real time effects monitoring

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Geraldo

real time effects monitoring

Post by Geraldo » Thu May 23, 2002 3:58 am

I don't know why but I assumed LIVE would monitor effects in real time through the software like Cubase. So far this seems impossible. I can't find anything in the manual, and its not jumping out at me from the software. Can anyone out there monitor effects on a live microphone though Live. You know, "live" effects processing in LIVE. What is this supposed to be, Logic 5?

gareth

live monitoring effects

Post by gareth » Thu May 23, 2002 9:13 am

Hi Geraldo,
Open live and under track 1 select "live in" where it says "none". You also need to select the little microphone icon, (under the headphone icon).All you do then is drag 'n drop your effects

Post by Guest » Thu May 23, 2002 3:05 pm

I have done all that. I can monitor audio in real time, but when I drag an effect onto the track it does not work until after the audio is recorded.

Geraldo

Post by Geraldo » Thu May 23, 2002 9:45 pm

Gareth apparently missed the point.
Does anyone understand what I am talking about regarding live effects monitoring through live? I don't mean monitoring only the audio, I mean audio + effects in real time. The manual only talks about monitoring the input and I want to hear the input through the effects in real time. So far it appears LIVE cannot do this.
Will someone please tell me I am wrong and explain what I am missing?

Link

Post by Link » Fri May 24, 2002 3:15 am

Hi Geraldo.

I've just come on here looking for the answer to the same question, it's got me beat as well. It's dry until recorded here like you are getting.

Oh, I've done this in Logic since 4.7 without problems, assumed this was sort of the point of LIVE.

Funnily enough. using Rewire and using an external host seems to be the answer off the top of my head, but that sort of defeats the object of what we are trying to achieve here :)

Regards

Post by Guest » Fri May 24, 2002 3:39 am

Doh!!! Enable Input Monitoring in the Preferences panel. God that's embarassing lol.

Works fine :)

Songcarverr

Post by Songcarverr » Fri May 24, 2002 7:00 am

I'm looking forward to when monitoring is not stopped by playback on that track (update?)

If you play an instrument and monitor thru fx, say guitar, then as soon as you record a loop and trigger it's playback you loose monitoring.

ABLETON: is there anyway around this now, at this point in time??

cheers,
-K

Tommy Genes

Post by Tommy Genes » Fri May 24, 2002 2:15 pm

I've had an idea about a workaround for this, although I haven't tried it yet.

The button that arms the track for recording can be assigned to a MIDI note. You could set up a 2nd track with the same fx and settings as the first, and then arm it to record/monitor your live input after the first track is in playback.

Or perhaps you could set one track as your live "through" signal that plays constantly, and record your loops on other tracks.

These ideas are a little klugey, as they require multiple key/switch presses, and they require multiple copies of fx plugs to be running, burning up CPU. Although, the use of fx sends might be a way around that last problem.

The whole idea of using Live as a laptop-based version of the Lexicon JamMan or similar units is something that I will be exploring more, time permitting.

-- T. G. --

Post by Guest » Sat May 25, 2002 9:36 pm

Thanks Anonymous,
I love to be wrong! The input monitor button was the thing I was looking for. Now I can compress the holy F*&^ out of my bass! The latency is better than Cubase and Logic 5.x cannot monitor effects real time (as a supported feature) at all! Live rocks in OSX on my Tibook.

tenoayel

Re: real time effects monitoring

Post by tenoayel » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:33 am

DOes this apply to Live 8 Lite as well? As i can't find that in the preferences which will enable live monitoring...

ChiefNugget

Re: real time effects monitoring

Post by ChiefNugget » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:40 pm

should apply to the live 8 lite version also. i believe the fundamental audio routing capabilities are the same across all versions. to monitor effects on a live audio input in real-time (as close as possible with your rig's latency), just set monitor to "in" instead of "auto".
I need a baby sit my boys and work the day job plug-in.