Logic 8 finally released! NO JOKE THIS TIME!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:40 am

Tarekith wrote:No more dongle either!!!! Finally!!!!

Wow, that's a huge upgrade for the price, I can't believe they cut the price of a new version in half, AND you get Soundtrack too.
Frankly, I'm happy for ya!

mekon

Post by mekon » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:03 am

The main thing of note here is that this is the Ableton forum.
ie most/all of us chose to use Live for one reason or another.
Ive just spent most of yesterday looking at the features etc in logic Studio and can't believe the value for money.
But having slept on it, all I could think of was pity u cant use the effects in Live, pity u cant use the instruments etc in Live.
Its good for us users that Live 7 will probably now be bigger and cheaper than it might have been, due to market pressure from Logic.
But at the end of the day Logic isnt Live.
Sorry if this all comes across as pious, because trust me my gear lust nearly won yesterday and the credit card was getting very warm.
A good nights sleep made it all look very different.
Anyway rambling coffee fuelled dribblings over.
Pls resume as normal :)
Mekon
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz - lots of ModCan modular - and a talent for making a racket

musick

Post by musick » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:09 am

mekon wrote:The main thing of note here is that this is the Ableton forum.
Ive just spent most of yesterday looking at the features etc in logic Studio and can't believe the value for money.
But having slept on it, all I could think of was pity u cant use the effects in Live, pity u cant use the instruments etc in Live.
Its good for us users that Live 7 will probably now be bigger and cheaper than it might have been, due to market pressure from Logic.
Sorry if this all comes across as pious, because trust me my gear lust nearly won yesterday and the credit card was getting very warm.
A good nights sleep made it all look very different.
Anyway rambling coffee fuelled dribblings over.
Pls resume as normal :)
Mekon
:lol:

Have another night sleep and look again at all the great stuff you get with Logic. Even UltraBeat has sidechaining now...
MacPro, Synthesizers.com modular, Logic Studio, RME FireFace 400, Waves, Live 8/Ableton Suite/Drum Machines/M4L, MaxMSP, MoogerFoogers

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:11 am

But where are the dummy clips? :lol:

mekon

Post by mekon » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:21 am

Musick - get thee behind me Satan :)
I'd cut up my credit card for the weekend, but you dont need the card to order online - gahh!
Like I say I cant deny the value for money gear lust that I'm experiencing.
Please someone tell me its all crap and that Live 7 will be so great my legs will drop off with excitement.
Mekon

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:30 am

I'd like to congratulate this thread on it's 21st page

congratulations completely different product, long may you continue to inspire people to declare their love for Logic on this forum.

21 more pages

XXX

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:14 am

mekon wrote:Musick - get thee behind me Satan :)
I'd cut up my credit card for the weekend, but you dont need the card to order online - gahh!
Please someone tell me its all crap and that Live 7 will be so great my legs will drop off with excitement.
Mekon
Live 7 will make you create such huge trance that will make you dance so hard that your pubes will catch fire like tinder.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

musick

Post by musick » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:49 pm

mekon wrote:Musick - get thee behind me Satan :)
Mekon
:lol:

UltraBeat alone is worth the price of Express, add to that sidechaining, muting/soloing of events, busses, mixes and subgrouping and you'll see it's real cheap. Of course you can rewire Live into it for the nice things it is good at.

I don't think Ableton needs to worry as long as they stay true to where they come from: Live is the only/best program for live performing. Producing and recording is not it's strength (sorry somebody feels offended by this).
MacPro, Synthesizers.com modular, Logic Studio, RME FireFace 400, Waves, Live 8/Ableton Suite/Drum Machines/M4L, MaxMSP, MoogerFoogers

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:54 pm

musick wrote:I don't think Ableton needs to worry as long as they stay true to where they come from: Live is the only/best program for live performing.
+1

I fully intend to use both next to each other...

mekon

Post by mekon » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:28 pm

If you were to run the 2 next to each other wouldnt it murder your computer resources?
I have a macbook pro 2ghz - would it survive both?
Mekon

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:04 pm

ordered logic 8 next day shipping.

musick

Post by musick » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:21 pm

mekon wrote:If you were to run the 2 next to each other wouldnt it murder your computer resources?
I have a macbook pro 2ghz - would it survive both?
Mekon
Don't expect it would be a problem.

hat

Post by hat » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:37 pm

I was never a Logic user, pretty faithful to Live for the past 4 years, but I must admit I'm quite tempted. I also use PT LE, mostly for mixing and other stuff, and waited for the next Logic release to see if all the rumors were true (ie: more intuitive interface, etc.) and for the most part it seems that most wishes came true. However, I think by switching to Logic now, despite the great price tag and all the instruments and effects bundled....I think I would miss the warping features of Live, as well as the very quick editing of audio regions (pitching down a sample by two octaves, one-button reversing, etc...). I know this can be done in Logic too but just a few more hoops to jump through. Also, will Logic give the ability to just drag and audio file (AIFF, not necessarily an Apple Loop) and preview at project tempo/drop in the timeline...like in Live? Hmm...we'll see....I feel as though Logic 8 is more in competition with ProTools but not so much with Live. I still might get it, and use both as mentioned before...

xrayfish

I feel like such a slut

Post by xrayfish » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:24 am

mekon wrote:The main thing of note here is that this is the Ableton forum.

I've been using Live (and Reason) since version 2. I absolutely love Live, especially Live 6.

but....

I'm so ashamed, I didn't sleep on it and went ahead and bought Logic - those yummy toys were just so.......... yummy.

I know I don't 'need it' but I had some birthday money burning a hole in my pocket.

I was seriously thinking of shelling out for Sampler but Logic Express is cheaper and so ...

>sniff<

...I'm afraid I've been unfaithful :cry:

Sorry Abes, can you ever forgive me?

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

blaugruen7

Post by blaugruen7 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:27 am

rewire live to logic and all will become good again...