Live 7 announced!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:23 pm

Martyn wrote:Damn! missed the beta again.

I'm liking the fold out channels in the drum rack, can you do that with any channel in the mixer?

Any improvements/alterations to the way Live deals with groove and swing?

Some nice improvements in there, finally, sidechaining!!

any instrument rack folds out into an "in-line mixer", all the sub racks are represented by further fold outs. You can drag the inline channels about to re-structure them -like a kind of heirachic view of the rack.

there aren;t really any improvements to swing and groove

sidechaining has some freak benefits - you can route in a modular way by putting the side-chainable devices into 'monitor' mode and thereby taking the selected 'other' audio and bringing it into the rack.
even if that source is itself !

that means you now can route a rack back into itself!
;)

make your own looper for example :D
Last edited by Angstrom on Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laird

Post by laird » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:23 pm

Angstrom wrote:clip crossfading won't be added in this release, it's a big change under the hood.
Well then I guess I wont go start a "Wishlist For Live 8" thread just yet ;)

smutek

Post by smutek » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:27 pm

rbmonosylabik wrote:
smutek wrote:I've been deciding whether or not to buy Logic, this announcement just helped me make up my mind.
and what's the veredict?
I'm going to get the Boxed upgrade to the "Ableton Suite". Comes to the same price as Logic Studio for me. Since I already own operator the price for me is $499 US to upgrade from version 5 to the boxed version of the Ableton Suite.

I'm not a professional user, just an avid hobbyist, so my rationale is more simplistic maybe. First and foremost is the fact that I can not justify the purchase of both, so for me it is either one or the other. If there had been no Ableton announcement within the next two months I would have bought Logic. I would have still used Ableton, but most likely would have stayed on version 5 for quite some time.

Also, I have tried Logic. I still think it is an amazing deal, plus the synths sound fantastic, but if I go with Logic I also have to learn a new program. I was willing to do that, but ultimately, since I am not using any of this software in a professional capacity I have no reason to do so other than just wanting to try something new.

I'm already fairly proficient with Ableton and enoy using it. This announcement and the price point for the full boxed "suite" upgrade is a good enough deal for me and thus has persuaded me to upgrade Ableton rather than buy Logic.

I am a little bothered that there was no mention of simple wacom support as I would love to be able to use my tablet when arranging, but that omission isn't going to deter me.

:wink:

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:29 pm

Angstrom wrote: sidechaining has some freak benefits - you can route in a modular way by putting the side-chainable devices into 'monitor' mode and thereby taking the selected 'other' audio and bringing it into the rack.

;)

make your own looper for example :D
:!: Sweet!! I feel a dub coming on...

blaugruen7

Post by blaugruen7 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:37 pm

Angstrom wrote:yes, Electric is a mutated version of LoungeLizard3
the onboard effects are replaced by Lives effects - the presets are the same.

clip crossfading won't be added in this release, it's a big change under the hood.
angstrom,
are there more than 128 plugin parameters recordable?

blaugruen7

Post by blaugruen7 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:41 pm

ok, i answer it from another thread.

no more than 128 plugin parameters!

bynoe

Post by bynoe » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:51 pm

Drum racks are absolutely amazing. Cant say too much more because im having so much fun with them. So many possibilities.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:58 pm

damn...

wow

they gave us everything we wanted
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Kage

Post by Kage » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:05 pm

Is there new warp modes? Better sounding?

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:10 pm

Holy cat fucking poop shit.
Drum Racks look fucking amazing.
Wow.

axou

Post by axou » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:11 pm

any beta tester knows if we can now save midi mappings inside a rack, so we don't have to remap everything each time it's imported in a new project ?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:12 pm

axou wrote:any beta tester knows if we can now save midi mappings inside a rack, so we don't have to remap everything each time it's imported in a new project ?
no, midi mappings belong to the project

laird

Post by laird » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:16 pm

Angstrom wrote: sidechaining has some freak benefits - you can route in a modular way by putting the side-chainable devices into 'monitor' mode and thereby taking the selected 'other' audio and bringing it into the rack.

;)
So if an effect in a rack can accept two inputs... would there be any way to mix between input A and input B... say if we wanted to, oh i don't know, send two audio sources to one effects rack and crossfade between the 2 audio sources?

Or does the monitor function only allow on/off type switching?

Using a filter sweep, rather than a volume sweep, as a crossfading mechanism might be fun to have on hand.

axou

Post by axou » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:21 pm

Angstrom wrote:
axou wrote:any beta tester knows if we can now save midi mappings inside a rack, so we don't have to remap everything each time it's imported in a new project ?
no, midi mappings belong to the project
thx, too bad for my lemur

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:24 pm

laird wrote:

;)
So if an effect in a rack can accept two inputs... would there be any way to mix between input A and input B... say if we wanted to, oh i don't know, send two audio sources to one effects rack and crossfade between the 2 audio sources?

Or does the monitor function only allow on/off type switching?

Using a filter sweep, rather than a volume sweep, as a crossfading mechanism might be fun to have on hand.
well, if you got two compressors on a rack chain each, with each one takings side chain from a different source - and then crossfaded those chains via chain select mapped to a macro ... does that answer your question?