Logic 8 is amazing! Ableton Headquarters please....

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
xzusa8ky

Logic 8 is amazing! Ableton Headquarters please....

Post by xzusa8ky » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:39 pm

take a look at this baby...I do love Live very much but the new Logic 8 is just really amazing!

I do hope that Ableton will take a look at Logic 8!

The difference between Live and Logic is really big!

Logic 8 sounds just perfect! Sounds like butter!

Logic 8 is so Tight! And the workflow is also amazing!

So many things that Ableton have to do with Live 7 to catch up with Logic 8!

I really do hope they will take a lesson from Logic 8!

Just have to say that....Sad but true......
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

inmazevo

Post by inmazevo » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:25 pm

Logic Pro 8 is:
"The most feature packed, plugin filled, capable DAW on the Mac market... that doesn't work."

I've had it since it was released, and it's great, WHEN IT WORKS!!

Go to the Logic Pro Help forum and look up "Core Audio Overload" to see what it's REALLY like behind the advertisement... for some, at least.

I actually CAN'T use it on a stock Macbook 2.16GHz.
2 audio loop tracks + 2 virtual instruments @ 1024 audio buffer = Core Audio Overload.

Apple Hardware + Apple Software = It just works
Sure, whatever...

100% of my projects fail with this error, which is now over A YEAR old. It started for many with 7.2 on Intel Macs and is MUCH worse with 8.0.

Nice idea. Horrible execution.
Live 5, on the other hand, gives me 15 virtual instruments and 10-15 audio tracks, with effects, on the SAME Macbook.

Logic, right now = GarbageBand

It really is the sexiest DAW I've never been able to use.
Seems fine for the audio guys, but if you want virtual instruments, it's NOT the ticket.

Mine's for sale, if anybody's interested. After waiting throughout 7.2 for a fix that didn't come in 8, I'm pretty much done.
Live 6 upgrade for $120, that works, is a far better expense.

- zevo
infinite density, zero volume

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:01 pm

sorry to hear that! but i can't follow you? on my G5 machine Logic 8 is running stabel as a rock! are you sure that you have done things right?
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

zebastian21

Post by zebastian21 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:19 pm

inmazevo wrote:Logic Pro 8 is:
"The most feature packed, plugin filled, capable DAW on the Mac market... that doesn't work."

I've had it since it was released, and it's great, WHEN IT WORKS!!

Go to the Logic Pro Help forum and look up "Core Audio Overload" to see what it's REALLY like behind the advertisement... for some, at least.

I actually CAN'T use it on a stock Macbook 2.16GHz.
2 audio loop tracks + 2 virtual instruments @ 1024 audio buffer = Core Audio Overload.

Apple Hardware + Apple Software = It just works
Sure, whatever...

100% of my projects fail with this error, which is now over A YEAR old. It started for many with 7.2 on Intel Macs and is MUCH worse with 8.0.

Nice idea. Horrible execution.
Live 5, on the other hand, gives me 15 virtual instruments and 10-15 audio tracks, with effects, on the SAME Macbook.

Logic, right now = GarbageBand

It really is the sexiest DAW I've never been able to use.
Seems fine for the audio guys, but if you want virtual instruments, it's NOT the ticket.

Mine's for sale, if anybody's interested. After waiting throughout 7.2 for a fix that didn't come in 8, I'm pretty much done.
Live 6 upgrade for $120, that works, is a far better expense.

- zevo
Dude...its not Logic the problem...I think there;s got to be something wrong with your set up or the way you try to use LOgic.
stop talking.....start working...:)
Macbook pro. Logic pro/Live. Access Virus Ti. Genelec 8040. my bread and butter :)

shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:46 am

logic 8 is very stable as in rock solid on my system and i have heard the saem from others.. more stable than 7 so u must have a "personal" problem so to speak as i dont see any other compalnts
MacbookPro Core2Duo 17" 160 gb SATA 2gb ram.
Korg M3
1 Terabyte External Drive
Presonus Firebox
Live 6,

jsb

Works like a dream on my 1.25 GHz G4

Post by jsb » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:49 am

Zebastian - ya, there must be problems with your system. Logic 8 runs like a dream even on my old 1.25 GHz G4. The bundled software instruments (including great sampler), plug-ins, loops, etc are incredible...check them out in the tabs on this site:

http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/logicpro/

I am very impressed by the value, depth, and ease-of-use....

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:59 am

that quick swipe comping feature looks so great for hiphop I can't even tell you, it's got to speed up the workflow for Mcs and turntablist alike when laying down tracks

inmazevo

Post by inmazevo » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:55 am

I've noticed that it doesn't seem to happen to the G4/G5 line, and LP7 didn't do it to me on those either.
7.2 threw this error periodically.
8.0 throws it all the time.

Nothing special about the system. It's a stock Macbook with no apps installed. In fact, as we speak, I'm finishing up a complete wipe of the hard drive and reinstall of ONLY Logic Pro 8 and nothing else.
That should be as vanilla as it gets, so we'll see.

As for being the only one:
This is a very common problem for people with Intel Macs. It's not the majority, and I've yet to figure out the commonality, other than it started being particularly noticeable on the Intel Macs with 7.2 and higher.

Just go to the Logic Pro Help forum and you'll find plenty of other people who've also had this issue, and it's over a year old. Some have it speradically, while others have it chronically. Search for Core Audio Overload, or Audio Overload, and you'll see the threads.

There's even an Apple Knowledge Base article on it.

It's a bug in something... OS X, or Logic Pro, or their interaction.
I've checked the disks, and tested them memory, and repaired permissions. Now I'm down to the reinstall and start over bit.

If it hits you, you're screwed, as it doesn't go away until you rewind the project and replay it, and even then it sometimes takes more than one playback restart to fix it.
If you have a stock Mac that more than meets the system requirements and nothing installed buy the OS and Logic Pro 8, it should just work.

I'm glad it's working for some. It's a sexy applicaton that I'd love to have working.

I'm testing it on an iMac soon, as well as a 2.4 Macbook Pro with 4GB of memory. All Intel-based Macs, and all current line. I'll also be testing it on each with both internal sound card and 1) MOTU 828 and 2) Presonus Firebox and 3) RME FF800.

We'll see... I'm crossing my fingers. But, if these projects fail on all three systems with all three audio cards, I'm out. Surely that won't hapen, and maybe I'll find out what's going on.

- zevo

shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:43 am

macbooks shared memory maybe ? the there was a pro app update and a mainstage update out in the last few days.. cross your fingers
MacbookPro Core2Duo 17" 160 gb SATA 2gb ram.
Korg M3
1 Terabyte External Drive
Presonus Firebox
Live 6,

NewSc2

Post by NewSc2 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:39 am

inmazevo wrote: 100% of my projects fail with this error, which is now over A YEAR old. It started for many with 7.2 on Intel Macs and is MUCH worse with 8.0.

- zevo
I've actually never had any problems with Logic 7.2 on my old Powerbook, old Macbook, or current MBP. Like seriously, 0. If there were any I've forgotten about them, which means at least 99% of the time I run Logic nothing glitches. I'd reformat your computer if I were you, and start off with new projects (or bounce your old ones). Don't have Logic 8 yet..

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:30 am

I'd get pretty frequent core audio errors with 7.2.3 on my MBP, and it's one reason I stopped using Logic. But so far Logic 8 hasn't done this, and in all the many forums and the apple discussions I've been watching about Logic 8, I've only seen it mentioned once, so not too sure how common this is as you claim.

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:38 pm

L8 is yet to give me a core audio error on either my MacBook Pro or my MacPro. I'm suspecting pilot error, since all I've seen so far are comments on how the core audio errors have disappeared.
ethios4 wrote:One thing to remember is that you will probably never ever get to experience your own music the way you experience other people's music.
http://www.myspace.com/kristallin

kenn michael

Post by kenn michael » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:59 pm

Yep, runs perfectly on both my PPC and Intel systems. No issues here. Tons of plugins, tons of virtual synths and tracks. Smooth as silk.

inmazevo

Post by inmazevo » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:22 pm

I reinstalled the OS (with no options), LP8, + Pro App update and NOTHING else. No 3rd party plugins or software of any kind.

I can also now reproduce it at will:

- create a project with 1 audio loop track starting at measure 1
- add a midi loop for Ultrabeat on measure 5
- add a midi loop for ES2 on measure 9
- add a midi loop for ES2 on measure 13
- add a midi loop for ES2 on measure 17
- no effects

Play it back and all is good.
Reboot the machine.
Open Logic Pro 8 and hit play (before doing anything else).
Bam, Overload. CPU spikes at region start for all virtual instruments as well.

Once you've played the project 1-2 times, it stops throwing the error.

Both machine do this, with both built-in sound card/drivers and MOTU 828.

I've also noticed that once I've played a few projects that show the problem in one session, I stop getting it for all projects, even the ones that previously exhibited the issue.

So, if you aren't rebooting the machine (easier with a desktop than this laptop), you won't see it.
I filed a defect report, since its now quite repro'able. Hopefully, that will shed some light on it.

Sorry for sounding so negative. Being a laptop, I see it a lot, particularly on the first few projects after booting the machine. It's quite frustrating.

I'll be bumping the RAM another notch, as well as moving to a 7200RPM drive (internal and external). Hopefully, that will help as well.

- zevo
Last edited by inmazevo on Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

inmazevo

Post by inmazevo » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:24 pm

Oops, double post...