Live 7's Missing Features?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

Post by forge » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:29 am

friend_kami wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:Ableton really should make a Features Request forum.
imo, ableton should make a feature request forum, where they actually read the topics..
:roll: :roll: :roll:

what you really mean is read ONLY YOUR topics

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:35 am

friend_kami wrote:imo, ableton should make a feature request forum, where they actually read the topics..
:D <-- Mr. Happy Yellow Head soaring ever higher and higher, oblivious to the fact that it's bound to collide with a meanie rectangle with some annoying crap stored inside.

glu

Post by glu » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:53 am

okay both statements were unnecessary. This thread has been helpful to me, since i do not have access to a beta since i am on live 5. I have learned new features in live with this thread, and features that didn't make it in this update.
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

cbit

Post by cbit » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:55 am

Here's something i hoped would be included in v7. Perhaps someone doing beta testing could check out if there's any change here:

In v6 it wasn't possible to add transpose envelopes to an audio clip when its warp mode was set to 'repitch' or 'off'. In live7 are audio clip transpose envelopes possible in either of these modes?

I'm currently undecided about whether or not to upgrade, if live 7 allows this though i'll switch as soon as it's released.

thanks!
basementhum.blogspot.com. Adventures in computer music production.
Macbook 2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. 3GB RAM. OS X 10.5.8

headquest

Post by headquest » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:22 am

A big problem in Live 6 imho is that it is necessary to WARP a clip and then LOOP the clip in order to use CLIP ENVELOPES. In other words, without using warped audio, a lot of automation tasks are off limits.

I've not seen any indication that this has changed...

The irony is that in terms of *audio quality* this has been an important issue highlighted in the discussions and feature requests, and has been acknoledged by Ableton personnel. 64-bit mixing precision on the other hand has not been requested in any of those threads that I have read.

Surely if there is an issue with the quality of warping, misuse of warp modes, or necessity of using warp modes in order to access automation, solving those issues should have been the top priority in terms of improving audio quality; i.e.

1) better quality warp algorithm, e.g. Radius or Elastique Pro
2) better tutorials on using warp modes and their *downside*
3) ability to use clip envelopes without using warp modes.

Without making those changes, doesn't the old rule apply: "shit in, shit out", whatever the mix engine bit precision is?
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

cbit

Post by cbit » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:37 am

headquest: yes this has been a drawback for me too.

I wondered whether the inability to create transpose envelopes for clips whose warp mode is set to re-pitch had to do with a difficulty in recalculating the resulting size of the clip (and redrawing it)?

Your third point sums up my biggest wish for live:
"3) ability to use clip envelopes without using warp modes."
basementhum.blogspot.com. Adventures in computer music production.
Macbook 2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. 3GB RAM. OS X 10.5.8

jlgrimes

Re: Live 7's Missing Features?

Post by jlgrimes » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:08 pm

Kodama wrote:It's cool that 7 has the slicer, side chain (although only in some effects) & drum map thing, but I sure hope it's more stable, because none of the things I was hoping for are there.

- No record automation to Session (what the F*CK?)

- No midi learn improvements

- Still only 8 knobs per rack

- No custom automaps

- Operator never got the features it was missing from Sampler (midi mod matrix, envelope curves, etc..)

- Track organization is introduced, but only for the drum rack?

- Better filter, but only for Analog, instead of for Operator, Sampler. Autofilter, etc..

- 128 Published parameters plugin limit (promised fix in V4)

Overall, I think it's a good enough upgrade to get, I just was REALLY hoping for midi learn and record automation to Session (since version 1).

What about you guys? What were you hoping for?
Also add

-no keybinding support for Auto Quantize

-No way to change multiple clip lengths in Session View simultaneously

-VST window handling in its current state is clunky.

-No detailed Groove Quantize control

-No way to auto quantize 1/32nd notes

You are not alone

Hardtoe

Post by Hardtoe » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:52 pm

Groove Quantize

Myself, I alwasys thought this was was Live was all about - making a groove out of disparate parts - for me this would be an essential tool - know I have to do things with REX files in reason (using the copy & paste timing functions), but it really should be in Live.
Can you hear it?

LJN

Post by LJN » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:59 pm

REVERB REVERB REVERB REVERB REVERB - why no improvements??

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:26 pm

Actually, I always thought the Verb kicked ass, plate and spring modes would be cool though!
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:48 pm

LJN wrote:REVERB REVERB REVERB REVERB REVERB - why no improvements??
Theres tons of exelent free reverbs. Dont you think the programing time should be focused somewhere else? Like on the program itself? Arrange editing, folder tracks, macros and interface control handling? Wouldnt you rather be able to use and control the software proparly, rather then add what you can get anyway for free?

Just my 2 cents.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:53 pm

ze2be wrote:
LJN wrote:REVERB REVERB REVERB REVERB REVERB - why no improvements??
Theres tons of exelent free reverbs. Dont you think the programing time should be focused somewhere else? Like on the program itself? Arrange editing, folder tracks, macros and interface control handling? Wouldnt you rather be able to use and control the software proparly, rather then add what you can get anyway for free?

Just my 2 cents.
I think a new reverb would be nice, but they have done lots of other work in the Devices realm this year, so I guess it was just a case of 'all the dev slots are filled'. If there was a new reverb developed - what would get struck off the list?
And wouldn't everyone then say ... "why upgrade the reverb when you could have added a nudge / upgraded the drums / added time sigs / improved the audio / improved the midi / etc." Something would have been bumped to make way for reverb development. Especially if it was a good reverb!

It's just a case of what can be done with the resources available. You cant do everything at once.
This year it missed out, I bet it gets updated next year though - all the other 'core' effects such as EQ and compression are now pretty 'pro'

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:17 am

Angstrom wrote:If there was a new reverb developed - what would get struck off the list?
And wouldn't everyone then say ... "why upgrade the reverb when you could have added a nudge / upgraded the drums / added time sigs / improved the audio / improved the midi / etc." Something would have been bumped to make way for reverb development. Especially if it was a good reverb!
Exactly! Im not saying it wouldnt be nice though, but right now most people dont really need it. What we do need now is for instance folder tracks!

theque

Post by theque » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:01 am

seriously no groove quantize, i thought this would definately happen. boooo

WaveRider

Re: Live 7's Missing Features?

Post by WaveRider » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:18 pm

earwax wrote:
Kodama wrote: - 128 Published parameters plugin limit (promised fix in V4)
someone PLEASE tell me this isn't true...
ain't they dumb!!!!!!!! actually I got live 4 and was so mad about this I asked for a refund!!!! :twisted: it not a vst host if you cannot have acces to parameters!!!!!