Bypass record modifier

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
popslut

Post by popslut » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:30 pm

forge wrote:...once people can record CCs in session ...
I still can't believe that they can't. That is the most ridiculous omission imaginable.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:18 am

the solution is simple: add an track arm in the arrangement view so that when its on, it records the tweaking and whatnots, and if the track arm is off, it doesnt, even though you are tweaking.

make it work independently from the master record:

ie:
track arm off = do not record anything tweaked on this track.
track arm on = record track automation.

perhaps someone should post a request on the features forums :)
not me, even though i would definetly want it, because ive got to go.

dr.wackler

Post by dr.wackler » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:43 am

friend_kami wrote:the solution is simple: add an track arm in the arrangement view so that when its on, it records the tweaking and whatnots, and if the track arm is off, it doesnt, even though you are tweaking.

ie:

Please not! I don't want to arm/disarm every single track every time I record something.

IMO what we need is 3 simple global On/Off buttons to set what should or should not get recorded with Global Record:
- Clips
- Automation
- Audio/MIDI Input

The latter (Audio/MIDI Input On/Off) would solve the problem of accidentally writing empty MIDI clips or recording audio to armed tracks in Arrange, when all you wanted to do is record some clips from within Session View or record some automation.

I could live with your suggestion though if there was a key-command for setting the status of all tracks at once (a bit like in Logic, where you can set all tracks at once to read/latch/touch/write/off mode).
But I'd definitely prefer the 3 global buttons. Simple and straight forward.

Last edited by dr.wackler on Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

forge

Post by forge » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:54 am

dr.wackler wrote:
friend_kami wrote:the solution is simple: add an track arm in the arrangement view so that when its on, it records the tweaking and whatnots, and if the track arm is off, it doesnt, even though you are tweaking.

ie:

Please not! I don't want to arm/disarm every single track every time I record something.

IMO what we need is 3 simple global On/Off buttons to set what should or should not get recorded with Global Record:
- Clips
- Automation
- Audio/MIDI Input

The latter (Audio/MIDI Input On/Off) would solve the problem of accidentally writing empty MIDI clips or recording audio to armed tracks in Arrange, when all you wanted to do is record some clips from within Session View or record some automation.
yes - well I always thought 2 - just clips/sequence and automation - I guess you already have the record arm buttons for number 3 and it relates to clips too as new clips are created while recording

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:56 am

dr.wackler wrote:

ie:

- Clips
- Automation
- Audio/MIDI Input

I could live with your suggestion though if there was a key-command for setting the status of all tracks at once (a bit like in Logic, where you can set all tracks at once to read/latch/touch/write/off mode).
But I'd definitely prefer the 3 global buttons. Simple and straight forward.
so what if it defaults to record on then?
if you dont want a track to record, just set it to off.

speaking of keyboard commands, if it worked like that, or like the track groups in protools it would be even more easier, yes.. good idea.

dr.wackler

Post by dr.wackler » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:15 am

forge wrote:I guess you already have the record arm buttons for number 3 and it relates to clips too as new clips are created while recording
The global "Record Audio/MIDI Input" On/Off button would override the "armed" status of single tracks. That is, even armed tracks will not record from input (be it audio or MIDI), while the ability to play instruments on armed tracks would still be given.

A scenario I run into quite often:

I have some MIDI track(s) armed and maybe even some audio tracks, have some arrangement already, and now want to either punch in (record) some clips from Session to Arrange on a single track (i.e. overdub my existing arrangement) or just record some automation to some tracks.
To make sure nothing else gets overwritten on other tracks, I have to disarm all tracks, and afterwards arm them again (because they were armed for a reason).

The "Record Audio/MIDI Input" On/Off button would allow me to quickly temporarily bypass the "armed" status of all tracks, do my overdubbing, and quickly enable the "armed" status again.

forge

Post by forge » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:22 am

dr.wackler wrote:
forge wrote:I guess you already have the record arm buttons for number 3 and it relates to clips too as new clips are created while recording
The global "Record Audio/MIDI Input" On/Off button would override the "armed" status of single tracks. That is, even armed tracks will not record from input (be it audio or MIDI), while the ability to play instruments on armed tracks would still be given.

A scenario I run into quite often:

I have some MIDI track(s) armed and maybe even some audio tracks, have some arrangement already, and now want to either punch in (record) some clips from Session to Arrange on a single track (i.e. overdub my existing arrangement) or just record some automation to some tracks.
To make sure nothing else gets overwritten on other tracks, I have to disarm all tracks, and afterwards arm them again (because they were armed for a reason).

The "Record Audio/MIDI Input" On/Off button would allow me to quickly temporarily bypass the "armed" status of all tracks, do my overdubbing, and quickly enable the "armed" status again.
ok - sounds like a good idea!

dr.wackler

Post by dr.wackler » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:43 am

friend_kami wrote:so what if it defaults to record on then?
I guess we are looking at it from two different perspectives:
-- You want the option to decide on what track something (automation and/or clips) should or should not be recorded.
-- I (and I think forge too) want the option to decide what should get recorded (automation and/or clips and/or input), no matter on what track.

Personally I don't see any need for an additional option to decide on what track something should or should not be recorded, because for Input we have the track arm buttons already. And if you don't want to record Automation or Clips to some specific tracks, then you would normally just not launch clips or move faders/knobs on those tracks (or you delete Stop buttons from scenes and what not).

friend_kami wrote:speaking of keyboard commands, if it worked like that, or like the track groups in protools it would be even more easier, yes.. good idea.
Like I said, I would still prefer the simple global On/Off buttons. Logics automation modes do come in handy at times, but most of the time I just toggle all tracks at once between whatever mode.

The beauty of Live is that it offers simple solutions to complex problems: For example the "Back to Arrange button" is a far greater solution for temporarily overriding some existing automation by a static value.
- In Logic I would have to go to that specific track and set automation mode to 'off' just to ensure that my static value doesn't get changed by automation as soon as I start the sequencer.
- In Live I simply tweak my knob, and automation will be bypassed for that knob. I don't even have to think about changing some setting beforehand, I can just intuitively do what i wanted to do. And when I want automation to be active again I simply hit the "Back to Arrange button". Very elegant.

forge

Post by forge » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:31 am

dr.wackler wrote:
friend_kami wrote:so what if it defaults to record on then?
I guess we are looking at it from two different perspectives:
-- You want the option to decide on what track something (automation and/or clips) should or should not be recorded.
-- I (and I think forge too) want the option to decide what should get recorded (automation and/or clips and/or input), no matter on what track.

Personally I don't see any need for an additional option to decide on what track something should or should not be recorded, because for Input we have the track arm buttons already. And if you don't want to record Automation or Clips to some specific tracks, then you would normally just not launch clips or move faders/knobs on those tracks (or you delete Stop buttons from scenes and what not).

friend_kami wrote:speaking of keyboard commands, if it worked like that, or like the track groups in protools it would be even more easier, yes.. good idea.
Like I said, I would still prefer the simple global On/Off buttons. Logics automation modes do come in handy at times, but most of the time I just toggle all tracks at once between whatever mode.

The beauty of Live is that it offers simple solutions to complex problems: For example the "Back to Arrange button" is a far greater solution for temporarily overriding some existing automation by a static value.
- In Logic I would have to go to that specific track and set automation mode to 'off' just to ensure that my static value doesn't get changed by automation as soon as I start the sequencer.
- In Live I simply tweak my knob, and automation will be bypassed for that knob. I don't even have to think about changing some setting beforehand, I can just intuitively do what i wanted to do. And when I want automation to be active again I simply hit the "Back to Arrange button". Very elegant.
regarding the back to arrange button - I think there should definitely be one for every track (even Robert from Ableton has advocated this too so I'd say that might go in our favour! :wink: ) that would solve the problem of recording automation or clips to each track elegantly

I think it should be a hidable button like the crassfade is now - with a button on the right of the screen to show/hide like the (X) or (D) buttons

dr.wackler

Post by dr.wackler » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:52 am

forge wrote:regarding the back to arrange button - I think there should definitely be one for every track
Absolutely.
forge wrote:I think it should be a hidable button like the crassfade is now - with a button on the right of the screen to show/hide like the (X) or (D) buttons
I think it could be a 'function clip' function:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 383#532383

forge

Post by forge » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:10 am

dr.wackler wrote:
forge wrote:regarding the back to arrange button - I think there should definitely be one for every track
Absolutely.
forge wrote:I think it should be a hidable button like the crassfade is now - with a button on the right of the screen to show/hide like the (X) or (D) buttons
I think it could be a 'function clip' function:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 383#532383
but if it was midi and key assignable, and we had automation in session then we could do something like this

I can imagine building up then pressing a number of buttons at once to slam back to the arrangment only on some tracks