EMI 2|6 BAD for XP/Win2000 - other suggestions?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Rx

EMI 2|6 BAD for XP/Win2000 - other suggestions?

Post by Rx » Tue May 28, 2002 1:40 pm

I just got a reply from Emagic (after about 2 months, I might add) as I have not been able to use multiple outs, and it freaks when Live's cpu meter goes above 14%. Here's their response:

"i am sorry, but with ableton live and windows2000 are the same emi latencies possible as with win xp. With logic and other software like NI products or Cubase are latencies like 6ms and multiouts without problems possible."

I'm not that familiar with the way software or drivers are programmed, but can anyone shed some light as to whether this is a case where their driver sucks or is Live that much different from Cubase, et al, that it's more difficult to write a compatible driver? I'm guessing their driver sucks. I have no problems with Cubase with regards to the CPU usage, but I don't use multiple outs with it.

If y'all would be so kind, I'd like some suggestions for a good audio interface to use with a laptop and Windows XP, with a monitor out a must.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

gooner

Post by gooner » Tue May 28, 2002 7:12 pm

if I were you I'd look at the Hammerfall DSP Cardbus system - its pretty expensive, but after deliberating for ages, and hearing nothing but complaints about the emi 2/6 or quattro and other usb devices, I've decided to fork out for the Hammerfall (+ its got midi). In some circumstances the usb stuff works fine, but I'm not going to risk it....

:)

Rx

Post by Rx » Tue May 28, 2002 7:21 pm

What's the damage on the Hammerfall? I don't anticipate playing out until the end of the year, so I've got some time to save the cash.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

os

Post by os » Tue May 28, 2002 8:10 pm

just as well - apparently the cardbus interface for the hammerfall is slightly delayed by manufacturing difficulties.
but I agree that it sounds like an ideal solution.
PS. it's also available from Steinberg as the "Nuendo Audiolink" - depending where you live you may find it easier to get hold of in this guise.

Rx

Post by Rx » Tue May 28, 2002 8:54 pm

Ouch - there is no way I'm spending $1000 for an audio interface. I'm not making any money from this endeavor yet, though I'd certainly spend whatever it took to have the most stable performance if that were the case.

Anyone have some cheaper options?
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com