drugs, alcohol, and your music

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Which best describes your writing and gigging?

Music is all the high I need
52%
When I write I need a clear head but my gigs are a party and all that entails
20%
Jack Daniels is my producer but Jesus is my stage manager
8%
I ahvent done aNYthi;ng sobar in ovr a dECAde. Fukc!
20%

Total votes: 65

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:36 pm

my friends have an isolation tank.

i visit it every once in a while, it's great.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:37 pm

senator adam wrote:Green tea is good when doing subtle dynamics for mixdowns (eq, compression, etc..)
what if you're mixing a thrash metal track?

actually for anyone stuck mastering thrash metal all day, i recommend cyanide.. it will stop the pain brother.

dom

Post by dom » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:51 pm

sweetjesus wrote:
thats some kinky shit man...

europeans..
nah, afaik it was invented in the US in the 50s.
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

corygilbert

Post by corygilbert » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:00 pm

+1 for the drinking while composing, but sober for mixing/ arranging etc.
I tend not to get too drunk to be productive while working out beats etc. just because I tend to reach for the drink less cause I'm into what I'm doing.
But too much is definately bad for continuing creativity.
Pot tends to make everything sound way to good for me to be able to create something that actually sounds good the next day.
I have noticed that alchohol does tend to make my ears tire more quickly.
I like to set up a bunch of weird routing/ regenerative and feedbacky types of channels, assign a bunch of controllers, sometimes randomly, then turn the screen off, go outside, smoke a cig, drink a few come back and hit record and go nuts for 15 min or so.
Leave it for a while and come back and chop out a few bits, mangle, repeat.
Acid's a lot of fun for this, although coming back and trying to look at the screen is a no go. 8O
But a good sober listen/ mixdown is a must, I'd hate to think people had to be fucked up to "get" what I've done.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:04 pm

dom wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:

europeans..
hehe, so this is the thread you're reading all day, Dom? Think of the kids, my friend!
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

pax

Post by pax » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:13 am

As a friend of mine once said...

Drugs in your twenties are an adventure.
... Once you reach your thirties... it's just a form of self-medication.

I know lots of great musicians who smoke weed daily, but then again I know some other ones that are pathetic and only a few years away from homelessness.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:20 am

One should not need chemical stimulation to make great music, it should come from inspiration within yourself.

My creativity may go into overdrive with alcohol or drugs but the fact is I'm not productive, I can't get it down on a recording in a structured way, so it just sounds like random shit. And random shit might be fun for 5 minutes but gets really tedious after that.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:52 am

when your young, your mad if you take drugs,,
When you get to be my age your probably mad if you don't :wink:
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

dom

Post by dom » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:25 am

Machinate wrote:
dom wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:

europeans..
hehe, so this is the thread you're reading all day, Dom? Think of the kids, my friend!
machinate, old lemur breeder!
yeah, stumbled over the topic as i'm just forcing me to actually do music again.
over the time it gets more and more frustrating if you help the whole world of live users including your favorite artists and producers creating music using your favorite sequencer tool day in and day out - but not finishing any music anymore yourself during the week as you're simply pretty "empty" after work.

also leaving "test mode" in the evening and thinking "music" instead of "software" (bugs, usability, etc) is quite a task.
but yadda yadda, you know that, you did beta testing before ;-)

additional to this luxury problem: on the weekends there's the well-known relationship problem and even more: hey, this is berlin :) weekend belongs to the clubs!

so, getting into the mood for doing music and how to get there is just what i was thinking about the last weeks and hey, drugs, alcohol, floating tanks, dancing strippers in the studio, electro shocks, or all at once: whatever works, i'll do it ;-)

on the one hand i was also thinking about setting up a "private" account for more "private" topics, but on the other hand i would feel in disguise somehow and someone would blow my cover anyway...
should i do a poll now for this question? ;-)

cheers mate,

dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

forge

Post by forge » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:18 am

I've decided to go on Heroin when I'm 80 because, well why not?

but for now I'll chase the green canaboloid Grinch down the rabbit hole now and then if it makes me forget all the daily grind stuff long enough to make a tune or two

unfortunately he keeps stopping to sniff flowers and post on the Ableton forum along the way slowing me down

that bastard Grinch, I'll get him one day

pixelbox

Post by pixelbox » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:53 pm

Homebelly wrote:when your young, your mad if you take drugs,,
When you get to be my age your probably mad if you don't :wink:
High blood pressure and high cholesterol medication doesn't count.

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:22 pm

sober in the studio

(one beer and i loose my focus)

when i play, i start sober and get toasted
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

thefool

Post by thefool » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:02 pm

I completely quit drinking at my keyboard. Now i keep the drinks on the complete right side of my desk, since last time it was weekend and i really felt like getting down with some programming after a harsh week, i sipped my espresso and then dropped the whole QUAD esp. in my microsoft natural ergonomic 4000 keyboard. I quickly pulled the power to the computer (there was coffee everywhere, even dripping on the powerrack), and turned the keyboard upside down.

then i decided to give washing a try and poured water on it and drying with a hairdrier, then i thought "fuck it" and drove out to find they didn't have any ergonomic 4000 kb's home, and bought a logitech + an mx1000 laser mouse (didn't have a good one). This was on a saturday, and i just arrived at the store 5 mins before closing and i'd like to thank the police for not stopping me that day..

About drugs the only thing i do is caffeine pills, and a few of those 100mg ones get you up running. Also the coffee counts, of course, just don't get too much everyday and the effect when taking some big cups one day is bigger. And chokolate milk is allways good. Eh and orange juice! and a lot of other stuff.

I don't know about music making when influenced by drugs or alcohol, but its stupid to let the DEV environments stay open when you hit the city to come back dead drunk and just remember next day that you SAT at the pc but not remember what you did :)

but on the other hand, some days i feel creative i am naturally high and just jumps around ending with complete tracks in my head and then not having anything done at all, which is a real pain. Now i read the complete live manual, bought a lot of stuff, played a lot with live, and now i am much more ready for the next time it goes boom :)

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:35 pm

Vin rouge et herb vert in moderation is a winning combo for me.