Does Live 7 have linked MIDI clips? (i.e. shallow copies)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
glenc

Does Live 7 have linked MIDI clips? (i.e. shallow copies)

Post by glenc » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:36 am

This is one major feature that is missing from Live 6 that is preventing me from using it as my primary DAW. What I'm talking about is the feature of almost all other DAWs where you can make a shallow copy of a chunk of MIDI (or an Audio Part in Cubase) so that when you modify one instance of it, all other instances are updated automatically.

Can anyone confirm/deny that this has been implemented in Live 7?

pat the dog

Post by pat the dog » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:23 am

apparently not. it's a real shame and like yourself, i'm also finding it a dealbreaker when it comes to using live as my primary daw.

there's a thread about it here, i'd love to see this implemented in a future version.

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

glenc

Post by glenc » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:35 am

Damn it. This is one of the first things that I hit when I was investigating using Live as a real DAW. I honestly can't believe that anyone attempts proper lengthy arrangements (which by their nature tend to contain many repeated chunks of audio/midi) without it. Oh well ... I guess Live is still basically a DJing tool for me ... and it's sooooooooooo close to being so much more. ARGH.

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:18 pm

Hi,

I'm moving this thread to the general forum, we keep the beta forum for bug chasing! :)

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

glenc

Post by glenc » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:58 am

No problems Amaury. Could you comment as to whether this has been considered for implementation in Live, and if not, could you offer some kind of reason why? I would have to assume that this has been discussed at some point by the development team - I can only assume that if it's not in there that it's for a good reason.
Mushroom Jazz-style soul-hop and jazz jams: http://www.shelltoesmusic.com

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:28 pm

glenc wrote:No problems Amaury. Could you comment as to whether this has been considered for implementation in Live, and if not, could you offer some kind of reason why? I would have to assume that this has been discussed at some point by the development team - I can only assume that if it's not in there that it's for a good reason.
Hi,

It's always hard to tell anything precise, if we don't yet know anything precise.. Of course, the wish is there. "Ghost clips" is a solution, to various problems. We do consider these problems, and hopefully will come with an elegant solution, someday. But there can't be no "promise", and no "we'll get ghost clips for sure".
So, not a veery satisfying answer, but be assured that yes, there's something, somewhere, in our minds.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:26 pm

id like to see this implemented but then sometimes its pretty handy the way it currently works.

glenc

Post by glenc » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:04 am

Thanks for the update Amaury. If you want some inspiration for how this feature should work (and the keyboard interface to it) ... just look at how Cubase works. As I posted here (http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 067#557067):

ALT + drag: create unique copy
ALT + SHIFT + drag: create linked copy
CTRL + R (my keybinding): unlink an existing linked copy

Makes editing so fast and easy, and gives you the flexibility of unique copies as well as the structural assistance of ghosted copies.
Mushroom Jazz-style soul-hop and jazz jams: http://www.shelltoesmusic.com

WaveRider

Re: Does Live 7 have linked MIDI clips? (i.e. shallow copies

Post by WaveRider » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:33 pm

glenc wrote:This is one major feature that is missing from Live 6 that is preventing me from using it as my primary DAW. What I'm talking about is the feature of almost all other DAWs where you can make a shallow copy of a chunk of MIDI (or an Audio Part in Cubase) so that when you modify one instance of it, all other instances are updated automatically.

Can anyone confirm/deny that this has been implemented in Live 7?
exactly if you have a song structure like ABA, if you change pattern A then your song should reflect that...

btw I would rather edit a list of triggered scenes than tracks and tracks of clips....

...cause if you want to try ABCA, it can be as simple as typing letters, but you have to copy large blocks of tracks

WaveRider

Re: Does Live 7 have linked MIDI clips? (i.e. shallow copies

Post by WaveRider » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:34 pm

forge

Post by forge » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:38 pm

Meef Chaloin wrote:id like to see this implemented but then sometimes its pretty handy the way it currently works.
thats why each clip should have a button like master/slave: original/alias

pat the dog

Post by pat the dog » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:57 pm

forge wrote:thats why each clip should have a button like master/slave: original/alias
and ideally a visual indication in the clip's rectangle in the arrange/session window to indicate that it's an alias, e.g. a shade based on the colour of it's master. also a right-click, select master would be handy!

i already get caught sometimes in the arrange window when i can't tell if a clip is looped across multiple bars, or if it's just one long clip. so it would be good if looped clips could also be recognisable by their colour.