Automatically select device for remote control w MIDI?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sporkles

Automatically select device for remote control w MIDI?

Post by sporkles » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:10 pm

Is it at all possible to automatically give a device on a track the remote control
hand symbol when you highlight its track? In Live 7, if nothing else?
It's a bit counter-productive grabbing the mouse to click the relevant device
when you can select and arm the track without touching the mouse. Obviously,
Live has no way of knowing which device you want to activate for remote
control, so how about selecting the first device in a chain (e.g. a rack, which
often would be the logical choice)

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:07 pm

It isn't possible in Live 6 at least, which is a shame.

On the advice of some helpful people here I implemented a workaround. It IS possible to select the device with the keyboard (repeated alt-arrows if I remember correctly) so with the aid of Boomes midi translator I managed to automap my Kaoss Pad 2 to different racks just by pressing the preset buttons on the KP2. Worked very well.

I made some quite detailed posts about it in the Tips & Tricks forum. Search for my name and Kaoss Pad or similar. The posts vere most likely made around january this year (+/- a month or so).

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:30 pm

Michael-SW wrote:It isn't possible in Live 6 at least, which is a shame.

On the advice of some helpful people here I implemented a workaround. It IS possible to select the device with the keyboard (repeated alt-arrows if I remember correctly) so with the aid of Boomes midi translator I managed to automap my Kaoss Pad 2 to different racks just by pressing the preset buttons on the KP2. Worked very well.

I made some quite detailed posts about it in the Tips & Tricks forum. Search for my name and Kaoss Pad or similar. The posts vere most likely made around january this year (+/- a month or so).
Cool - I'll look into that. Thanks!

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Michael-SW wrote:It isn't possible in Live 6 at least, which is a shame.

not to mention you can change the midi output of your kaoss pad so that it outputs x on channel 1 cc1 and y on channel 1 cc2 and touch on channel 1 cc1. then go into lives preferences and trick it into thinking the midi coming from your kaoss pad is a bcr2000 and presto you now have the first 3 macros of any rack mapped to your kaoss pad.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

thisissami

Re: Automatically select device for remote control w MIDI?

Post by thisissami » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:34 am

Just bumping this thread from way back. Does anybody know if this has become possible (in a less roundabout way) sometime in the last 6 years?

sami