SONAR 7

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kb420

SONAR 7

Post by kb420 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:31 pm

There have been a lot of post on here about Logic 8 for the Mac guys. Well, check out what Cake has done for all of us pc users.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/ ... atures.swf
http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/default.asp
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

ARDJ

Post by ARDJ » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:52 pm

i made the switch from sonar to ableton.... there are numerous features i liked about sonar that i miss but i will say, the sequencer that has kept me coming back is ableton... and thats only because the workflow on it is SO FAST. anyways, these updates look great :)

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:53 pm

I'm shocked. I think that this is probably the best update ever. They have made some major improvements. I can't wait to upgrade!!
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Silicon/Silicium

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:04 am

thats a looot of improvement! considering that and the low price of logic 8, will we see a cool live 7 update??

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:14 am

Call me picky, but I don't think it is that huge an upgrade. The most significant was 4 to 5 when they introduced 64 bit architecture and proper vst support, plus the nice set of lexicon reverbs and sonitus fx.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

jamester

Post by jamester » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:00 am

leedsquietman wrote: The most significant was 4 to 5 when they introduced ...the nice set of lexicon reverbs and sonitus fx.
Those have been around since version 3, and the Lexicon reverb never impressed me personally. The SonitusFX are most excellent however, to this day they are my go-to favs and the compressor is a real sleeper. It's so versatile!

Anyways, I left Sonar at v.5 for Live and now Reaper, and while I do think this is a very nice update - and more impressive than 5/6 IMO - it in no way makes me want to go back to using it.

Sonar's not a bad program but....eh. The Reaper forum is filled with ex-Sonar users.
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

headquest

Post by headquest » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:23 am

Good though Reaper undoubtedly is for the price, Reaper 2 looks quite primative compared to Sonar 7. What an amzing tool set they are offering, and still at a very reasonable price. 8O

6 was a huge update imho, and 7 takes it to the next level again. I see that the upgrade cost from 5 or 6 to 7 is the same, so I've lost nothing by skipping a year. The new stuff from 6 and 7 combined makes the upgrade an extraordinary bargain... IF it all works well, and if I really want it. Sometimes less really is more.

My feeling with Sonar has been though that it is abit like a chav wedding - all the right trappings, often in spades, but somehow a bit lacking in class :wink:

Anyway, between them Logic 8 on mac and Sonar 7 on PC look good to sweep the board though. Poor old Steinberg!
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:45 am

headquest wrote:Anyway, between them Logic 8 on mac and Sonar 7 on PC look good to sweep the board though. Poor old Steinberg!
Not to mention Digital Performer! 8O Basically I think those two are going to get very small.
Logic still kills everything with the feature set and price right now, but Sonar has some nice stuff too. Pro Tools, and the other two are becoming a joke. :twisted:

headquest

Post by headquest » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:05 am

I don't see anything currently challenging Pro Tools HD in studios, and with LE and MP they are now making some serious inroads into education, via their Sibelius acquisition (and M-Audio). So I think that PT will actually be increasing its market share at this point.

I agree that DP has a shaky looking future at this point, and Cubase's massive market share is only going to dwindle - C4 looks very out of step at this point.

Listen on Soundcloud

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:12 am

Isnt the Cubase4 upgrade about the same price as Logic8 :lol:

So whats the big deal with Reaper ?
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:15 am

headquest wrote:I don't see anything currently challenging Pro Tools HD in studios, and with LE and MP they are now making some serious inroads into education, via their Sibelius acquisition (and M-Audio). So I think that PT will actually be increasing its market share at this point.

I agree that DP has a shaky looking future at this point, and Cubase's massive market share is only going to dwindle - C4 looks very out of step at this point.
Pro Tools will eventually go down, it's impossible to maintain a stranglehold on recording studios by pure entrenchment alone. What I mean is at some point Nuendo, or maybe MOTU even decide to work on stability period, and become an honest to goodness challenge to Pro Tools DSP cards. I think it will come from Cakewalk or Apple though.

At some point computers are going to be so fast that it will literally be impossible for a studio to justify the 15 thousand dollar purchase of Pro Tools.
Yes, this was probably said 5 years ago, but it's just becoming even more plausible that people look at the emperor and realize he wants too much money for his services.

greta

Post by greta » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:53 am

A Sonar 6 user here but am really unsure about upgrading as i'm slowly falling out with it. This upgrade tends to be heavy on the midi side which is great but the majority of midi work i do in live. I'm going to check out Audition 3 first. Hell what i really want to do is save my pennies and get a mac for Logic but that may be a leap of faith to far.

mbenigni

Post by mbenigni » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:25 pm

Tempting, but no. I agree with ARDJ that the workflow in Live trumps all of the peripheral niceties in Sonar. I actually own Sonar 6PE and have been on the upgrade path since the early 90's, but I haven't actually used it since discovering Live. I think this time I'll get wise and skip v7. Better to put the $180 toward plugins to make the Live environment - which I'll actually use - more robust.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:21 pm

I haven't used Sonar all that much since using Live, but the new midi improvements makes me want to revisit it. Sonar is finally capable of side chaining as well, so it can do everything I need it to when it comes to mixing.

I think I will upgrade. To me, this update is a winner.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

headquest

Post by headquest » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:09 pm

greta wrote: I'm going to check out Audition 3 first.
+1.

For sequencing I just love Live and find it so much more inspiring an environment than Sonar. A personal view of course. And I also love Reason.

But when it comes to audio recording/editing/mastering etc I already have and love Audition 2. It is a superb complement to Live, filling the gaps Live has on the audio side and giving truly professional results of course. Leaving aside the addition of simple MIDI editing and VSTi support, I think that on the audio side Audition 3 looks to have some superb improvements, such as auto-crossfading and clip handles, improved editing in the frequency spectrum domain, multicore support, convolution reverb, Radius stretching... so I'm certainly looking forward to checking that stuff out, and the upgrade is very reasonably priced too.

Listen on Soundcloud