Best way to prepare video to use in Live for a performance.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:53 pm

LiveXXX wrote:Its going to be 2 audio tracks of music and 1 track with the mic input open. A few plug-ins for vocal effects. 1 video track.
Then you could easily go for rewired Arkaos, that could take it to another level.
Still you could stay with Live on the surface since you can use Lives midi tracks to control everything in Arkaos, watchout for the coming up VST that will let you control lights with Live, very cost effective add on.

LiveXXX

Post by LiveXXX » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:39 pm

Hi Everyone,

Ok from Final Cut Pro I want to export the in the JPEG format as suggested. I see Motion JPEG A, Motion JPEG B and Photo - JPEG... which one are you guys suggesting?

And just to verify my footsteps in Final Cut I go File -> Export -> Using Quicktime Conversion then select Quicktime Movie then click Options and under Video Settings that's where I pick the compression codec... Am I correct?

I really don't want to mess this up... especially because it will an hours worth of video so I don't want to redo my work.
- Oliver Chesler

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:27 pm

People go for the Motion when they want to scratch ( which sucks anyway on computer, want scratch get Pioneer DVJ or forget about it), for your purpose Photo jpeg will work fine, just consider the size. I mean what displays will be used. Beamers are mostly 4.3, plasmas are wide screens. While for abstract images is not that bad, it looks bad on screen with real world images. Same goes for black stripes. There is a compromise format also used by BBC and popular only in UK 14:9
Most people go for 80% QT compression but even lower might work for you, try before you take the go with some huge batches. As mentioned before keeping same sizes, same codecs etc, is safer way. My experience was that converting everything to same format, codec etc solved all previous problems.

LiveXXX

Post by LiveXXX » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:41 am

Hi Guys,

So I tested most of the codecs available to me from Final Cut Pro and you were right... Photo-Jpeg is the best. Least CPU Hit, small size...

I wrote a article about it here:
http://www.wiretotheear.com/2007/10/25/ ... -on-a-mac/
- Oliver Chesler

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:46 pm

LiveXXX wrote:Hi Guys,

So I tested most of the codecs available to me from Final Cut Pro and you were right... Photo-Jpeg is the best. Least CPU Hit, small size...

I wrote a article about it here:
http://www.wiretotheear.com/2007/10/25/ ... -on-a-mac/
Photo JPEG also makes each frame a key frame, smoother 'scratching' for apps that support that.

Maybe this goes without saying, you get the projected video along with Live on the same machine without obscuring your view of Live by setting up the projector as a second monitor and then moving the video player window into that second monitor window, setting the video player to full screen.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

PiR8

Simple way

Post by PiR8 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:56 pm

Hi! I was found a way... The program's name is Moyea Cideo Converter (PC). Many input formats and output formats. I preferred MP4 video with AAC sound... It is PERFECT for Ableton Live 7...

Check this: http://www.my-video-converter.com
"640Kbytes enough for everything... - Bill Gates, 1981" ... enough?!

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:31 pm

I use Photo JPEG 100%, 1024 x 768 pix in Arkaos.

By outputting to the native resolution of your projector, you'll get the sharpest image, as pixels are mapped one to one.

adrjork

Re: Best way to prepare video to use in Live for a performance.

Post by adrjork » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:20 am

Hi guys, I've a doubt:
I render 640*640 photo-jpeg videos for Arkaos, but Quicktime asks me to export at low...mid...high quality.
A 5' video in HiQ p-jpeg is 20mb, while in MidQ is 4mb.
I run Arkaos on a macbookpro (256mb video card), so, in your opinion, a MidQ p-jpeg could be managed better than a HiQ p-jpeg? Or it's (more or less) the same? (Note that I have to use 2 or 3 layers in Arkaos, with transparency effects.)
Thanks