On Behalf of All the Bread in the World Today......Thankyou

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
deva

Post by deva » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:51 pm

What remains to be seen is how well the slicer maps to the drum rack. My first attempts did not give results I am happy with. Could well be user error though...

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:56 pm

deva wrote:What remains to be seen is how well the slicer maps to the drum rack. My first attempts did not give results I am happy with. Could well be user error though...
how were you going about the slicing, were you using 'slice by warpmarkers' or the other slice choice, and how complicated was the audio you were slicing
I hope it can do very well with complicated audio.
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:58 pm

there are basically two kinds of options in there: different subdiv.s of a bar, or warpmarker. If your track is warpmarkered on each beat (or is a properly done rex file) you can slice very complicated stuff quite smoothly.

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:11 am

oh that sounds beautiful, i'm looking forward to any comparisons you cats that know what slicing is about can share.

my head is just exploding with ideas right now, I'm not able to try it out yet but it looks from the video like they might have just done it, I don't want to jump the gun but it looks like i'm staring at my creative nirvana.
from the looks of it the only thing coming close to this is fxpansions Guru, but they both are shitting all over battery at this point.

8O I know what's missing, where's the all the talk about the audio editing with this slicer?...............you can't have a sick slicer without sick audio editing, what about that front?

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:14 am

I'm using juicepack 2.0 for editing right now 'EDISON' is the shit!, will i be retiring edison or at least does it allow drag n drop from edison to Live and back from Live to edison now?...... in live 6 you can't do that. please say yes to any of these questions :D

deva

Post by deva » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:19 am

stale bread wrote:
deva wrote:What remains to be seen is how well the slicer maps to the drum rack. My first attempts did not give results I am happy with. Could well be user error though...
how were you going about the slicing, were you using 'slice by warpmarkers' or the other slice choice, and how complicated was the audio you were slicing
I hope it can do very well with complicated audio.
you have to set warp markers manually... I just assumed there would be some sort of beat detection that would set warp markers more or less accurately... if there is no groove, then you can use 1/8th or 1/16th etc

Then it maps every warp marker to a separate chain and simpler. I guess I also assumed it would have some optional means of detecting if it were the kick drum and not create 4 chains for 4 kicks. So I would manually consolidate 32 chains down to 6 chains for this loop...

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:25 am

deva wrote: you have to set warp markers manually... I just assumed there would be some sort of beat detection that would set warp markers more or less accurately... if there is no groove, then you can use 1/8th or 1/16th etc

Then it maps every warp marker to a separate chain and simpler. I guess I also assumed it would have some optional means of detecting if it were the kick drum and not create 4 chains for 4 kicks
those are great insights, you might want to mention those to the abes i'm a little suprised about the last one, but if we were't slicing drums maybe we'd want it that way, it would be nice if there was an option. good one deva

deva

Post by deva » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:34 am

stale bread wrote:
8O I know what's missing, where's the all the talk about the audio editing with this slicer?...............you can't have a sick slicer without sick audio editing, what about that front?

What do you mean by audio editing?

each slice is in a simpler or sampler (your choice apparently) and can have its own chain of effects. So you can manipulate the audio extensively... obviously

no destructive editing, and each slice has the same clip in it, with its own start end points

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:46 am

deva wrote:
stale bread wrote:

each slice is in a simpler or sampler (your choice apparently) and can have its own chain of effects. So you can manipulate the audio extensively... obviously

no destructive editing, and each slice has the same clip in it, with its own start end points
still excited getting my head around this, so how would one go about printing effects, would you have to drag samples out to their own tracks and freeze them, ?...

by the way does the freeze still double the amount of data?

deva

Post by deva » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:47 am

stale bread wrote:
deva wrote: you have to set warp markers manually... I just assumed there would be some sort of beat detection that would set warp markers more or less accurately... if there is no groove, then you can use 1/8th or 1/16th etc

Then it maps every warp marker to a separate chain and simpler. I guess I also assumed it would have some optional means of detecting if it were the kick drum and not create 4 chains for 4 kicks
those are great insights, you might want to mention those to the abes i'm a little suprised about the last one, but if we were't slicing drums maybe we'd want it that way, it would be nice if there was an option. good one deva
It is clumsy with a drum loop to have to consolidate 32 chains down to 6-8 (or whatever number of discreet hits/sounds there are). Gotta move the midi notes down being careful to keep the groove and not have them snap to grid. Then ya gotta go delete the superfluous chains. Not sure how well that could be automated...

And yeah, for something melodic I might want all those individual chains.

deva

Post by deva » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:57 am

stale bread wrote:
deva wrote:
stale bread wrote:

still excited getting my head around this, so how would one go about printing effects, would you have to drag samples out to their own tracks and freeze them, ?...

by the way does the freeze still double the amount of data?
to print it, drag it off to its own track yeah... it auto creates a new drum rack and has the macros auto mapped to the volume envelope, and to the sample start/stop/loop etc - then freeze after doing whatever you want to it, then drag the audio back into the original pad

deva

Post by deva » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:05 am

you can alt drag a pad into its own track and that makes a copy and leaves the original

you can also do anything with the rack that you can with any rack. for example, you can put midi effects like an arp before an individual slice and control that with a macro for some realtime mayhem

deva

Post by deva » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:10 am

oh, the original slice also maps the macro controls to sample start/loop and the volume envelope controls (for all the slices) so you can play around with that ... rather sweet

condra

Post by condra » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:13 am

Rogue Scrunt wrote:anybody want a good deal on Phatmatik Pro?
:lol:

deva

Post by deva » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:21 am

There are choke groups in the drum rack

Also, it would be sweet if you could have an option to slice a clip into an already sliced rack in velocity layers or with chain fading (imagine using the modwheel to switch between sliced grooves!)