilsabeck » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:24 am

hey my friend
it seems your eyes are troubled
care to share your time with me
would you say you're feeling low and so
a good idea would be to get it off your mind
see you and me
have a better time than most can dream
have it better than the best
so can pull on through
whatever tears at us
whatever holds us down
and if nothing can be done
we'll make the best of what's around
turns out not where but who you're with
that really matters
and hurts not much when you're around
and if you hold on tight
to what you think is your thing
you may find you're missing all the rest
well she run up into the light surprised
her arms are open
her mind's eye is
seeing things from a
better side than most can dream
on a clearer road i feel
oh you could say she's safe
whatever tears at her
whatever holds her down
and if nothing can be done
she'll make the best of what's around

roudest monkey
01-16-2002

Rated 0
although i pause before i say this, i'd say this is my favorite dave song, just for the fact that it always puts me in a good mood. its such an upbeat song with a great message. it also gives some of the greatest advice i've ever heard, "and if you hold on tight to what you think is your thing you may find you're missing all the rest", awesome

tms6879
04-04-2002

Rated 0
absolutely love the line, "turns out not where, but who you're with that really matters." if everyone realized this, how beautiful this world would be

sungoddess
05-01-2002

Rated 0
i agree. this is a really good song, and it always lifts my spirits everytime i hear it!

rockerchica02
05-15-2002

Rated 0
thank God dave is a little upbeat and happy sometimes...sure we all like listening to sad and angry music at times, but it feels like thats all there is now. Dave has the best outlook on life and his music is inspiring....can't wait till i see him in july!!! even if my seats are like 2 miles away

sungoddess
05-23-2002

Rated 0
have fun seeing dave rockerchica.... i just saw him last month up in san antonio. my seats were far away too, but it was totally worth it!! the concert rocked!!

daverocks
05-27-2002

Rated 0
This has got to be one of the best Dave songs ever! you get such a good feeling inside when you listen to it. when i hear it i think how as long as you have someone you love or a friend or someone, and you make the most out of your life, then it's so much better. if you don't worry about trivial matters, and just live life to love one another. it's such a beautiful song.

daveandjackrule
05-27-2002

Rated 0
This song exerts such a posotive outlook on everything, he has a way of doin that in almost ever message he sends out, brilliant song sung by a brilliant guy. good start to under the table and dreaming also-=0---PEACE!
---#1 dave fan

traceyanne
05-30-2002

Rated 0
i love that line to; its something i would put in a letter to someone; and i really love the whole "hey love" part; that just makes the whole song for me

HalfLifeSuicide
06-05-2002

Rated 0
this song kicks my ass sideways

c Mack
06-06-2002

Rated 0
OK, best of whats around is my FAVORITE dave song. the lyrics are awesome and so positive; i just love it! ive been to many shows but ive only seen him sing this song once; the very first one i went to. i couldve died when he sang it live.
"see you & me have a better time than most can dream of..."

Mikafu
06-10-2002

Rated 0
Awesome song, always cheers me up, AND I CANT WIAT TO SEE HIM IN JULY TOO! WOOOOOOOOOOO

dmbfan14
06-11-2002

Rated 0
I love this song. It's just so positive. Dave matthews band has to be the best band ever. Ive never heard one song of his I didnt like.

chaos04
06-21-2002

Rated 0
this song can unavoidably put me in the best of moods, no matter what mood i am in. however, i love to listen to this song at emotionally high and low points in my life, in particular. i think the lyrics are up-beat without being corny, and it it hard to avoid corny for so many other bands. i love the interesting way in which the music is all pulled together. i must admit, i wasn't always and appreciater of dave, but when i listened to more than whatever it was that was his first hit on the radio (i can't even remember now, i was a bit younger) i liked it, i heard something, beyond what i originally thought of the band. and although, i can't say they're my favortite band of all time, i really could never pick just one favorite band....

iro
07-06-2002

Rated 0
Don't have such a world-limited view. Realise that you have it better than 'most can dream' . Things we have are not defined by the amount, but the quality. So if it all gets bad, realise what you have, is better than most. If you dwell in your problems, you realise you are missing a positive sign. It's around you, not around others, make the best of it.
2c

PJRocker41
07-12-2002

Rated 0
The best part of this song is that ot only is it positive, but it is REAL, just like Dave and all the rest of the guys (Carter, Stefan, oyd, LeRoi, y gotta love 'em all) are real. This song has been part of what has made me have a great summer, because everywhere I go I think to myself "Turns out not where but who you're with that really matter." Little could be more true! I have fun at work all the time, because, like this song suggests, I realize that the people that you are around man more than anything else. Alot of hard things have been going on in my life since last summer, but I turn to thi song a lot, because "we can pull on through whatever tears at us...". This song is very deliberate and outward in meaning, different from many other DMB songs- so mostly, all yu can say is that it rocks!

deathbear
07-26-2002

Rated 0
love this song makes me happy and hopeful

bigkufan
08-06-2002

Rated 0
Is there a better ending to a song than this one???

The sound of a group singing together like that...MAN!

meaningman
08-20-2002

Rated 0
Depth in Dave

Of all the hundreds of Dave Matthews Band fans that flock to their concerts, how many actually listen to the lyrics? They all sing a long, dance, and enjoy the atmosphere, but do they have an appreciation for the greater meaning in Dave?s lyrics? Personally, I used to be oblivious to his insightful words. Now, I find it much more interesting to dissect each song because the music can often distract a listener from the lyrics. I believe that if more people analyzed the meaning behind the words they sing, they would discover that most bands and solo performers are entertainers not artists.
I was first introduced to the Dave Matthews Band by my sister who became a fanatic at collage. I was familiar with the bands? singles that were being played on radio and MTV, songs like "What Would You Say," "Satellite," and "Ants Marching." She loved the whole album and soon I did too. The musicianship and vocals were outstanding on each song. Matthews used his voice like an instrument, going up and down and stretching words to fit the melody. His vocals were so unorthodox that I often misinterpreted him. In the song, "The Best of What?s Around," Dave sings "...that really matters." I assumed he was singing, "that?s really my toe nails." I was like an old man with a hearing problem, just nodding my head to avoid the embarrassment of miscomprehension. I didn?t understand Matthews?s message, but in time I did.
Nearly three years after I had been introduced to DMB, I became aware of the meaning within the lyrics. At the time I had been going through a lot of girl problems, so my friend, Pat, who was also a DMB fan, thought he would give me some advice. He told me the old clich?, "there are a lot of fish in the sea." He also said, "If you hold on tight to what you think is your thing, you may find your missing all the rest." The phrase he mentioned sounded familiar and I asked him who said it. I was expecting Gandhi or Jesus but he explained that it was in a DMB song. He was well versed and began reciting more lines from various tunes. As the words rolled from his mouth, I began to realize how powerful and stimulating Dave?s lyrics were.
Recently while listening to "The Best of What?s Around," I became aware of an instance where life imitated art. The song, which starts, "Hey my friend it seems your eyes are troubled/ care to share your time with me," made me think about my experience with Pat. Matthews?s song explained how a friend of his was in despair, so he attempted to console her. It wasn?t much different from my situation. In the song Dave states, "see, you and me/ have a better time than most can dream/have it better than the best/so can pull on through." My interpretation is that when two people talk to each other about their troubles, it can be an amazing experience. I believe that Matthews is trying to convey the idea that when too many people try to solve a problem it will cause conflicting arguments. When two friends can talk one on one, much more can be resolved. Then you can pull on through.
Another lyric I am fond of goes like this, "And if you hold on tight to what you think is your thing/ you may find your missing all the rest." In my experience this referred to my problems with a girl. Although this could have been what Matthews had in mind, it is a very complex statement that could have many meanings. It could signify that you should pursue many careers because if you don?t try everything, you could miss the one job you would enjoy the most. Or it could mean that if you only listen to Country stations, your missing all the other music that can be just as enjoyable, if not more. It can, and does mean these things. It is a statement that challenges you to open you're mind and think of all the possibilities the world has to offer.
In yet another lyric Dave reflects, "turns out not where but who your with that really matters." Although I thought it had something to do with toenails, I found much more meaning in this portion of the song. It is a simple phrase that holds so much truth. You could be in Jamaica, Hawaii or even Disney World, but if you?re with a person who is annoying and bothersome, it won?t be a good time because you?re not with someone you care about or who cares about you. On the other hand, you could be in a cardboard box and have the best time in the world if you are there with someone who makes you feel like life is worth living.
Though no one way of living is perfect, many human beings get so caught up in a routine that life becomes monotonous. When we open our minds, we find that life doesn't have to be a cookie cutter. If we throw out our conventional ways of thinking, existence can be more enjoyable and interesting. This is what I get from the line "on a clearer road I feel/ oh you could say she's safe." I certainly concur. I feel the more natural and less shaped a daily routine becomes, the more enjoyable life is. For instance if you go to the same restaurant every weekend, order the same item, and have the same drink, how is that living? A lot of people form habits this way and become narrow minded. Of course we are humans and habit forming is our nature, but when we break the mold of the cookie cutter, we can find that their are other tasty dishes on the menu.
The way I see it, it doesn?t take a Harvard Graduate to figure out what these lyrics state. They are universal truths that most people must become aware of. Dave is not a God nor is he a preacher. He is just a man who knows how to be an individual. I believe the best way to find yourself is to clear your mind of what you?ve been taught throughout your lifetime. If you open your mind to every possibility, then life will be more complete and so will you. You can also find that there is less worry and more peace of mind. If you give ?The Best of What's Around,? a listen, you might get a different message, but this is what I think of when I hear it. The song may be a string of simple truths coated with beautiful melody but it has a message like a true piece of art, which is more than I can say for any Britney Spears song.

Mere64GA
09-07-2002

Rated 0
You are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I agree! I couldnt have said it better myself!

youneverknow
03-04-2003

Rated 0
Bigkufan i def.agree with you, and i think the ending of this song with the group singing together is awesome. This song is one of their best. Unlike most dmb songs this one means exactly what is being stated.

Title_Track
03-29-2003

Rated 0
That's a really long comment. I like this song.

UNCWDMBfan
06-05-2003

Rated 0
yeah, that is a long comment, and i do appreciate the lyrics, i was so pissed when i went and saw dave and tim in winston salem and boone and he didn't play best of whats around, but its ok two great shows anyway

LordNikon
06-19-2003

Rated 0
good call meaningman...i feel you totally on all of it

tnh34
06-27-2003

Rated 0
meaningman you are awesome - its so true that some people just listen to dave and they don't really know what he's trying to say. i think it's important to try and figure out what message he wants to get through.

Bizzo
07-01-2003

Rated 0
I personally think this songs means that you shouldn't worry about all of the bad things that are happening to you at the time and just make the "Best Of What's Around"

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:32 am

^^

After reading this, I felt like killing myself. :roll:

Oh yeah, and I'm a fucking douchebag to the max!

:D

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:56 am

A website devoted to DMB tattoos. I shit you not.

http://www.dmbtattoo.com/

dude rancher

Post by dude rancher » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:59 am

Cheese Whiz never sleeps...