Live 7 announced!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
blaugruen7

Post by blaugruen7 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:27 am

frahnque wrote:CRY! Why was there no mail? Bah, I missed the damned beta and my life is ruined. Now I cannot make music for a year (yes it's a joke) :)

Anyways, I'm really miserable for missing out on the beta round. Send out new ones! ;)
it looks to me that the first beta round was only 4 hours long.

frahnque

Post by frahnque » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:35 am

Speaking of beta. What was the deal with Cycling 74?
Live 8.1 Suite + M4L and C'74 MAX5
Macbook Air 13", 4 Gb Ram - Lion
Thinkpad W510 Core i7 720-QM, 8 Gb Ram - Win7 64-bit

Soundcloud-> http://soundcloud.com/frank-bolero

philipc

Post by philipc » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:37 am

rbmonosylabik wrote:
philipc wrote:
djadonis206 wrote:damn...

wow

they gave us everything we wanted
I disagree! No parameter modulation like LFOs or anything like that. I will probably upgrade eventually but not any time soon. Only one or two of the features/fixes are useful to me.

That is of course unless Live now allows plugins to send MIDI?......(CC data etc).....
Maybe you just didn't bitch and moan hard enough :roll:
If the updates are useful to other people then thats great, they just aren't particularly useful to me.

And that was a genuine question by the way. They could have fixed that flaw, i've no way of knowing!

Eraldo Bernocchi

Post by Eraldo Bernocchi » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:12 am

first of all make version 6 work properly and then think eventually
to v 7...this would improve your profile dear abletoners...!!

using live since v.1, fighting bugs since v.4. nice job!

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:26 am

Well, well. After all those threads about Lives audio engine, who'd have thought that would be top of the list of the improvements. Not sure what kind of difference 64 bit audio will make (except make freeze files fecking massive), but hat least it should stop people worrying about the quality and let them concentrate on their music.

Looks like they've been listening to feature requests as well. Obviously everyone's going to have a few wishes which didn't make it, but they can't do everything, so I'm not going to worry about it. I'd have liked the track folders most, but with the new drum racks, at least the percussion can all be wrapped up nicely. That'll do me fine.

Ableton suite is a good move for them if they want to attract new customers. With all this talk about logic etc, the suite looks like a fairly serious amount of content.

And for someone who couldn't justify the cost of operator or sampler, 299 euros for the upgrade with those plus three new instruments and electronic drum pack is looking pretty damn good. Might even go for the box. Get in.

All in all, looks pretty good. Certainly more than I'd have dared hope for. Nice job Abes.

OK, Beta testers: You have a job to do, put the damn thing through it's paces. I'll be expecting a flawless release when I come to part with my hard earned cash.

stutter

Post by stutter » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:35 am

philipc wrote: That is of course unless Live now allows plugins to send MIDI?......(CC data etc).....
Better support for midi plugs from other developers? Please.
Any new midi plugs? (guess not)

any new ways of drawing automation curves?

the drum racks look cool. Lots of things that were missing from Ableton and available elsewhere look like they've been integrated really nicely there, in Ableton's very usable style. I just bought a padkontrol a couple of days ago too. Haha. Don't know why I never thought of using scale plug-ins to re-arrange the midi for rexed slices until I watched that video. Learned a new trick. Just being able to drag a rex into Live, cut out the slices you want, and drag them into a drum rack would really streamline that process and make it seem a lot more natural.

I'm a little surprised the spectrum analyzer is a big deal, surely everyone has Voxengo Span? Must be missing something.

rydan

Post by rydan » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:06 am

Step input in midi editors?

Naming of inputs and outputs?

Pleeease????

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:24 am

rbmonosylabik wrote:
philipc wrote:
djadonis206 wrote:damn...

wow

they gave us everything we wanted
I disagree! No parameter modulation like LFOs or anything like that. I will probably upgrade eventually but not any time soon. Only one or two of the features/fixes are useful to me.

That is of course unless Live now allows plugins to send MIDI?......(CC data etc).....
Maybe you just didn't bitch and moan hard enough :roll:
... doesn't work...

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:28 am

rydan wrote: Naming of inputs and outputs?
That would be SOOO nice, at least show what the devices themselves call their I/O.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

rozling

Post by rozling » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:35 am

rydan wrote:Step input in midi editors?

Naming of inputs and outputs?

Pleeease????
Nope, sorry. Your question did lead me to a new button though in the MIDI prefs, which selects midi 'port type' & you have an option for MME or Directmusic. I have no idea what that means.

Freekster

Post by Freekster » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:43 am

Expensive as hell compared to new Logic.
Ableton suite EUR 649/USD 799 and Logic 8 is 499e with TONS of synths and effects that beat in quality most of the third-party ones.

This is the first Live upgrade that i will NOT buy. There is nothing new on the performance side that would make this any better than Live 6. Audio quality is the only interresting thing but charging paying users for getting proper audioquality that should have been there since v1 is total ripoff to me.

I vote with my wallet. :twisted:
Studio: Macbook Pro, Live 8 Suite, Plugins, Apple Logic Pro, MicroKONTROL, Nocturn, Motu UltraLite, iPad B Truth monitors.
Stage: MBP, Live, MicroKONTROL, iPad, UltraLite.

New EP out as free download: http://music.bubblescum.com
Bubble Scum Homepage
Bubble Scum Facebook

shurik

Post by shurik » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:07 pm

shit, I bought the live 6 upgrade at the 28.09.!!!!!!!!!!!

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:20 pm

andydes wrote: Not sure what kind of difference 64 bit audio will make (except make freeze files fecking massive), but hat least it should stop people worrying about the quality and let them concentrate on their music.

It will make zero difference to audio quality its just another PR sales tact that all daw manufacturers are using. When i see posts from users hailing the greatness of the new 64bit whatever its hilarious because they wouldnt be able to tell the difference between an mp3 and a 24 bit wav file. Seriously NO ONE using any daw can say or has said (except for idiots with no clue) my daw sounds better with the new thingy thing 64bit.
This feature is spin and PR nothing more
There was never anything wrong with lives audio quality period. Noobs got confused with warping audio and then came on to the forum demanding 64bit because their audio doesnt sound good :roll: And despite the hundreds of requests from veteran users for safe/group solos for a number of years ableton decided that appealing to noobs under the age of 20 and being able to put 64BIT on the box is much more important than something that is musically (when mixing) a must have. Hey I worked in advertsing for years so I know the score
HA HA HA :twisted:

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:23 pm

mercyplease wrote:
andydes wrote: Not sure what kind of difference 64 bit audio will make (except make freeze files fecking massive), but hat least it should stop people worrying about the quality and let them concentrate on their music.

It will make zero difference to audio quality its just another PR sales tact that all daw manufacturers are using. When i see posts from users hailing the greatness of the new 64bit whatever its hilarious because they wouldnt be able to tell the difference between an mp3 and a 24 bit wav file. Seriously NO ONE using any daw can say or has said (except for idiots with no clue) my daw sounds better with the new thingy thing 64bit.
There was never anything wrong with lives audio quality period. Noobs got confused with warping audio and then came on to the forum demanding 64bit because their audio doesnt sound good :roll: And despite the hundreds of requests from veteran users for safe/group solos for a number of years ableton decided that appealing to noobs under the age of 20 and being able to put 64BIT on the box is much more important than something that is musically (when mixing) a must have. Hey I worked in advertsing for years so I know the score
i agree with you that i didn't notice a difference in sound quality. at least, nothing obvious.

but what do you mean by safe/group solos?
there's been some improvements on this topic...

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:33 pm

mercyplease wrote:

There was never anything wrong with lives audio quality period. Noobs got confused with warping audio and then came on to the forum demanding 64bit because their audio doesnt sound good :roll: And despite the hundreds of requests from veteran users for safe/group solos for a number of years ableton decided that appealing to noobs under the age of 20 and being able to put 64BIT on the box is much more important than something that is musically (when mixing) a must have. Hey I worked in advertising for years so I know the score
I agree that lives audio quality was good enough...
But Robert himself said it was far from perfect...
and live was never widely perceived for the BEAST that it is...
so yeah ...theres PR involved...
but you're wrong...
people who cant tell the difference between 24bit wavs and 16bit mp3s soundwise...(providing they have the same recorded material)....
Shouldn't be in the business of mixing audio.period.
:wink: