(As a DAW) Live 7 vs. Logic 8

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
e.maynard

(As a DAW) Live 7 vs. Logic 8

Post by e.maynard » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:59 pm

Hey folks. I've been using Live since v.2 and I've always liked it.... although I mainly have used it in the past as a writing tool, while I recorded & mixed using a Radar & a console.

Well all of that has changed. I've downsized, I'm looking at picking up a Metric Halo 2882, and I'm going to work with a DAW from here out.

So as a DAW, can we compile the upsides/downsides of Live 7 vs. Logic 8? It'll be used for Tracking, overdubbing & mixing ITB.

Many thanks,
Erik

chrysalis33rpm

Post by chrysalis33rpm » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:09 pm

Oh boy...well, somebody had to start it. :wink:

Fledz

Post by Fledz » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:11 pm

Don't you think it's just a tad too early to compare?

Live 6 vs Logic 7 then sure, but 7 vs 8. One was just released and the otehr just had the beta released yesterday...

e.maynard

Post by e.maynard » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:20 pm

Well ya.... it's early. But hey, I figured we could kind of compare based on what we already know, as well as what seems to be included in the latest versions of both.

I've never used Logic, (the program that is), and they don't seem to have a demo version.

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:32 pm

As before:

Logic - better editing, more control
Live - more experimental, more fun

Don't think too much has changed in the the fundimental way you'd use either. You can make good music with both. Depends how you want to work.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:37 pm

Yeah, I think it's too early to day still. Do a search on Logic 8 here and you'll get a ton of threads about what it has that Live doesn't. Compare that with the new press release for Live 7 to see if it added anything.

Timur

Post by Timur » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:12 pm

Tarekith, can you say yet how useful the inbuild Wave-Editor and Soundtrack Pro 2 are compared to your Wavelab solution?

rnbeatz

Post by rnbeatz » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:22 pm

I'm a Logic and Live user from version 5 of both apps. People call Logic a midi powerhouse. In midi editing it is and is the reason I haven't switched completely to Live. Live on the other hand has become a midi performance powerhouse since version 6, and 7 looks even stronger in that department.

I would love to use just one app but they booth have huge benefits that I can't live without.
Rhythm N. Beatz
iMac G5 10.4.9 2GB / Duet / Live 7 / Voyager

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:30 pm

Timur wrote:Tarekith, can you say yet how useful the inbuild Wave-Editor and Soundtrack Pro 2 are compared to your Wavelab solution?
I still think wavelab is easier to use, but Logic could certainly replace it, and likely will for me one Sonalksis releases their mastering limiter (my good mastering plugs are all still PC based). Soundtrack I haven't had much time with yet :)

e.maynard

Post by e.maynard » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:56 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Timur wrote:Tarekith, can you say yet how useful the inbuild Wave-Editor and Soundtrack Pro 2 are compared to your Wavelab solution?
I still think wavelab is easier to use, but Logic could certainly replace it, and likely will for me one Sonalksis releases their mastering limiter (my good mastering plugs are all still PC based). Soundtrack I haven't had much time with yet :)
Tarekith... I've used Bias peak for my (pre)mastering as well as final touches for many projects. Can you (or anyone) compare Logic's built in WaveBurner to Bias Peak?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:22 pm

I've only used Peak a couple times when I first switched to OSX, so I'm probably not the best person to ask on that.

Sleep Tyght

Post by Sleep Tyght » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:29 pm

I love Live, but seriously?

If you're thinking about purchasing a Daw for recording..AND ESPECIALLY MIXING...Duh!....

Logic Studio hands down. I can't even imagine mixing in Live. Don't think I'd ever want to.
Whatever Doesn't Kill You, Only Makes You Stranger.

inmazevo

Post by inmazevo » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:34 pm

I don't get Core Audio Overloads with Live. :D
At its very core, a DAW has to actually PLAY the track. All the bundles in the world don't make up for that.

- zevo
infinite density, zero volume

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:36 pm

inmazevo wrote:I don't get Core Audio Overloads with Live. :D
At its very core, a DAW has to actually PLAY the track. All the bundles in the world don't make up for that.

- zevo
I don't get Core Audio overloads with either Logic or Live. It has mostly to do with the system, not enough CPU power or memory, second being badly written audio drivers.

--Kent

e.maynard

Post by e.maynard » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:36 pm

Sleep Tyght wrote:I love Live, but seriously?..........
Logic Studio hands down. I can't even imagine mixing in Live. Don't think I'd ever want to.
Can you please elaborate? What is inferior about Live for mixing in comparison to Logic? I've heard this argument before, but I'd love to hear some specifics.

I'm really trying to get my head around this.

Many thanks!