Live 7 - SLICER - Stale Bread - Review

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:30 am

you can always turn a simpler to a sampler by right clicking on it.

I don't think you can swap simpler for impulse, tried it.

damnit, I mean to practice some max/msp tonight but people keep coming up with good questions. lots of details to check out. leave me alone!!!!
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Dominik

Post by Dominik » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:34 am

longjohns wrote:Well I can tell you exactly what I'd do if I wanted 256 slices...

I'd cut the sample in half first

:roll:
recycle have the possibility to make a soundfont.

Dominik

Post by Dominik » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:36 am

lots of details to check out. leave me alone!!!!
right! we have some time. :D

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:00 pm

Tone Deft wrote:you can always turn a simpler to a sampler by right clicking on it.

I don't think you can swap simpler for impulse, tried it.

damnit, I mean to practice some max/msp tonight but people keep coming up with good questions. lots of details to check out. leave me alone!!!!
and thats where the new 'defaults' kick in..

load a Sampler,
group it as a drum rack,
drag this drum rack into the 'when invoking the slice command' defaults folder..

when you now slice a clip the drum rack is filled with samplers instead of simplers..
very cool..

you can even do your own macro mapping on the default preset so the sliced drumrack has custom macro control..
Last edited by Poster on Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

globalgoon

Post by globalgoon » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:02 pm

is there any way of auto detecting the transients?

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:04 pm

globalgoon wrote:is there any way of auto detecting the transients?
no.. but I assume that would be something they eventually will add..

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:39 pm

The best part about recycle is getting to put your CD in the drive all the time!!!

TITBAG

Post by TITBAG » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:47 pm

i think its an outrage that the limit is 128. i regularly need 129 slices for the major works i am currently constructing with letitia dean. ableton MUST give me free upgrades for life, or £10k out of court settlement

gaspode

Post by gaspode » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:51 pm

Dominik wrote:
poor recycle does the job with 92 (is it 96 ?)

in this case.
no need to upgrade.
still following this 64 bit lie.
dump and stupid.
who needs 64 bits when 8 bits is clearly enough...

gaspode

Post by gaspode » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:57 pm

Poster wrote: load a Sampler,
group it as a drum rack,
drag this drum rack into the 'when invoking the slice command' defaults folder..

when you now slice a clip the drum rack is filled with samplers instead of simplers..
very cool..

you can even do your own macro mapping on the default preset so the sliced drumrack has custom macro control..
This is a question ala the MPC...

Is there a way to lock to a specific slice/instrument and then play it with different pitches across the pads instead of playing different slices/instruments.

Not entirely necessary for me in Live, but it'd be a super sweet feature if you could do this. On the MPC it isn't too hard to slice up a loop to your 16 pads... begin playing them as different notes or then spread one of those slices across all of the pads for different pitches, velocity, envelopes etc... All of this can be done without having to having extra midi tracks too. I am not sure if this is because each slice under the hood has it's own midi track, but it sure is handy when you need it.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:09 pm

You can set it up that way, but it will require a bit of manual adjustment, and would be more permanent than the MPC 16 levels feature

Each chain comes mapped to a single MIDI note by default.

But you can change that to accept all notes as input for the chain.

Then on that chain you'd put a Sampler, with it's key zone mapped for 16 consecutive notes, ideally beginning on a C.

On the main drum rack you'd probably want to keep the 16 pads which correspond to this zone clear of other samples.

(But you could layer different sounds on top of each of the 16 pitches of the other sample, if you wanted to) ;)

gaspode

Post by gaspode » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:03 pm

longjohns wrote: Then on that chain you'd put a Sampler, with it's key zone mapped for 16 consecutive notes, ideally beginning on a C.

On the main drum rack you'd probably want to keep the 16 pads which correspond to this zone clear of other samples.

(But you could layer different sounds on top of each of the 16 pitches of the other sample, if you wanted to) ;)
I think I noticed on the video that you could drag pads/slices off of the drum slicer and then make them a different 'track'. As you said, not quite the same, but it probably works more or less as well. I'll have to give it a try and see how it feels when I get a chance to play with it.

Greg

pat the dog

Post by pat the dog » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:13 pm

gaspode wrote: I think I noticed on the video that you could drag pads/slices off of the drum slicer and then make them a different 'track'.
I didn't understand that part of the video at all. Any beta testers care to elaborate on what was actually going on there? does it extract the midi out of the clip or something?
Last edited by pat the dog on Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:14 pm

Yeah, you dan drag them to another track, but not into a Sampler on another track, that's all. It will be another Drum Rack

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:41 pm

Tone Deft wrote:you can right click from the Live browser to slice every x beats, it tells you how how long the sample is, and how many slices x beats become.

from there you open the chain list and hit the A button for 'auto chain select'

when you play a sample it brings up the simpler that the sample is on. I adjust sample start/end times there. play a slice, check the start/end points.

from there I remove samples that aren't used, move the slices around, maybe put them on white keys only.

by hitting the A button it goes pretty fast.

Thanks, that sounds like really nifty (and uncomplicated) workflow.

Will they let me buy Live 7 now and run the beta until the actual release?

STRATEGY