I'm a bit worried about Ableton...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lezef

I'm a bit worried about Ableton...

Post by lezef » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:21 pm

Hi,

I've just checked that Live 7 will be released soon. As Logic 8 and Reason 4, Ableton have to make new version too.
... But : everything done for the next level will be put in an update. As I'm an owner of Live since version 4, I've pid for version 4, 5 and 6 (each time : 99 € !)
All I see in version 7 is improvement of many bugs and missed elements since live 5 (REX file, better midi sync, video export, better RAM management, etc)
And what about the handshake between Ableton & Cyclin'74 ? I hoped so much to see MAX/MSP objects integration in Live 7... That's a great improvement ! Even a better way to experiment things on Live rather than fill hard disks with tons of gigabits of samples !!!
Well - I'm not worried : I'm just getting mad !
See Ya' all !

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:42 pm

what about drum racks? the new midi and audio out devices? the new instruments?

the cycling thing will take longer to show itself as they didn't pair up all that long ago.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

radib

Post by radib » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:57 pm

Bla. This way ahead sucks, its like the Fifa Series by EA.
-

"after all it wouldn´t have been possible without the impossible."

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:01 pm

They may want to stretch a few more versions. Like its money first and then the customers

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:06 pm

Anything Abes and Cyclin' have got going on is way too soon to be featured in a program (live 7) which is going to be released within a month or two. Wait for Live 8.

Ableton have made great strides for me in Live 7. Most ofwhat I wanted (automatable timing sigs, rex support, better midi, video export, sidechaining, better drums - drum racks, etc) has been featured. These changes immediately make Live a more useful tool for me and less reliant on Cubase, which I hope to retire soon (Steinberg's attitude needs a major adjustment)

Dual monitor support and crossfades would have been nice but they are less important features in the way I work (I have cubase and soundforge if I need either of those features for now, although I'd like to see them in the next release.) Folder tracks can be a good timesaver, but I rarely use them in Cubase, which has had them since SX2.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

downfader

Post by downfader » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:08 pm

Ahhh come on guys, be reasonable. They've got a business to run and it takes time to impliment changes. And I think they have implimented a LOT of changes it seems for v7.

You cant please everyone all the time I guess. :)

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:43 pm

almost all of the additions to live 7 have come from the feature request forum
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

DJ VAKIS

Re: I'm a bit worried about Ableton...

Post by DJ VAKIS » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:11 pm

lezef wrote:Hi,

I've just checked that Live 7 will be released soon. As Logic 8 and Reason 4, Ableton have to make new version too.
... But : everything done for the next level will be put in an update. As I'm an owner of Live since version 4, I've pid for version 4, 5 and 6 (each time : 99 € !)
All I see in version 7 is improvement of many bugs and missed elements since live 5 (REX file, better midi sync, video export, better RAM management, etc)
And what about the handshake between Ableton & Cyclin'74 ? I hoped so much to see MAX/MSP objects integration in Live 7... That's a great improvement ! Even a better way to experiment things on Live rather than fill hard disks with tons of gigabits of samples !!!
Well - I'm not worried : I'm just getting mad !
See Ya' all !

The ABLETONIANS ARE NICE PEOPLE.
If you don't like Live,you can use other sofware.
Mf
http://www.myspace.com/djvakis
http://mix2r.fm/audio/user/221

----------------------------------------
MacBookPro 13" Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz 2GB
Live 8 -Operator -Sampler
AKAI LPD8-GENELEC 1029A-iPhone runing TouchOSC.

karmaofdove

Post by karmaofdove » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:39 pm

This is a great product with a great development team. I look forward to the release of live 7.

Igor L

Post by Igor L » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:27 pm

Mr Man wrote:They may want to stretch a few more versions. Like its money first and then the customers
Without the money they can't do anything for the customers.

kramerica

Post by kramerica » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:31 pm

Igor L wrote:
Mr Man wrote:They may want to stretch a few more versions. Like its money first and then the customers
Without the money they can't do anything for the customers.
Ableton is a business - it's purpose is to profit. Profit proves that they are providing a product or service that people want. But if it doesn't give customers what they want, they won't profit. [/capitalism101]
\,, / (^_^) \,,? /

lezef

Ok ok...

Post by lezef » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:38 pm

Hi everyone,

I see there's a huge bunch of supporters here ! It's quite normal indeed.
I'm an old supporter too for the 'Abes' but then ? I noticed today that I've paid for Live 4, then 6 months later I've brought update for Live 5 and then 9 months later, another 99 € for Live 6.
And do you noticed (you ALL) that there's a huge amount of little bug fixes (eg : Live had almost 10 version of it's own and since Live 5, there's no version 5.5 or 6.5 ?) For me, it's a real customer's problem here.
Why there's not any crossgrades between live 6 and 7 ? Put some improvements in Live 6 (from the future Live7) and make it as Live 6.5, for example...
And as the rumours say : "You have to wait for Live 8 to bring Max/Msp objects into it" !!! What a guideline !!
And don't be so 'exclusive' about this story : there's so much DAWs over there, each one has its own good features. I'm quite sure that YOU ALL use one or two of them because of this fact... I'm a Reason user from version 2.5 (and now 4), I've put my fingers into Cubase (still LE version) and for few months I've been impressed by Logic. So, where's the problem ?
I'm just talking about customers policy at Ableton. And I don't think it's so fair enough...
So now, I'll give the mic to you...

thefool

Re: Ok ok...

Post by thefool » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:42 pm

lezef wrote: I've paid for Live 4, then 6 months later I've brought update for Live 5 and then 9 months later, another 99 € for Live 6.
Most of the places i come from actually has free updates. Compilers (either free or very nicely priced), vst's, flstudio(previous daw) and lots of other stuff (windows in a level. surely its not free, but they last long and updated quite frequently, from time to time a new service pack etc..)

I don't mind to pay something if they're worth it. I pressed the purchase button 10-12 days before i was allowed to get a free upgrade to live 7 though, thats a bit fucked up.

no idea why i posted this but hey you passed on the mic :)

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:51 pm

If you don't like it, don't buy it!
If you expect every wish to be fulfilled, and everything to work you the way you want, you'll probably be disappointed.
If you think you can do better, start your own software company, revolutionize the way music is made with your new product, release everything for really cheap, with lifetime free upgrades, and include every feature everyone wants. Lots of people will buy it, or at least own a cracked copy!

thefool

Post by thefool » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:58 pm

In my personal opinion i think the live 7 update looks good, because of the 64bit engine and the compressor with sidechain support. Of course it lacks a few things, but i still think it looks ok. The only reason i'm complaining is because he complains even though he was so lucky to have it for 6 months where i've had it for 10 days and then need to spend another 100€ on top of the 5-600€ i just spent on it :!: