New Laptop.....Vista or XP

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:04 am

Dj-Grobe wrote:Lol i use PCs from DOS age, and have windows 1.0 copy on some CD in some place jajaj.....its true !!!

I work a lot with 3Dstudio long long time ago.
they didnt have cd
s back then only floppies so you must of backed it up to cd years later
My first system had 2 x 5 1/4" floppies
MacbookPro Core2Duo 17" 160 gb SATA 2gb ram.
Korg M3
1 Terabyte External Drive
Presonus Firebox
Live 6,

forge

Post by forge » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:07 am

just to update

I cleared some space off my HD then booted with the GParted CD to partition the space into a FAT32 part so I could install XP on it and also use it to share with OSX86

GParted told me that there were some bad clusters and I needed to run chkdsk /f

it reminded me last time I did that chkdsk kept hanging on about 3-8%

I did a bit of a google and I think I found there have been some cases of Vista doing something strange that makes that happen - unfortunately the only solutions seemed to be formatting IIRC

because I also have OSX86 I wondered if that might have something to do with it

the computer is only a few months old, I wouldnt have thought the hard drive is dodgy

anyway, this time I really needed to get on with my work so I booted up in OSX86 and have been sitting here happily working with no problems all afternoon

I might stay here until I can afford a Macbook Pro! ;-)

Bollocks to Microsoft :evil:

shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:10 am

forge wrote:just to update

I cleared some space off my HD then booted with the GParted CD to partition the space into a FAT32 part so I could install XP on it and also use it to share with OSX86

GParted told me that there were some bad clusters and I needed to run chkdsk /f

it reminded me last time I did that chkdsk kept hanging on about 3-8%

I did a bit of a google and I think I found there have been some cases of Vista doing something strange that makes that happen - unfortunately the only solutions seemed to be formatting IIRC

because I also have OSX86 I wondered if that might have something to do with it

the computer is only a few months old, I wouldnt have thought the hard drive is dodgy

anyway, this time I really needed to get on with my work so I booted up in OSX86 and have been sitting here happily working with no problems all afternoon

I might stay here until I can afford a Macbook Pro! ;-)

Bollocks to Microsoft :evil:
Hackintosh ?
Korg M3
Presonus Firebox
Live 6,

forge

Post by forge » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:12 am

shaneblyth wrote:
Hackintosh ?
well, I think HackBook is what you'd call my current setup! :wink:

if only Steve would release OSX for PCs - for those of us who already have them

on this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Z7eal4 ... re=related

he actually said Apple view themselves as a software company which gave me some hope! 8)

shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:26 am

forge wrote:
shaneblyth wrote:
Hackintosh ?

he actually said Apple view themselves as a software company which gave me some hope! 8)
the simple fact is if you release OSX for all hardware then you have to support all hardware configuration and drivers and then you end up with one of MS's problem.. The reason why OSX is very stable is at least partially the control of the hardware. Less options less problems.
I dont envy what MS has to deal with because of these and other things
Korg M3
Presonus Firebox
Live 6,

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:34 am

shaneblyth wrote:
Dj-Grobe wrote:Lol i use PCs from DOS age, and have windows 1.0 copy on some CD in some place jajaj.....its true !!!

I work a lot with 3Dstudio long long time ago.
they didnt have cd
s back then only floppies so you must of backed it up to cd years later
My first system had 2 x 5 1/4" floppies

LOL.i know that i have the FLOPPY IMAGES saved on some cd.............in some place...... with other really very very older software....
On that age my machine is a i386 with mathematic coporo, video card 256k or 512k memo not really remember (i think trident 512k) , 150mb HD and 4mb ram !!! lol

Render complex animations on that machine with 3dstudio take complete weeks and more !

forge

Post by forge » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:08 am

shaneblyth wrote:
forge wrote:
shaneblyth wrote:
Hackintosh ?

the simple fact is if you release OSX for all hardware then you have to support all hardware configuration and drivers and then you end up with one of MS's problem.. The reason why OSX is very stable is at least partially the control of the hardware. Less options less problems.
I dont envy what MS has to deal with because of these and other things
I'm sure they could do it and still be better

it's the hardware makers who are ultimately responsible for drivers

OSX86 is a shining example - it runs amazingly well - the only problems with it are the drivers that hackers havent been able to work out because the manufacturers have made them closed - but even then it doesnt stop them alot of the time

if HP for example wanted to make their hardware available for OSX then I'm sure they could with little fuss

and I think the massive amount of money they could generate could make up for the extra support burden

Actually I think it's probably Bill Gates who's stopping it, not Steve Jobs

jez3122

Post by jez3122 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:53 am

I seem to have opened a can of worms starting this thread.....
By the way i bought my new laptop on saturday, and as much as i wanted Xp the choice of laptop with that is shit .......everything is vista,
i'm not the most tech savy person i'm just a musician so when i looked into the the task of removing vista and installing Xp it scared the living shit out of me......So i settled on Dual core2 2.0 GHZ 7450 2Gb ram and 400gb harddrive(Toshiba)with Vista premium
so far i'm very impressed with it's performance.....i know it's early days but i can't get the CPU meter in live above 60% no matter what i do
Thanx for the info lads :wink:
Live 7.0.16, core 2 Quad 2.66ghz 4 gb ram,ESI U46SE,Vestax VCM-600, M-Audio Axiom 25,
evolution249c,Maudio Xpression pro, various guitars,Akai mpd16, NI intact,YamahaMSP3's,zoom323, a Ukulele and a Crate of Stella.

forge

Post by forge » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:49 am

jez3122 wrote: i looked into the the task of removing vista and installing Xp it scared the living shit out of me......So i settled on Dual core2 2.0 GHZ 7450 2Gb ram and 400gb harddrive(Toshiba)with Vista premium
so far i'm very impressed with it's performance.....i know it's early days but i can't get the CPU meter in live above 60% no matter what i do
:lol: I know what you mean - but it's only really scary if you are dual booting

hopefully you'll be okay - but as I said it wasnt the CPU that has been hitting its limit - the CPU meter's been fine here, I just find things slow down for no apparent reason

I stil cant believe you can get a 400GB drive in a laptop!!!

I had an IBM thinkpad with about 4GB I think - actually I had an early powerbook that probably had 100MB!!!

8O

I'll let you know how I get on with SP1 when I can be bothered booting in VIsta

thefool

Post by thefool » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:00 am

1) never had to wait more than something around 1.75 milliseconds for the startmenu to appear :) no i can't count that fast but there is just about 0 delay.

Searching runs fine here.

AND djgrobe, ableton live 7 latest beta runs just fine and smooth here :)

BUT AGAIN check with your hardware. Or simply test an illegal version and purchase if you like it (hey i know i should not tell to do that, but really, its the best way in this case.)

forge

Post by forge » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:13 am

thefool wrote: Searching runs fine here.
have you ever used spotlight?? even the same league for me

naburo

Post by naburo » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:51 pm

xp 8)
Setup:
Ableton L11 beta, MAX8, Push2, Monome, Guitars and Kemper-Amp

soundcloud, blog, twitter

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:01 pm

jez3122 wrote:I seem to have opened a can of worms starting this thread.....
By the way i bought my new laptop on saturday, and as much as i wanted Xp the choice of laptop with that is shit .......everything is vista,
i'm not the most tech savy person i'm just a musician so when i looked into the the task of removing vista and installing Xp it scared the living shit out of me......So i settled on Dual core2 2.0 GHZ 7450 2Gb ram and 400gb harddrive(Toshiba)with Vista premium

You should've been scared, don't listen to forge, he's a maniac ;) :lol:

I fall more into DJ Grobe et al's camp, haven't had problems with vista. Your sig says you are using 6.0.7, but if you have not upgraded to Live 6.0.10 you should because some weirdness can occur with 6.0.7. Also, if you are using Vista check for any Vista-specific bugfixes for various drivers for audio/MIDI stuff you're using.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:03 am

some performance reviews starting to come in:

http://exo-blog.blogspot.com/2007/11/vi ... e-dud.html

i dont think the issue is whether Vista is usable, it certainly is. The issue is which performs better at the moment on the same hardware, and the answer is XP right now.

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:07 am

FOR you !
: )