Reaktor or Massive?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:47 pm

I've got a copy of Reaktor that I could unload if you are interested.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:52 pm

Machinate wrote:
inmazevo wrote:Komplete Synths (MASSIVE, ABSYNTH 4, FM8, and PRO-53) - $399
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KompSynthBun
Now THAT is a sweet bundle, for sure! They could even keep pro-53 and it would still be a killer deal. SOLD!
Hey Machinate...
YES i know there are Amazing Gizmos in there...
Just my own personal thing I guess...
Working with Reaktor was very interesting...
Then I realized the day was over
and I hadnt managed to do anything useful with it...
( A lot of cool stuff yes!... but no musica...)
again ... I would recommend it because it is excellent!
Just didnt click well with me...

and that bundle does look sick...
I own pro53 ...
been contemplating for ages the repurchase of Absynth...
This could very well be the opportunity...

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:04 pm

Poster wrote:
electrolee wrote:Thanks for all the great responses guys...

Would Reaktor be the better option if you wanted to do big evolving granular dirty soundscapes say in the vein of umm Trent Reznor and Ben Frost etc?

Still struggling to decide....
granular is Reaktor's middle name :wink:

as far as I know Massive is a wavetable synth that can do a little granularity on the side..

Reaktor has very powerful grain engines..
Trent Uses Reaktor Plenty... (I think...)...

But if you want granular both Reaktor and ABSYNTH do the job...
Absynth also has a sample library specifically for that and 'grain sync' mode....

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:53 pm

3dot... wrote:Absynth also has a sample library specifically for that and 'grain sync' mode....
Sync granular mode isn't for use with samples, though- it's for use with user or factory waves. The only plugin I'm aware of that uses a sync granular implementation on actual samples instead of extracted harmonics is Symptohm : Melohman.

ew

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:32 pm

ewistrand wrote:
3dot... wrote:Absynth also has a sample library specifically for that and 'grain sync' mode....
Sync granular mode isn't for use with samples, though- it's for use with user or factory waves. The only plugin I'm aware of that uses a sync granular implementation on actual samples instead of extracted harmonics is Symptohm : Melohman.

ew
to my best knowledge setting osc to 'granular' enables you to load a wav file
if I'm wrong I stand corrected...

from NI site :

-"ABSYNTH 4 also includes a small yet powerful sample library consisting of over 400 samples, all especially created to be used with ABSYNTH'S sample or granular mode."

-"The emhasis of the library is on variety and efficiency: just set up a preset with the oscillator set to granular or sample mode and select a sample from the library."

-"An additional oscillator module, the "Sync Granular mode", produces particularly organic sounds."

-"The sensational wave morphing feature enables the individual oscillators in the channels to blend different waveforms into one another, exponentially increasing ABSYNTH's sonic potential."

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:36 pm

'sync granular' is a new feature...
and i sold absynth when it was v2

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:57 pm

sorry, but the granular stuff in Absynth sucks. A lot. The rest of the unit is great though - you buy absynth for its envelopes and effects - that stuff will rock your socks off...
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:35 pm

3dot... wrote:
ewistrand wrote:

ew
to my best knowledge setting osc to 'granular' enables you to load a wav file
if I'm wrong I stand corrected...

from NI site :

-"ABSYNTH 4 also includes a small yet powerful sample library consisting of over 400 samples, all especially created to be used with ABSYNTH'S sample or granular mode."

-"The emhasis of the library is on variety and efficiency: just set up a preset with the oscillator set to granular or sample mode and select a sample from the library."

-"An additional oscillator module, the "Sync Granular mode", produces particularly organic sounds."

-"The sensational wave morphing feature enables the individual oscillators in the channels to blend different waveforms into one another, exponentially increasing ABSYNTH's sonic potential."
You're correct- Absynth does have a granular sample mode. However, sync granular mode uses waveforms instead of samples.

Your Absynth forum moderator,
ew

Thinktanx

Post by Thinktanx » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:43 am

Poster wrote:granular is Reaktor's middle name :wink:
Can you point me in the direction of some particular ensembles? Just names will do, no links required or anything like that.

Thanks in advance.
Machinedrum SPS-1 UW MkII, Monomachine SFX-6
Moog Voyager Signature Edition
Virus TI Polar
Live 8, Operator, Sampler
Reaktor 5, Massive, FM8, Sound Toys Bundle
Pro Tools 7.4
Mac G5 Dual 2.5 GHz
Macbook Pro 15-in. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:09 pm

Thinktanx

Post by Thinktanx » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:57 pm

Machinate wrote:http://www.native-instruments.com/index ... rs&filt=39

most of these are awesome...
Thanks a ton, Machinate!

You know the thing I can never figure out about the Reaktor library is why everything is rated so poorly. What's up with that?
Machinedrum SPS-1 UW MkII, Monomachine SFX-6
Moog Voyager Signature Edition
Virus TI Polar
Live 8, Operator, Sampler
Reaktor 5, Massive, FM8, Sound Toys Bundle
Pro Tools 7.4
Mac G5 Dual 2.5 GHz
Macbook Pro 15-in. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:05 pm

Thinktanx wrote: You know the thing I can never figure out about the Reaktor library is why everything is rated so poorly. What's up with that?
Yeah it's weird, it's because they divide the ranking by the number of times it is downloaded. Because lots of people download but then fail to rank it drags the ratings down.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:33 pm

The ratings system on there is so arcane, it's unbelievable. Still it's a pretty good bet that the ones on top of the list are pretty cool.. other than that the Reaktor forum is always good for a "what's the best X"
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

electrolee

Post by electrolee » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:38 am

Just incase anybody is wondering which synth I bought after so many thoughful responses.

I just purchased a copy of Massive from ebay for a low $160- In box brand new sealed!

Just like to say thanks for the reponses and advice regarding to two above mentioned synths. I have been a Live 6 user for a little over two months now and have really been enjoying being a part of this forum and the community that goes along with it.

Cheers.