Live 7's Missing Features?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dave dominey

Post by dave dominey » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:46 am

a midi assignable delete button

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:28 am

Angstrom wrote:
Kodama wrote:I wish the external instrument and effect plugs could pull internally to route audio within Live ( I mean, you could do it with 3rd party audio routing software).
you can sort of route audio by using the 'monitor' function of compressor, that has it's own routing you see. You can suck audio in from around the app and into a rack chain.
It's a hack, and not the best , but it's what we have.

That's cool!

I just thought of - LFO to osc volume (not just pitch) in operator, actually Operator needs a mod matrix all around.
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

poshook

Post by poshook » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:03 am

what about GROUPS? only for Drum Rack?
what about SOLO mode for multichannel instruments - steel need to press two solo buttons to hear particular channel? :cry:

pat the dog

Post by pat the dog » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:16 am

no alias clips unfortunately. would have been especially great if a clip in arrange was an "instance" of a clip in session - so if the session clip is edited, the corresponding clip in arrange is updated.

has anyone found if there's a hotkey or midi control for "arm current track" or an "auto arm track" option so that selecting a track automatically arm's it for input/recording? (like in logic)

would have liked to see folder tracks too.

and recording of controllers into session clips.

that drum rack looks great though. i think that's going to be the shining star in this release.

philipc

Post by philipc » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:28 am

Kodama wrote:
Angstrom wrote:
Kodama wrote:I wish the external instrument and effect plugs could pull internally to route audio within Live ( I mean, you could do it with 3rd party audio routing software).
you can sort of route audio by using the 'monitor' function of compressor, that has it's own routing you see. You can suck audio in from around the app and into a rack chain.

That's cool!

I just thought of - LFO to osc volume (not just pitch) in operator, actually Operator needs a mod matrix all around.
Live needs a mod matrix all around!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:43 am

poshook wrote:what about GROUPS? only for Drum Rack?
what about SOLO mode for multichannel instruments - steel need to press two solo buttons to hear particular channel? :cry:
Group solo has been implemented i think.

klangsulfat

Post by klangsulfat » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:52 am

Vocoder

philipc

Post by philipc » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:57 am

Angstrom wrote:
Should be easy enough to add a Utility plugin for this purpose shouldn't it? Does the compressor use much system resources if you're just using it as rerouting plug?
dave dominey wrote:a midi assignable delete button
Totally! Very important (and very simple) request for a lot of people.
Thomas Alker wrote:Vocoder
This is the one isntrument i'd buy. Therse a gap in the market now that Vokator is discontinued. The Eiosis vocoder looks awesome but its dongled which is a bit bad for an instrument that tends to be used live.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:17 am

alas, groups only for Drum Tracks.
from the Abes:

"Grouping of tracks is high on our list of things to do for a future Live version, but it's not going to be in Live 7. We are pretty confident that it will be possible to design this feature in a way so that things are not getting chaotic; however, doing this thoroughly takes more time than we had for Live 7."

:?

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:34 am

The one feature I really hoped was coming...

Warping/autowarping a track with a variable tempo, storing the variable tempo as part of the clip, and that tempo controlling the master tempo in session view when the clip is launched.

Then again, as Live becomes more 'DAW' and less 'live', I'm not surprised.

Perhaps a name change is in order. Ableton DAW, anyone?

headquest

Post by headquest » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:49 am

The number 1 improvement I hoped for was auto-crossdaing in the Arrangment, combined with fade handels for each audio clip in the arrangement so that you can quickly have a (curved) fade in.

That's been in every major DAW for years, and is even in budget DAWs like Tracktion, Reaper etc. For audio tracking it's just a basic must-have in my view, and keeps Live from being a serious DAW for audio recording.

Still a great creative environment for sure... but the full package costs more than Logic, Samplitude, Cubase, etc now. So it's kinda irritating that it can't compare with them even in some quite basic DAW areas.

Others include:

MIDI editing stuff
Full screen view with seperate velocity and MIDI CC change lanes
Automation of all VST parameters
Note colours
MIDI groove quantise
Better quantising in general
CC automation recoring in Session View
Razor tool
Better GM integration (e.g. for file import export compatibility)

(and don't forget other pacakges at this price point tend to include a List Editor and Notation editor too :wink:)

Audio stuff
Comping/take management
Curved/splined automation
normalise files
destructive audio effecting and editing
Pro-quality timestretching (e.g. Radius)

Mixing Tools
Track folders
Dual Screen support
5.1 mixing

It may be some of this stuff has been added and I missed it in the announcement - maybe Machinate or somebody could confirm?

Also hosting VSTs when in Rewire slave mode (possible in fruityloops, project 5, ACID) is a big deal for some of us: has that been added?

All in all, I think Live 7 looks fantastic... but the price is looking VERY steep for what it is compared to the other big players now. I don't just use a DAW - I recommend it to others (including students and struggling musicians) - Live 7 is possibly a cost too high for many at this point. :(
Last edited by headquest on Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:53 am

If Ableton have not implemented proper group track controls then its game over for me and this software. I have waited now since version 2 for this crucial feature and they have been asked for this feature probably more than any other feature. I wil not understand the thinking of this company if they have not done what every other daw has in inception. Howcan one mix without being totally and constantly distracted if you have to play hunt the channel. :roll:

:twisted:
HA HA HA :twisted:

Goran@Irrupt

Post by Goran@Irrupt » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:56 am

headquest wrote:The number 1 improvement I hoped for was auto-crossdaing in the Arrangment, combined with fade handels for each audio clip in the arrangement so that you can quickly have a (curved) fade in.
that was my thought exactly.
headquest wrote:Others include:

MIDI editing stuff
Full screen view with seperate velocity and MIDI CC change lanes
Automation of all VST parameters
Note colours
MIDI groove quantise
Better quantising in general
CC automation recoring in Session View
Razor tool
Better GM integration (e.g. for file import export compatibility)

Audio stuff
Comping/take management
Curved/splined automation
normalise files
destructive audio effecting and editing
Pro-quality timestretching (e.g. Radius)

Mixing Tools
Track folders
Dual Screen support
5.1 mixing
you're reading my mind man. :?

w :!:
http://www.irrupt.com ? Irrupt Studios / A&R

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:04 am

garyboozy wrote:
alas, groups only for Drum Tracks.
from the Abes:

"Grouping of tracks is high on our list of things to do for a future Live version, but it's not going to be in Live 7. We are pretty confident that it will be possible to design this feature in a way so that things are not getting chaotic; however, doing this thoroughly takes more time than we had for Live 7."

:?

Im verty much hoping you are wrong but if your not this is incredibly sad and completely short sighted. I have always maintained this is not a difficult feature to implement and thought that because its not a juicy feature for PR sales the urgency to add the feature has never been there. I think its been a case of if we have time after finishing adding in features like soft synths.
After five years with this software it genuinely breaks my heart to think this company have ignored again one of the top 3 most requested features since version 2.
HA HA HA :twisted:

posssu

Post by posssu » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:18 am

mercyplease, I agree with you completely on both of the missing features. It's quite unbelievable that neither of those is in Live 7. Foldering tracks would be worth the upgrade alone when recording anything bigger than 20 tracks.

Sucks big time. Now when they stated it won't be in Live 7. As long as Live 7 is beta, there is still hope for the group soloing though.
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live