Live Vs. Acid Pro 3.0-----Now that Live Has Been Out and Upd

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mikra

Live Vs. Acid Pro 3.0-----Now that Live Has Been Out and Updated???

Post by Mikra » Sun May 26, 2002 12:45 pm

what do all of you think. I'm looking for real comparisons, (I understand that live is for live performance, and i'm not looking to compare that facet of the program)

I'm speaking about Live on Acids level, What do all of you users think. those of you who use acid
do you still, and if so why, and those of you who did stop using Acid please say why. this question may have been asked before but Live has been updated and out for a little while so i'm looking for detailed comparisons.
so how do you feel, which do you like better, why, who's using both,?

thank you for your insight.

Mbazzy

Exit Acid

Post by Mbazzy » Sun May 26, 2002 2:15 pm

I've been using Acid for quite some time, but since I have Live , stopped using Acid all together

I don't think you can de-couple the fact that Live has that -well- live feature. When I compare trax I've done in Acid and trax in Live, those in Acid sound far more sterile because one tends to arrange '[too] perfectly' the sound ,where in Live! you can add that dynamic live touch, without going off-beat nevertheless ....
quantising 'by feeling'

The only thing I really miss in Live! is the ability to export trax as individual wav's automagically for further mixdown and mastering ....but this is in the works!

Further on Live is far more stable than Acid (Wouldn't dare to use Acid in a Live situation) and eliminates the need of thinking how to reproduce your Acid-compositions in non-studio settings.

I don't seen - in arrangermode - what you can't do in Live what you can in Acid ... on the contrary.
Last edited by Mbazzy on Sun May 26, 2002 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

Mikra

ok where is everybody? 25 people read the post so far...

Post by Mikra » Sun May 26, 2002 8:00 pm

so alot of people are intrested in this just like me. don't be shy folks, can we get more in depth with this?

thanks Mbazzy

mikra

up to 97 views

Post by mikra » Tue May 28, 2002 8:28 am

and still no more people chimming in, come on folks, I know all of you have used acid, what do you think?

ngoldpdx

up to 97 views

Post by ngoldpdx » Tue May 28, 2002 11:20 pm

mikra wrote: and still no more people chimming in, come on folks, I know all of you have used acid, what do you think?
Limited use of Acid, but here's why Live is better:

*The 'live' recording feature

*Live's effects are excellent & it also has support for VST effects (not sure if Acid has this)

* Rewire support for using with Reason, etc.

* Visually more appealing

* Better midi support.

NG

Gerald-o

Post by Gerald-o » Tue May 28, 2002 11:46 pm

Live is a much more imaginative program than ACID but I must disagree that it is more stable. I am running LIVE in OSX on an 800Mhz Titanium laptop with 1Gbyte RAM and I have lost count how many times it has quit or frozen the computer. It may be more stable on a PC but I have not had the energy to try installing it on my 1Ghz PIII box because the registration process is so daunting. When it is working it is the most fun I have had making computer music. I hope it is just that my laptop is new and Ableton will fix the bugs but so far all they have said is they have not seen my problem before. I really love Live but I would not go on stage with it . Hopefully they will continue to improve the code and make it work on an Apple running OSX.

Mikra

now folks are coming out of the shadows...good.

Post by Mikra » Wed May 29, 2002 1:45 am

ngoldpdx what do you mean by limited use of acid,
what are you doing in acid that you are not doing in live, would you expand on that.

Gerald-o sorry to see you're having problems, look
at it this way, since it is os x you know ableton is going to get to clearing it up eventually.

keep'em comin folks! this is going to help us and ableton.

davemanning

Post by davemanning » Wed May 29, 2002 2:17 am

I used Acid to produce about 10 different songs - mostly just demo stuff for my friends and I. I definitely concur w/ the statement that Acid makes tracks sound a little sterile. I found myself frustrated with Acid - I spent way too much time concentrating on the individual loops, getting them right, etc.

Since Acid was the only thing I really used my PC for, I sold it once I started using Live on my PowerBook. :-)

Dave
---
Dave Manning

Gerald-o

Post by Gerald-o » Wed May 29, 2002 5:37 am

Davemanning,
Is your powerbook a 500Mhz running OS9.2 by any chance. I think I am going to try switching back to 9.2.

davemanning

Post by davemanning » Wed May 29, 2002 12:15 pm

Gerald-o wrote: Davemanning,
Is your powerbook a 500Mhz running OS9.2 by any chance. I think I am going to try switching back to 9.2.
It's a 500MHz model, but I run OS X.

Dave
---
Dave Manning

David Manning How Many Tracks are you getting on Your Ibook

Post by Guest » Wed May 29, 2002 8:06 pm

and what are the specs memory harddrive, external drive and are you using ram tracks or streaming from the disk, thanks for the info man

ngoldpdx

now folks are coming out of the shadows...good.

Post by ngoldpdx » Thu May 30, 2002 8:30 pm

Mikra wrote: ngoldpdx what do you mean by limited use of acid,
what are you doing in acid that you are not doing in live, would you expand on that.
I mean I haven't used Acid much, just the lite version on my non-music PC.

Now I've got Live on my Mac not much reason to play with Acid.

Seems like the biggest strength with Acid over Live is that it automatically transposes and matches pitch/key.

blaknoize

Live vs Acid

Post by blaknoize » Fri May 31, 2002 2:46 am

While Live is superior to Acid in many respects (ReWire/VST support for one. Mac compatability for two), it needs just three things to be the total Acid-killer:

1) More quantize options
2) Individual track export
3) Peak-matching stretching (like ReCycle) rather than the grid method currently used.

Mikra

Blaknoize says-3 more things to be an Acid-killer, what do you folks think?

Post by Mikra » Fri May 31, 2002 2:55 am

Blaknoize, thanks for replying, want to ask you why do you think the recycle type stretching is better than the grid kind Live uses, and does anybody else feel this way?

Dave Manning what are the complete specs of your Ibook?

Mikra

Share what you know

Post by Mikra » Sun Jun 02, 2002 8:18 pm

:idea: