Dear Mr. Henke, we are voting now for Looper in Live 8!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live

Ableton Looper for Live 8

Yes, yes, yes!
87%
No
13%

Total votes: 214

samplehead

Post by samplehead » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:49 pm

You know I'm all for what you have described, but just to get the ball rolling if we can have "first loop sets tempo/sync/quantization" then I'll be happy already. And doesn't everything you propose still basically need this feature first? If so we can all be happy - I can use Live itself as the looper with just that one enhancement of "first loop".

Apparently this was already available in Live 3 but got removed after? (not sure, i never tried Live until version 5).

One thing to note, unless absolutely every aspect of the "looping" interface is controllable with a midi footswitch, it won't fly... we needs our hands to keep playing our instruments.

melocoton

Post by melocoton » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:01 am

samplehead wrote:You know I'm all for what you have described, but just to get the ball rolling if we can have "first loop sets tempo/sync/quantization" then I'll be happy already. And doesn't everything you propose still basically need this feature first? If so we can all be happy - I can use Live itself as the looper with just that one enhancement of "first loop".
Well, sure if that's such a simple thing and if it was already a part of Live before then that should be a bare minimum right? Personally I would like some actual looping features though. I would like to be something that would be a major addition to Live 8 and not just a little halfway measure tacked on to appease a few people. Besides it's all so personal, might as well build something as comprehensive as possible. Personally I would never use the feature you describe just as you apparently would never use sound-on-sound. So why not make both?

samplehead wrote:One thing to note, unless absolutely every aspect of the "looping" interface is controllable with a midi footswitch, it won't fly... we needs our hands to keep playing our instruments.
Well, sure. Most everything in Live is already easily mappable with the MIDI learn. Why would this be any different?

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:04 am

Well, sure. Most everything in Live is already easily mappable with the MIDI learn. Why would this be any different?
Undo that statement.

melocoton

Post by melocoton » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:13 am

And no, I don't want to "just get the ball rolling." I would like to see a seriously well thought out, fully featured and elegantly designed looping feature. I've been waiting for it since Live 3 and it's probably the only thing that would bring me back to Live at this point. In 2008 I don't want to them to bring back a feature that I never used in Live 3 just so we can have this discussion all over again in 2009. Since Logic 8 came out I don't find myself opening Live anymore and this is the first update that I'm not going to buy. Which makes me sad as I used to love Live. But it's kind of frustrating when the only major updates are some plugin instruments that Logic had years ago and longtime feature requests like looping or strip-silence style automatic slicing have gone ignored for years.

samplehead

Post by samplehead » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:17 am

melocoton wrote:I would like to be something that would be a major addition to Live 8 and not just a little halfway measure tacked on to appease a few people. Besides it's all so personal, might as well build something as comprehensive as possible. Personally I would never use the feature you describe just as you apparently would never use sound-on-sound. So why not make both?
Ok, we pretty well agree then. You know, I would use sound-on-sound, and probably try to integrate it into my setup. It's just that right now Live is my Looper already but I'm forced to use a click track for the first loop, which petty as it may sound, totally destroys the creative spirit.

Knowing the history of Ableton, adding new "instruments" to Live, i.e. Sampler, Simpler, etc. It kinda makes perfect sense for them to add "Looper". It fits the mould. And it would be the perfect the place to offer all the typical sound-on-sound features. I am 100% for that.

But Ableton, please give us "first recorded loop sets tempo" as part of Live 7... there's still time!

melocoton

Post by melocoton » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:20 am

samplehead wrote:but I'm forced to use a click track for the first loop, which petty as it may sound, totally destroys the creative spirit.
Yeah, I don't do Live shows so this doesn't bother me but I could see how that would be a major problem.
samplehead wrote:But Ableton, please give us first loop sets ... as part of Live 7... there's still time!
Um, knowing the history of Ableton, I would say it's too late. :P 7 is out. Maybe next year!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:28 am

sheesh, why not just record, grab the mouse, set the loop to get the bpm and get on with it? with some practice you can do that in a few seconds. :roll:

did you see this:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... light=loop

why not start with that and see if you can figure out a further tweak.

or just whine like a leetle gurl.

BUT I am thoroughly with you on Ableton programming a fully featured looper with some bells and whistles, especially a feature where the first loop sets the length for the rest, that would be incredibly fucking uber cool. just saying there are ways to do it otherwise.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

melocoton

Post by melocoton » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:38 am

I'm sorry Tone Deft, did you say something? I just see boobies. Bouncing bouncing boobies. 8O

melocoton

Post by melocoton » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:39 am

New feature for Live 8, Animated Gif Looper!

samplehead

Post by samplehead » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:45 am

Grab a mouse midst performance? You've gotta be kidding. Are you a musician?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:50 am

:P

I'm liking these ani-gif boobie posts, I can say anything I want and it goes unnoticed.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:53 am

samplehead wrote:Grab a mouse midst performance? You've gotta be kidding. Are you a musician?
I don't play out, no. I do loop guitar/bass and whatever I can get my hands on.

I hear ya, I'm just not going to give up and not use alternatives that are freaking fun and quite usable.

Live does have outstanding potential in this area, and ya know what? when/if it comes to light it'll be the ones who keep pushing the issue that we'll have to thank.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:54 am

Dear Henke,

Missing you loads ... where are u ?

I'm gonna find AAS, that american wank stain that stole your voice overs and murda their ting.

Still not going to buy Live 7 though.

Bye.
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

12ax7heaven

Post by 12ax7heaven » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:00 am

For the love all that is holy......... please.

rithma

Post by rithma » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:46 pm

The looping world is LIVID with Ableton for not simply including "OVERDUB" functionality in clip recording! Its an easy i/o function. What people dont realize is that most of the hardware loopers out there just dont cut itin one way or another, and Live would have it DOWN if they just included that simple feature. Some people use live for music creation that doesnt involve any Live, sound on sound looping, but to those of us who really livefor that, WOULD GIVE OUR LEFT NUTS FOR THIS. IT IS CRUCIAL. IT WOULD PUSH THE SOFTWARE OVER THE TOP

take care
Rithers
thanks again
www.rithma.org/blog