Logic 8 finally released! NO JOKE THIS TIME!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
rbro

Post by rbro » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:40 am

adventurepants_ wrote:
nate_D wrote:
shaneblyth wrote: no cause i quoted you as making the misquote but hey it may be fun to get arrested and you can quote me on that.. can I quote you on your quote of my quote of someone elses quote :roll:
:|

i think i actually started the misquoting because of a typo i made. apologies for any confusion to any involved!
A-HA! So you are now LIABLE for everything!!! BWAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:42 am

Internet court is now in session!

All please rise for Judge Ableton.

shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:16 am

theque wrote:i pray they have rewritten the manuals from scratch, i read the logic 6 manual and have never been the same since. painful reading
go check them out before you buy (all Logic manuals)
http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/logicpro/
MacbookPro Core2Duo 17" 160 gb SATA 2gb ram.
Korg M3
1 Terabyte External Drive
Presonus Firebox
Live 6,

headquest

Post by headquest » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:29 am

13 pages in, and have y'all noticed that the main point of interest is the new PRICE of Logic?

Beyond that, and bundling so much stuff, what is actually NEW about Logic 8? Okay, they squeezed it into a single window (me wonders about backwards compatibility, is the Logic Environment still there, etc) and whether the main programme has been really dumbed down. Other than that there's not a lot to be looking at here so far as I can see... this release is very much trading on Logic's FORMER glory, with Apple trying to realise their previous investment.

It's still LOGIC. When it was cross platform it was about as popular as Cubase and Cakewalk. And IIRC one of its main attractions was that it was always regarded as a big *exclusive*, in part BECAUSE it was so expensive :wink:

Being Logic, that means:

* the Developer's main concern is to use it as a carrot for selling hardware
* Once that is acheived and they grabbed a few headlines, it will again be abandoned for ages
* Bugs in it may never get fixed, or at least for a long while
* It will be another three years for an update, during which time it will appear to have been completely abandoned
* Logic 9 will get released the next time Apple want to increase their market share among musicians
* Failing that, there will never be a Logic 9

Okay, so I'm feeling quite cynical about this one. And slightly miffed that it may damage the companies like Ableton who I have rather more respect for. Ableton are, after all, a company committed first to music. The making money part (which seems to consume Apple) is important to any business, but I see little reatiove innovation in Logic 8 to get excited about.

What happened to touch-screen technology, etc...? Much more useful to iPod users than musicians I guess :roll:
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:32 am

theque wrote:i pray they have rewritten the manuals from scratch, i read the logic 6 manual and have never been the same since. painful reading
+1

shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:48 am

LOFA wrote:
+1
go download them and read them http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/logicpro/
Korg M3
Presonus Firebox
Live 6,

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:02 am

To me, Live and Logic are apples and oranges (no pun intended!) They complement each other, and aren't mutually exclusive.

One is a live performance instrument masquerading as a DAW, and the other is a DAW with some live performance elements thumbtacked on.

Analogy - I can do vector graphics in Photoshop and bitmap work in Illustrator, but I don't. I use each of them for what they're good at.

Oscar F

Post by Oscar F » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:06 am

Freekster wrote:
Well, 96% of PC users use Crack versions of all audio software. But for people that use legal software, Logic is really something good.

How the hell do you work that one out ???????????????????? :lol:

Sonar, Nuendo, Live, Protools LE, Tracktion 3, Cubase SX etc etc are "something really good" to an awful lot of legitimate software using PC P33P's also.

Can you even back such a gross generalization up.
I know of more than a handful Mac users with cracks of Logic I might add and Cracks of Live and NI stuff also.
Using a Mac doesn't by default make all users legit.
Somewhere between a rock and a hard place is actually nowhere.

RobertX

Post by RobertX » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:10 am

hambone1 wrote:Analogy - I can do vector graphics in Photoshop and bitmap work in Illustrator, but I don't. I use each of them for what they're good at.
As someone who has a day job at a prepress company, I can identify with that. Great analogy.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:10 am

SolonOfAthens wrote:I don't get all the talk about dropping Live for Logic. I'm buying Logic 8 for all it has to offer for the price, but I don't think that I will like making music in it more than in Live. I love making music in Live. Although as someone said earlier, Live will have to do something about the seperate high price of sampler and operator. I will definetly be upgrading to Live 7 when it comes out, and I hope they keep competing hard on the DAW front. Composing in Live works for my brain, for what that's worth.
+1
Apple iMac 2013 / Macbook Late 2012
Live 10 Suite,Zebra ,Guitar, Bass, VG99, JV1010 and some controllers

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:52 am

RobertX wrote:
hambone1 wrote:Analogy - I can do vector graphics in Photoshop and bitmap work in Illustrator, but I don't. I use each of them for what they're good at.
As someone who has a day job at a prepress company, I can identify with that. Great analogy.
Sincere question: Where would indesign fit into this equation? :o

shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:54 am

Oscar F wrote: ......
I know of more than a handful Mac users with cracks of Logic I might add and Cracks of Live and NI stuff also.
Using a Mac doesn't by default make all users legit.
Cracks of Logic ? I though Logic (pro at least) was uncrackable ?
Korg M3
Presonus Firebox
Live 6,

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:55 am

shaneblyth wrote:
LOFA wrote:
+1
go download them and read them http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/logicpro/
Only if and when I consider purchasing it. In the meantime it's merely a curiosity. Thanks for the link though.

cmusicmaker

Post by cmusicmaker » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:04 am

RobertX wrote:
Yes as an onwer of Illustrator and Photoshop as well it is an excellent analogy.

Hi HQ...the web is a small place eh? :)
* the Developer's main concern is to use it as a carrot for selling hardware
Totally. IT would not surprise me if later versions of Logic are even cheaper. I think an even bigger deal potentailly here for Ableton is Logic Express 8.

http://www.apple.com/logicexpress/

They removed the 4 insert limitation that Logic Express 7 had it now equals Logic Pro 8 (15 inserts). It is like a much more modern version of the older Logic Pro 6 with more FX and instruments. But for $199.

As has been said Live is a different app to Logic (session view has no equal in Logic...Mainstage seems instrument focused not audio clip and MIDI focused like Live) but judging by this thread many users like to use Live as a DAW...those Live users may be seriously interested in Logic xpress 8. Ultrabeat and Guitar AMP Pro are thrown in and it looks like only surround, Soundtrack Pro and a few other things are missing.
* Once that is acheived and they grabbed a few headlines, it will again be abandoned for ages
This is the thing about Apple. Will they do this again? Difficult to tell but looking at their track record it looks likely.
* Bugs in it may never get fixed, or at least for a long while
Ableton have certainly done very well with Live 6 here. Apple's record is not great here.
* It will be another three years for an update, during which time it will appear to have been completely abandoned
It's possible that Apple are not even that bothered as the price drop for Logic 9 will likely be so low they know it will be in demand again.
* Logic 9 will get released the next time Apple want to increase their market share among musicians

For sure.
* Failing that, there will never be a Logic 9
Maybe...but one thing is for sure Ableton IMO shold review their pricing of Live + insturments...I somehow doubt they can afford to do that but might for a limited time.

I really think those who use Live as a DAW might consider Logic Express 8. It is a total application for just £100.

Full specs.... (over 30 instruments and 50+ FX)
http://www.apple.com/logicexpress/specs/

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:25 am

hambone1 wrote:To me, Live and Logic are apples and oranges (no pun intended!) They complement each other, and aren't mutually exclusive..
+1...Live is quite a different beast it is true. I cant see myself ever dropping Live.

Whats more interesting to me is not what this release may do to Live but more what it will do to Pro Tools LE. Compare PTLE and Logic8 and it's a no brainer. Digidesign have just released their structure software sampler...$500 just for that thank you very much. I'd drop Pro Tools in a second if I didn't need to use it at work. I hope this fires a rocket up their arrogant arses!
:: Current Releases ::
lunabass - Beatport
www.lunabass.com
www.theteahauss.com