Using music for films

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
MONKHOUSE

Using music for films

Post by MONKHOUSE » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:10 pm

I'm a producer and composer and interested in writing music for films. Does anyone here do this? I use ableton all the time by the way! :D

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:24 pm

hi alex

i did this recently :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOYs8fzb1zo

see you tomorrow mister

MONKHOUSE

Post by MONKHOUSE » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:26 pm

wicked andy!

downfader

Post by downfader » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:24 pm

Its a very hard industry to get in on. Myself and a couple of other muso friends tried to for years and all failed to. Unless you have what the director/production team wants or know someone on the inside then its a very steep uphill climb.

Thats not to say it shouldnt be tried.

You can pitch premade music to agencies and production teams, or you can try and get signed up to an agency as part of their composer catalogue and it varies from country to country from what i last read.
Official Streams
The Tired Horizon

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:30 pm

As downfader says, it is very hard to pitch yerself. You usually need to get asked by the director (once they clear it with the producers). Unless, of course you have a hit in the charts - then the cred rating changes, as you have a bit of clout.

People mostly will stick to the "devil they know" rather than chance working with a new guy. Because, as with a lot of situations, it isn't about talent so much as it is about whether you are OK to work with. Personal recommendation again.

Another problem to be aware of (IMHO of course) is that many directors are fairly clueless when it comes to music (and definitely audio) - as are many video editing houses, so be prepared to have yr meisterwerk crushed by compression or reduced to nothing in the mix behind the dialogue... :roll:

Anyway, to be more positive: a good way to get into the biz is to advertise/offer yr skills to students at some good film schools, because today's clever students are tomorrows big players.

MONKHOUSE

Post by MONKHOUSE » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:26 pm

Thanks a lot guys - I suspected that was the case but was keen to get yor views-

cheers