Feedback on Padkontrol or Trigger Finger

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
solosys

Feedback on Padkontrol or Trigger Finger

Post by solosys » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:30 am

I'm looking to purchase either of these two but was wondering if anyone has feedback on the comparison. Which is better? I know the TF has more knobs and faders, but that is the least of my concern being I'm using another controller already.

went to the gypsy

Post by went to the gypsy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:07 am

i own both. te TF sits in the closet. the PK sits on my desk. my main issue with TF was sensitivity--it has none. i had to nearly bloody my fingers to make it work.

-wttg-

thumperjack

Post by thumperjack » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:17 am

went to the gypsy wrote:i own both. te TF sits in the closet. the PK sits on my desk. my main issue with TF was sensitivity--it has none. i had to nearly bloody my fingers to make it work.

-wttg-
pretty much like the axioms
aburgener wrote:don't include me in your stupid fucking bitchfest because i made two posts about kebabs.
MBP-UB 17" 3.06 C2D, 4 gig RAM, Live 7.0.10, MOTU ultralite
guitarrig/ezdrummer/sd2.0/automat/battery/reaktor/massive/absynth

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:10 am

went to the gypsy wrote:i own both. te TF sits in the closet. the PK sits on my desk. my main issue with TF was sensitivity--it has none. i had to nearly bloody my fingers to make it work.

-wttg-
same here the padKONTROL is the winner.
*** Image GAFM ***

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:12 am

I used to own a Trigger Finger and sold it, didn't like it much. I do own a padKontrol now and love it. However, I recently went on a European tour with my band and I actually had to "google" how to make the padKontrol less sensitive. The PA's we played through were so loud that sometimes the padKontrol would randomly trigger a pad and therefore clips in Live. Luckily, after I turned the sensitivity down I didn't have that problem anymore.

Take care,
Ken

gp23

Post by gp23 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:24 am

I bought a PK after reading so many positive reviews and comments about it. I sold it just a few weeks later. OK, the pads are good and sensitive, but not uniformly so. A couple of the pads on my PK were just less sensitive enough to the others as to be annoying. I was disappointed with the XY pad which felt cheaply made and wasn't touch-sensitive, but more 'press-down-a-bit-sensitive'. As for the paltry two knobs, I couldn't believe that they didn't send out the full 128 range, but skipped in twos and threes. Useless.

I've now had a TF for a few weeks and I like it about 100 times better. More controls, pressure sensitive pads, more equally responsive pads... A lot cheaper too.

I've had no problem with sensitivity on my TF. OK, I'll admit it isn't quite as sensitive as the PK, but it isn't enough to be a problem for me.

bendybones

Post by bendybones » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:42 am

gp23 wrote:I bought a PK [...] the pads are good and sensitive, but not uniformly so. A couple of the pads on my PK were just less sensitive enough to the others as to be annoying. [...] XY pad which felt cheaply made and wasn't touch-sensitive, but more 'press-down-a-bit-sensitive'. As for the paltry two knobs, I couldn't believe that they didn't send out the full 128 range, but skipped in twos and threes.
I'm aware that, gven my sig, my comments on this subject, may be taken as biased, but:
TBH, I really think you got a dodgy unit there.
I've tried several pK and TF units and preferred pK hands down, but more importantly, didn't experience the problems you descibe.

I have experienced some of what u mention - eg the knobs - i can see why you might say they could be more sensitive, but for many including me, this is not by any means enough to be a problem.

Also Solosys mentioned not being concerned with knobs / faders.

@Solosys:
This just has to be said - click my sig
MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.5.8, Live 8 Suite, Logic Studio 9, Ultralite Mk3

Timur

Post by Timur » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:22 pm

Bendybones, are you connected to Stray?

As far as I understand that Total Kontrol Package is a preset/template for Bome Midi Translator, isn't it? If so it should be possible to customize it for other Midi controllers easily (like my Footcontroller FC-300) and thus safe me alot of work by not having to set all this up myself. :)

Back to the topic. I will buy me one of those Pad controllers anytimes soon and did not read all too many good things about the TriggerFinger's pad-response. I tried the PK and the Akai MPD24. The Akai surely was less sensitive than the PK plus the edges feal a whole lot different to the center (you can push the edges more into the chassis than the center with less resistance). I will have to test them all again, but anything will be better than the pads on my Remote SL (if you hit the Remote hard you hear a spring-like sounds coming out of it).

gp23

Post by gp23 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:22 pm

Sure, just giving my own perspective. :)

Perhaps it was a dodgy PK. But I read about others who had experienced similar issues. Anyway, you're happy with your PK and I'm happy with my TF. So all is well!

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:51 pm

padKontrol works better for people who never played real instruments. from percussionist view it has faults, inconsistency- easy to test with any midi sequencer, still usable unless unit is rerally shitty, the other thing is it chassis, board flexibility which leads to random triggering of unwanted pads.
The worst it is play by touch not by hit.
Conga, Djembe, bongos tabla you name it, there are no drums played by touch so for anyone who trained, got his perc motoric together using padKontrol might not be the most suitable. If you set pK to real percussion sounds it is really shit for a player, since there is that traind reflex, coordination. However it wont happen if used for different stuff, sound that you dont have motoric expirience. Then it is like learning new percussion instrument from null.
My advice -for those who play real instruments, and want to use pads for "realistic" standard percussion sounds. TF or Akai will be better choice.
Those who only know computers, electronic etc pK might be good enough or better.
Perfect solution- having all of them and set each for the sounds that works the best for each.

solosys

Post by solosys » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:03 pm

I used to play Congas. My goal is to add some live percussion to my DJ sets. I'm new to this but I'm assuming there is a couple of ways. I can use the PK to trigger some drum loops, or use it to play Congas/Bongos, etc. In that case what would be better? PK or TF?

bendybones

Post by bendybones » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:07 pm

@Timur:
At the risk of hijacking the thread I'll keep this real short.
-TKP used to be something like a template. Stray and I are now in business as "Kontrol Freqs" and TKP is much more.
-Watch my sig for detials, and when the site is fully open, our forum will be taking requests for any controllers people would like to see catered for.

Back to the topic.
The Akai surely was less sensitive than the PK plus the edges feal a whole lot different to the center (you can push the edges more into the chassis than the center with less resistance).
Good point.
The pK is the only controller I've found who's pads have an 'even response' ie hitting a pad nearer the edge doesn't lower the available velocity range like on most controllers.
This Korg demo vid shows you can hit a pad right on its corner and still get a 127 velocity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynxAJutlEnI
rikhyray wrote:all is well
for sure

@rikhyray
I have to disagree with all but the last line of ur post for a whole bunch of reasons, but to keep it brief, I'm a trained percussionist and percussion teacher - tabla, darabuka, dholak, conga, bongo, djembe, tama, douns, etc etc.
MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.5.8, Live 8 Suite, Logic Studio 9, Ultralite Mk3

TITBAG

Post by TITBAG » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:19 pm

pad kontrol owns trigger finger like i own this board

compositeone

Post by compositeone » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:22 pm

Personally I don't see how the pads can be "too sensitive" when there is a way to turn it down.

Just turn it down and it will be like a "real drum"? I would prefer to have the extra sensitivity and not use it than not have the choice. That way if needed, its there.

Would be nice if the PK didn't have such a plastic feel, but this does make it nice and light weight which is always a winner in my book. As you can guess I'm a PK user and I went through the exact same thing you are when trying to buy. I went for the PK and have never looked back. :)
http://www.myspace.com/compositeswerve

"So what kind of music do you make?"
"Both kinds...... drum and bass."