Live 7's Missing Features?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
BigBuddha
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:37 pm
Location: Germany

Post by BigBuddha » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:21 am

I'm (again) a little disappointed about the forthcoming Update. Just think about only of Live 7 and not the instruments etc. you can buy for money.

Why there is no/improved:

- GROOVE QUANTIZATION
- BEZIER CURVES
- CROSSFADES
- TRACK FOLDERS

All these are no special features some users would like to have in Live. These are MAIN FEATURES of any DAW.

Just have a look on Apples new Logic 8 and its price and what you get for.

- superb GROOVE AUNTIZATION possibillities
- BEZIER CURVES
- CROSSFADES
- TRACK FOLDERS
- CONVOLUTION REVERB for free
- DELAY DESIGNER for free
- HUGE SAMPLE LIBRARY for free

!!!

headquest
Posts: 1191
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:32 am
Location: UK

Post by headquest » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:28 am

Exactly. Ableton will no doubt keep their niche market with the electro experimentalists, stage musicians and DJs... but I think they have overplayed their hand on pricing.

If this is the release with which they hope to conquer the DAW market, I think they have completely missed a beat. Logic 8, Sonar 7, Audition 3, Reaper 2, etc are going to crucify this release - and the single biggest reason is going to be the cost.


$$$$
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

Tarekith
Posts: 17600
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Ableton Forum Administrator
Contact:

Post by Tarekith » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:30 am

Is the clip save button now available in multi-clip selections?

ciw
Posts: 689
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:36 pm
Location: Cardiff, UK

Post by ciw » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:34 am

garyboozy wrote:
poshook wrote:what about GROUPS? only for Drum Rack?
alas, groups only for Drum Tracks.
from the Abes:

"Grouping of tracks is high on our list of things to do for a future Live version, but it's not going to be in Live 7. We are pretty confident that it will be possible to design this feature in a way so that things are not getting chaotic; however, doing this thoroughly takes more time than we had for Live 7."

:?
+1

About the only feature that would have interested me. Besides the multiple automation lines that is.

alvaro
Posts: 325
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:01 pm
Location: Spain
Contact:

Post by alvaro » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:38 am

There's some great improvements there, but ironically two of the most i was missing since very long time, are not in Live 7:

1. Dual screen support / reorganizable views
2. Multi-take track recording (Arrangement view)
Image

Oscar F
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Post by Oscar F » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:41 am

BigBuddha wrote:I'm (again) a little disappointed about the forthcoming Update. Just think about only of Live 7 and not the instruments etc. you can buy for money.

Why there is no/improved:

- GROOVE QUANTIZATION
- BEZIER CURVES
- CROSSFADES
- TRACK FOLDERS

All these are no special features some users would like to have in Live. These are MAIN FEATURES of any DAW.

Just have a look on Apples new Logic 8 and its price and what you get for.

- superb GROOVE AUNTIZATION possibillities
- BEZIER CURVES
- CROSSFADES
- TRACK FOLDERS
- CONVOLUTION REVERB for free
- DELAY DESIGNER for free
- HUGE SAMPLE LIBRARY for free


!!!

You didn't mention improved sampler, synth, compressor oh and Soudtrack Pro, and Mainstage , nor the drag and drop functionality of drum programs in Ultrabeat or the fact that it now loads ESX drum maps etc etc 8O .
Somewhere between a rock and a hard place is actually nowhere.

3dot...
Posts: 9996
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm

Post by 3dot... » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:10 pm

headquest wrote:Exactly. Ableton will no doubt keep their niche market with the electro experimentalists, stage musicians and DJs... but I think they have overplayed their hand on pricing.

If this is the release with which they hope to conquer the DAW market, I think they have completely missed a beat. Logic 8, Sonar 7, Audition 3, Reaper 2, etc are going to crucify this release - and the single biggest reason is going to be the cost.


$$$$
... how do I end up spending almost 400$ every year...
JUST to upgrade???
After I had already bought the SW fully priced???

I love this software... but ... what gives?

I dont remember anyone asking for 'physical modeling' devices...
(which are really AAS modules with ableton GUI...)
and I certainly don't remember anyone asking for 'orchestral brass' type stuff...
which also isnt abletons...
and all this talk about a collab. with C74...
Which we dont even know how will affect us as live users....?
(are we looking at an additional 850$ to enjoy this 'new product'?)
(What the HECK is... the new product...)
in the meantime... no OSC directly supported...
only 8 macros per rack, no more than 128 param.. ,
no flexibilty with the GUI...
The yearly RANT...

....And I missed the Beta ...

:x

BDSS
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:35 pm
Location: UK / Italy
Contact:

Post by BDSS » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:30 pm

Still no groove function?! Last straw for me. And why do they keep adding these shitty, overpriced drum machines/synthesizers?
What the hell is Ableton? A DJ too, a DAW or a production station? It's certainly not all three.

forge
Posts: 17422
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:47 am
Location: Queensland, AU
Contact:

Post by forge » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:35 pm

3dot... wrote:
headquest wrote:Exactly. Ableton will no doubt keep their niche market with the electro experimentalists, stage musicians and DJs... but I think they have overplayed their hand on pricing.

If this is the release with which they hope to conquer the DAW market, I think they have completely missed a beat. Logic 8, Sonar 7, Audition 3, Reaper 2, etc are going to crucify this release - and the single biggest reason is going to be the cost.


$$$$
... how do I end up spending almost 400$ every year...
JUST to upgrade???
After I had already bought the SW fully priced???

I love this software... but ... what gives?

I dont remember anyone asking for 'physical modeling' devices...
(which are really AAS modules with ableton GUI...)
and I certainly don't remember anyone asking for 'orchestral brass' type stuff...
which also isnt abletons...
and all this talk about a collab. with C74...
Which we dont even know how will affect us as live users....?
(are we looking at an additional 850$ to enjoy this 'new product'?)
(What the HECK is... the new product...)
in the meantime... no OSC directly supported...
only 8 macros per rack, no more than 128 param.. ,
no flexibilty with the GUI...
The yearly RANT...

....And I missed the Beta ...

:x
all the extra things are just that - extra

the upgrade for just Live 7 is $119 - and there's plenty in it for that

it's actually better that they used the AAS ones because it means they didnt need to put as much of their own resources into it, and it's only for people who actually want it

you dont have to spend $400 unless you want all that extra stuff, in which case you'll just buy it right? :wink:

polyslax
Posts: 2402
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:22 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by polyslax » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:54 pm

forge wrote:it's actually better that they used the AAS ones because it means they didnt need to put as much of their own resources into it, and it's only for people who actually want it
I guess my question is why spend any time/resources on it? The stuff is available already from AAS... along with a zillion other plugin options.

I'd like to see Ableton focus less on instruments and sample libraries, myself. I know they want to offer an all-in-one solution, but the price bloat kinda destroys this proposition.
Image Image

philipc
Posts: 313
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:29 pm
Location: Bristol, UK.
Contact:

Post by philipc » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:58 pm

polyslax wrote:
forge wrote:it's actually better that they used the AAS ones because it means they didnt need to put as much of their own resources into it, and it's only for people who actually want it
I guess my question is why spend any time/resources on it? The stuff is available already from AAS... along with a zillion other plugin options.

I'd like to see Ableton focus less on instruments and sample libraries, myself. I know they want to offer an all-in-one solution, but the price bloat kinda destroys this proposition.
It should be a good source of revenue for them and hopefully that'll give them more money to reinvest in Live itself, at least thats the optimistic way of looking at it! All the extras with the sole exception of Sampler hold absolutely no interest for me. I've tried out the AAS stuff but personally think Tassman kicks its arse..

rozling
Posts: 1759
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 9:48 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Post by rozling » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:03 pm

Tarekith wrote:Is the clip save button now available in multi-clip selections?
Nope. One other feature that ain't here: Sidechaining of VST instruments. Vokator when plopped in looks the exact same. I realise it'd possibly be difficult to implement this (just cos a VST has more than one input doesn't mean it's for sidechainign) BUT...

and this is a big BUT...

Couldn't the new Defaults folder take care of that?????? 8O

rozling
Posts: 1759
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 9:48 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Post by rozling » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:05 pm

philipc wrote:It should be a good source of revenue for them and hopefully that'll give them more money to reinvest in Live itself, at least thats the optimistic way of looking at it!
That's what I was hoping this time last year :(

downfader
Posts: 845
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:21 pm
Location: Southampton, UK
Contact:

Post by downfader » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:30 pm

I think they've listed some of the things I really wanted to see (multiple tempos to name one) but for me being a simple user, I had really wanted to be able to just open up the midi editor (with a decent, easy to see grid) and tap away on the keyboard and have the cursor advance one note at a time.

That would have been ideal for me, but I cant see any info listed that says it will do that.

Still, I'll see how others get on with the full release first before investing. I think they'd probably had enough of all this "I want this and that!!" from us. :lol: It must be bloody hard to program all these features and bugfix. :lol:
Official Streams
The Tired Horizon

evoid
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:09 pm
Location: Torres Vedras, Portugal
Contact:

Post by evoid » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:42 pm

OSC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


WHERE IS OSC???????

can't believe it.... 8O
http://www.ruigato.info
Live Suite 8b16
MacBook Pro 2.4ghz / 4 Gig RAM / 7200 rpm - Quad Q6600 / 8 Gig RAM - OsX 10.5.6
RME Fireface 400 - Jazzmutant Lemur - Nord Modular - Mercurial STC 1000
Reaktor 4 - Reason - Max/MSP 5.0.6

Post Reply