Drum Synth

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
grizzler

Drum Synth

Post by grizzler » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:01 pm

So what do you use, cos impulse samples are limiting and i am running out of others. So yeh, lets hear what you use! :D
http://www.myspace.com/chemikalrecipe

Ableton live 6, X- session , Axiom 25, Mbp 2.2ghz 2gb ram, BCF 2000, Reason 3, Zebra

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:12 pm

kaffein

Post by kaffein » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:31 pm

I'm thinking about purchasing Microtonic (love the sound) but it really needs solo buttons for the individual sounds, and hotkeys for various menu contexts... (Random all/Random Instrument)

http://www.soniccharge.com/

I use Dramatic a bit, so I can second that one.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:52 pm

I made my own out of racks, it's not that hard.
I just layered up some sine waves in Simplers and dropped some effects on and mapped a load of values.
there's a selection of drums, the drum types vary a bit, there are two sorts of kick drum for example, three different types of snare ... etc. . Each drum has a set of 8 macros which determine the sound, so kick one has 'pitch drip, distortion tone, punch. Things like that.

Depends if you are into making stuff. I obviously am, and I'm also a cheapskate.

Ableton are coming out with a Livepack with Live 7 which is going to be very similar (I think) but a lot more comprehensive. Obviously it's a LivePack for DrumRacks. But it's perfectly possible to do it with normal racks .. because that's how I've been doing it for the past year

m:o

Post by m:o » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:55 pm

kaffein wrote:... but it really needs solo buttons for the individual sounds, ...
STRG + click on the mute button on pc.

blank

Post by blank » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:25 pm

I use rack too for electronic drums, pretty flexible/routable.

Best way i've found yet.

-B
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

fragmentated

Post by fragmentated » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:06 pm

i've been using operator lately as a drum synth (which is even easier now with drum racks in live 7). i find it a little more versitile for me than microtonic.

as for a drum sampler i find guru hard to beat for my workflow. it is just so easy and inspiring for me to work with.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:07 pm

Operator is awesome for drums... unbeatable, even.

baltazar

Operator

Post by baltazar » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:09 pm

+ 1 for Operator here. I use it more and more every day for drums, percs and hh

Angstrom

Re: Operator

Post by Angstrom » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:20 pm

baltazar wrote:+ 1 for Operator here. I use it more and more every day for drums, percs and hh
although it does depend if people own it,
if not .. a couple of layers of Simpler and some effects are perfectly fine. The main thing is to understand a little of how the old drum machines made sound, because they had very limited sound production capacity. A lot less than we have now. A bit of googling on how an 808 works and you can Simple up a decent drum machine in no time. :)

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:29 pm

Nepheton, battery or Guru is what i'm looking at ....
Anyone used any of the casre to comment?

interceptor

Post by interceptor » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:38 pm

MicroTonic here.

Its the most stable vst/au i´ve ever come across. And it has showed that it can stand the test of time. Its really a workhorse. Not perfect, but in my opinion the best drumsynth you could get in software.

And the many presets are really good too. Harnessing the power of the uTonic to the fullest. Its actually capable of synthesizing a rock beat with guitar!

fragmentated

Post by fragmentated » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:52 pm

jeskola wrote:Nepheton, battery or Guru is what i'm looking at ....
Anyone used any of the casre to comment?
i have battery and guru. i prefer guru though. can't speak for nepheton.

battery is a great drum sampler and its strongest point is the 12+ gig library it comes with imo.

guru is capable of many things battery can do but i find its interface much easier to work with. guru's sequencer is great and has the ability to drop and drag midi files straight into live. its especially great with drum pad controllers - as if they were made to go together.

i just find guru much more inspiring and fun to work with. definitly try the demo though. they both have strong points but for me it's about workflow so guru wins.

blank

Post by blank » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:19 pm

Machinate wrote:Operator is awesome for drums... unbeatable, even.
Exact, for synthetic drum this synth is awesome.

Can't wait to see it in action in drumtrack
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

efexx

Post by efexx » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:15 pm

Ultrabeat in Logic 8. That thing rocks. A Drumsynthesizer and Drumsampler in one box + sequencer with multiple lanes and something simalar like parameter locks in the machinedrum. By far the best software-solution for drums for me. But only for logic so
I will stick with live and my machinedrum.